You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

kenny press conference today

Gym Beglin

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What all this tells me is that refs are consistently inconsistent. The laws of the game (like any religious texts) are there to be interpreted. Because refs are somewhat human, interpretation is subjective and therefore they are open to errors. It's just that some refs make more errors than others. Kevin Friend made a fair few errors in the game against Sunderland last season - but for which we benefitted. At Fulham, he made errors again, only this time, we didn't benefit from his mistakes. The trick is to weed out the rubbish refs and get new ones in who know how to do their job. I look forward to that when it happens. Over to you, FA.

The argument that a tackle, with both feet off the ground and the lower foot at shin height, is not a sending off offence is doomed as it is a clear red card offence.

Your starting point is wrong. When the tackle is made, the left foot is on the ground. The right foot connects with the ball. Dembele isn't even in the line of Spearing's trajectory at that point.

I notice you ignored the point I made about your accusations of hysteria.

No chance Kalasoma - It's gone on long enough for it to be bloody obvious to Everyone by now that it is quite clearly if not deliberate? Then a selective form of 'blindness' or Myopia that afflicts the FA when it comes to selecting/promoting Referees and one that miraculously? Affects few other teams bar us - Usually when we stand up for ourselves to one of the other big sides and/or the FA Or when the latter of those two Want to make an example regarding something. And don't forget also? New refs would be neutral and treat the likes of say.......Man U? The Same as all other clubs - Can't have That can we? Not for God's Own Club. No, no, no that wouldn't do or at least such is what the FA Top Brass would be saying in private the very Minute such a suggestion is put to them.

Actually? Or so they will continue I've No doubt at all - Far better to just let the Status Quo continue & thus that Wonderful, Cuddly Young & not at all bitter 'Sir' Alex & his marvellous club that are an example to all us Heathens might then carry on their merry way getting everything they want and trampling all in their path underfoot without any thought of so petty a concept as consequeces for their actions; Or at least? So the Gentlemen (Not) of Her Majesty's Great English Press think. As the man himself once said about Us of all teams (quite laughably now you consider what's gone since then - 1991 Charity Shield? I think it was anyway) "Another Season, Nothing Changes". And I don't say this Often about Him but? That says All there is to be said really.........................

NB Oh & if you don't believe me about the Myopia/Selectiveness of it all? Then look at whose in charge of the referees - Mike Riley with His former record of assisting the Mancs out of tight spots? Need I say more? I think not for Him being where he is speaks volumes and is as big a finger to us as the one Luis was done for showing to the crowd the other night. They couldn't make it all clearer If they tried with Neon Lights & 6 foot High Adverts - Really they couldn't. And after the recent 'Charge' debacles involving us? Well put it this way - I very much doubt as to whether much of that will change any time soon......................

Edited by Redshadow

I would happily take a club fine of £20k for crowding the ref as we do it very rarely.

BUT from here on in ensure there is massive pressure on the FA to impose proportional fines on the Mancs and Chavs every time they do it. Repeat offences of course require sterner penalties.

Time to think about it a bit and play the long game.

Yep, take your meaning there Xerxes, quite possibly; And re' the quote? - Ferguson actually Said that about us after the Charity Shield of '91 I think when we got a penalty in a draw with his mob for a foul on Barnes - really don't like quoting him but did so there with a reason.

Your starting point is wrong. When the tackle is made, the left foot is on the ground. The right foot connects with the ball. Dembele isn't even in the line of Spearing's trajectory at that point.

I notice you ignored the point I made about your accusations of hysteria.

That was my view of it as well. In fact, if I remember correctly, Jay had won the ball before Dembele had even put his foot in the ground.

Then Jay connected with the standing leg.

What was Jay supposed to do? Think 'You know what, I better not try and win that ball in case a Fulham player stops in front of me'?

I can see why he was sent off - I just think it was incredibly harsh.

Just seen the press conference on LFCTV. Kenny looks relaxed and comes across as very dignified. I notice he mentioned at least 4 other incidents of players making gestures to the crowd- hopefully the club will present this sort of evidence to the FA in response to the charges, and if the FA still decide to punish Suarez/LFC then there should be an all out media campaign to ask why the other incidences were not punished similarly.

Re Spearing- the interpretaion now seems to be whether the player is in full control of the challenge, and if not it is deemed reckless. Jay went for the ball and got it cleanly before Dembele was even in shot, but he did have both feet off the ground on the follow through, so it could be argued he was not in control. Mind you, Rodwell wasn't in control either, but his got rescinded. However I can see why the club may have decided not to appeal.

Liverpool are being way to lenient with the FA and their Manc bias....

It should be easy to put together a compilation of instances of ref crowding and two finger salutes by other players and teams. Put together a 15 min video, call a press conference, embarrass the FA and come out fighting...

Right now, we complain a little and let the c****s get away with murder, whilst the drunk up the road sits there with a big fat smile on his face..... (Luckily it probably froze for the short term yesterday)

rafa-benitez-22.jpg

Its a red for me, all day long, I think Jay was naive in that he knew he was winning the ball and thought he could get a bit of the player too and get away with it. There was no need for him to follow through the way he did.

The FA are fucking us over big style all season tho.

It was no more a red than stevie's against man u in kennys first game back in charge. Ref cocked it up big time. As Kenny stated Jay won the ball cleanly and the impact happened after. Cant even see why the fuck Xerxes is arguing the point to be honest.

Kenny Dalglish uses DVD to show 'truth' about sinned-against Liverpool

• Manager shows videos of flashpoints in Fulham match

• Flurry of accusations against Luis Suárez irk Scot

reddit this

Paul Wilson

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 8 December 2011 23.00 GMT

Article history

Two years ago it was Rafa Benítez with his folded sheet of paper containing various "facts" about perceived Liverpool grievances. On Thursday in the same room Kenny Dalglish went one better, with a DVD display illustrating why Liverpool were more sinned against than sinning at Fulham on Monday, a match that earned the club a double dose of disciplinary trouble from the Football Association, with Luis Suárez accused of making an offensive gesture to home supporters and Liverpool charged with failure to control their players following the dismissal of Jay Spearing. "If anyone wants to see the truth it's on the screen," the Liverpool manager said.

"If we have infringed rules we will have to accept it and take the punishment, but I'm not certain what the rules are when it comes to disputing a decision," Dalglish added. "What I do know is that referees are inconsistent with their interpretations. The only intent in Jay's mind was to get the ball, and normally our discipline is good, as our film clip can prove.

"If you look at the way Craig Bellamy was being provoked [by Clint Dempsey] at Fulham you can only say his discipline was unbelievable. He didn't commit a foul, he didn't respond to the player shoving his head into his face, and yet he was the one to get booked. Once that happened we ended up having to take him off so we weren't left with nine players."

Footage from the game does appear to support that point, and Dalglish said it would be presented to the FA if Liverpool were asked to defend themselves, along with clips of Suárez being wrestled to the floor in the penalty area by Brede Hangeland and getting nothing, Andy Carroll being fouled and Bellamy being wrongly penalised for a harmless tussle with John Arne Riise.

"We just want to be dealt with fairly," Dalglish said. "We want the same rules to apply to us as to everyone else. At Fulham I think we got the short end of a lot of 50-50 decisions that on another night might have gone our way. Anyone watching the clips can see that for themselves."

Uppermost in Dalglish's mind is the latest charge to hit Suárez, two months after the Uruguayan was accused of racial abuse by Manchester United's Patrice Evra, a case which the FA has still to bring to a conclusion. Apart from being dismayed by the time that original investigation is taking – "Nine weeks to reach a decision is a joke, if it goes on any longer it will soon be due a testimonial" – Dalglish fears his player is being deliberately wound up by opponents and receiving scant sympathy from referees. "I've seen the picture [of the gesture] now and I'd rather be sitting here talking about football," the Scot said.

"The charge only landed yesterday afternoon and I have yet to speak to him about it, but everyone at this club will stand by him. We know what the truth is. Because he's such a fantastic player, opponents who can't stop him on the pitch find other ways to get at him. People are entitled to tackle him, but tackle him fairly. That's all we are saying.

"People are just jumping on the bandwagon now and accusing him of this, that and everything else. He is happy here, happy in his environment, but we need the outstanding issues to be cleared up before we can start talking about the man as a footballer."

Dalglish claims he can list four other players who have made similar gestures to the one Suárez made and escaped without charge, though he is reluctant to say who they may be. He disagreed that the Suárez gesture to the Fulham crowd was in any way comparable to the Wayne Rooney outburst into a television camera at West Ham that saw the Manchester United player charged and banned for a couple of games last season.

"I don't see any similarities between the two incidents at all," he said. "Saying they are a bit like each other is like saying a man is a bit like a woman. We have picked out at least four other instances that were just the same and the players were not charged. All we are asking for is some clarity on the matter."

Despite being without a league goal since the start of October, a fortnight before the United game and the trouble with Evra, Dalglish is convinced Suárez remains popular with supporters and will continue to be central to the club's plans.

"The contribution he makes is important, it is not necessary for him to score every week as long as he continues to terrorise people," he said.

"As long as opponents have to resort to verbals to try and get to him he must be doing something right. The fans recognise that. They will be right behind him on Saturday, because they know what's been going on. At the end of the day he's not been getting a fair crack of the whip."