You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in football - is there a problem?

theacademic

10 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

3 is shite. I am dual SIM and use 3 most of the time but in the ground always flip to my Vodafone . The clubs should up their game and provide decent WiFi, they've been promising it for years. 

I reckon they are terrified of people filming the game to friends and family breaching the terms of their mega deals with tv companies.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I reckon they are terrified of people filming the game to friends and family breaching the terms of their mega deals with tv companies.

Really? I don't think someone filming from their seat would replace watching from a genuine TV experience. Personally I just think until they can find ways to make money out of it, they've no reason to make it work, so they won't. It's not very often clubs do anything that benefits the fans unless they think they can make money out of it. They're not in a true market - we don't choose anfield because of the facilities, we choose it because of what is on the pitch - and not because it's the best, but because that's where we we taken once as a kid or whatever your reason. If you take cinema for example, the quality of the theatres has continued to improve as you can go anywhere to get the same content. That's just not an option for people who go to football, so the facilities remain shite until they realise increased investment will give a direct return. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Really? I don't think someone filming from their seat would replace watching from a genuine TV experience. Personally I just think until they can find ways to make money out of it, they've no reason to make it work, so they won't. It's not very often clubs do anything that benefits the fans unless they think they can make money out of it. They're not in a true market - we don't choose anfield because of the facilities, we choose it because of what is on the pitch - and not because it's the best, but because that's where we we taken once as a kid or whatever your reason. If you take cinema for example, the quality of the theatres has continued to improve as you can go anywhere to get the same content. That's just not an option for people who go to football, so the facilities remain shite until they realise increased investment will give a direct return. 

I think what I said and what you said are similar reasons. Making money and a potential to lose it,in their eyes.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I genuinely didn't understand that banner last night. Was it just a white lives matter and almost signed by Burnley so we knew it was their fans or was it someone complaining about what Burnley have done with BLM? 

It was funded by some racist cunt. 

I actually felt gutted for Ben Mee watching him speak after the game. He looked genuinely upset and I thought he was going to drop the f bomb quite a few times. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

It was funded by some racist cunt. 

I actually felt gutted for Ben Mee watching him speak after the game. He looked genuinely upset and I thought he was going to drop the f bomb quite a few times. 

It was a fucking shit message, I just thought it was confusing. It was clear it was some right wing tit, but I genuinely didn't quite understand what point they were making. Is white lives matter something the right use?

1 minute ago, The Gaul said:

It was a fucking shit message, I just thought it was confusing. It was clear it was some right wing tit, but I genuinely didn't quite understand what point they were making. Is white lives matter something the right use?

Yes. To try and down play the BLM movement. 

• Upvote 1

The kind of people who say white lives matter don't actually care about white people either (as seen by shitbag's Hillsborough comment above), they're the same type of people who say foreign aid money should be spent on 'our own' but don't actually like 'our own' either. There comes a time when you just have to draw an invisible wall between ordinary normal folk and these people and realise that they're just cunts. Bad people exist, sadly, and shit goes south when you allow them to get into positions of power and influence. They're Hitler, Franco, Al Capone. When the psychos run the ward, you're fucked.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The kind of people who say white lives matter don't actually care about white people either (as seen by shitbag's Hillsborough comment above), they're the same type of people who say foreign aid money should be spent on 'our own' but don't actually like 'our own' either. There comes a time when you just have to draw an invisible wall between ordinary normal folk and these people and realise that they're just cunts. Bad people exist, sadly, and shit goes south when you allow them to get into positions of power and influence. They're Hitler, Franco, Al Capone,Trump,Johnson,Thatcher. When the psychos run the ward, you're fucked.  

• Upvote 1

My apologies, I thought this was a thread about racism in football, not one about the entire history of slaves etc.

BLM was founded in 2013, and is an American organized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality against Afro-American people, so not really anything to do with slavery or football.

Sorry for the confusion, my point was not intended to be read as it obviously has been, more to point at my own misunderstanding of why they didnt matter. if that makes sense.

So apart from as mentioned by others, the odd scattering of twats who still try to carry on with chants etc, I was under the impression that we had more or less kicked it out of football.

Not totally, especially at the lower levels, but pretty much under control. apart from the aforementioned twats.

Yes there arent as many BAME managers, but we do "football in general" have a vast amount of players from all walks.

13 hours ago, MOGLET said:

My apologies, I thought this was a thread about racism in football, not one about the entire history of slaves etc.

BLM was founded in 2013, and is an American organized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality against Afro-American people, so not really anything to do with slavery or football.

Sorry for the confusion, my point was not intended to be read as it obviously has been, more to point at my own misunderstanding of why they didnt matter. if that makes sense.

So apart from as mentioned by others, the odd scattering of twats who still try to carry on with chants etc, I was under the impression that we had more or less kicked it out of football.

Not totally, especially at the lower levels, but pretty much under control. apart from the aforementioned twats.

Yes there arent as many BAME managers, but we do "football in general" have a vast amount of players from all walks.

Because football reflects society as a whole. The British PM is a racist,bigot and xenophobe,as is the US President. The UK has now left the EU because it didnt want those 'dirty foreigners' telling them what to do. Social Media has now given a voice to fringe personalities who were(quite rightly) nobodies beforehand. You'd have to be naive to not think the two are connected.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MOGLET said:

I was under the impression that we had more or less kicked it out of football.

I take it you're white?  We're able to crack on blithely as if nothing's wrong, because the stuff that is wrong doesn't affect us.  The current wave of anti-racist action is an ideal opportunity to take a good look at society in general - and that includes football - and to listen to what black people have to say.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

I see Sheffield United's Dave McGoldrick is the latest player to receive racist messages after the Chelsea game. People need to stop kidding themselves about this racist problem, it is there because England is just a toxic country led by toxic leaders, therefore these bell ends think that it is normal to abuse people purely on the fact that they aren't white. The F.A et all can hold as many Anti-Racism programmes they like, it won't make a difference until the country as a whole accepts there's a problem and it's deeply rooted in society.