You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stephen Merchant "Hello Ladies"

Redder Lurtz

I saw this at the Empire back in October and thought it was half-decent but not great - there were a few times during the show where he seemed to be trying too hard to perform like Gervais, or perhaps just trying too hard full stop.

That's how it came across to me. More than a bit cringey in places.

I think he writes most of Gervais routines for him, so thats why they seem similar, he's a decent writer but not a stand up comic! Like you say, to cringey, to like Gervais but cant do the self depreciating / arrogant bits as well. It might b ok to watch live with poeple laughing around you, but the DVD is painful to watch.

There seems to be a load of below parr stand up DVDs out this christmas, watched the Greg Davies one, that got turned off faster then the Merchant one. Peter Kays is the exact same routine as before just with differant jokes. Dylan Morans is watchable but nothing great. Got Angelos Epithemus still to watch am hoping thats going to be a bit differant.

There just aren't that many funny stand-up comedians around at the minute, its quite surprising for the number that appear to be popping up. They tend to think if they've got on to Mock The Week that they are funny but in reality they just really shout and swear or say something very weird for 90 odd minutes. Mickey Flannigan is a case in point, just a very normal annoying cockney and he's got tours and dvd's out of appearances on MTW.

The problem with stand up comedians over the last few years is that they've become main stream popular culture whilst still pretending to maintain that "alternative" streak. I don't actually mind Micky Flannigan (despite his recent TV fame he's been on the semi pro standup circuit for many years) but he is part of a generation of comedians churned out by the Live at the Apollo brigade. I watched that last night, some bloke called Andrew someone or other was the singularly most unfunny prick I've ever seen. Look out for his Christmas 2012 DVD and a stadium tour.

Like most popular culture in this country, it's perpetuated by a figurehead (Simon Cowell / Michael McIntyre) who tell us what we should buy / listen to / find funny. Enough people subscribe to that ideal to make those comedians / artists phenominally rich, popular and omnipresent. It doesn't, however, follow that they are any good. See Stewart Lee for more details. One of the few genuinely clever and quite brilliant comedians.

In fact speaking of Stewart Lee brings me back to Stephen Merchant and the way he is with Gervais. It's just struck me how similar that relationship is to the relationship between Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond, described by Lee. Especially where karl Pilkington is concerned. Gervais plays the class bully whilst Merchant giggles whilst not quite having the bottle to really lay into Karl the same way Gervais does.

Stewart Lee is the daddy of all clever,funny modern comedy for me.

I found it hard to believe that he writes/wrote or even invented the Al Murray pub landlord character.

Im not sure he does any more but he did do at its inception.

I'm not really a John Bishop fan but one of my kids said his new DVD is piss poor compared to his first one.

It seems the writing is very difficult for most comedians too.

I saw Lee Mack on telly a couple of weeks ago in concert and thought he was surprisingly good. Hes never been funny when i saw him on comedy shows or quizzes but his stand up routine was very good.

Guest davelfc

I had missed the previous episodes of 'Life's too short' but last night caught it, for 5 minutes, it was awful.

I think people can be guilty of being comedian snobs, we all like to laugh and some of the comedians not considered 'fashionable' by the comedian snobs are very capable of that. I've noticed sometimes (generally) that people wear their comedians like exclusive brands, "hey I like *** ******, you wouldn't because he's just too clever for you" (pricks)

I can be guilty, for example I won't watch sky's new 'comedy' The Cafe. I won't watch it because my brain would throw in the 'badoom-tish' that is missing after every line. If I want that I will watch a few minutes of Tim Vine, who is infinitely funnier but gives me 'badoom-tish' overload quite quickly. But I can see that it must appeal to someone, somewhere. Just people that I wouldn't want to have to be stuck socially with for more than three seconds. (comedy snob)

I have yet to see a top notch stand up DVD this year. I have seen some goodish ones Peter Kay, Micky Flanagan, Dylan Moran (I was dissapointed will Morans as his earlier stuff is way better).

Gonna try that Angelos one, Reg. D Hunter has one out too might be worth a watch.