You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Charlie Brookers 'Black Mirror' Trilogy

Cardie

I'm about to watch it. 

It wasn't showing on my app so I've been stressing for hours thinking my TV is too old for it, or Netflix are being cunts with me, and I couldn't remember the password so I couldn't load it on my firestick instead of the TV app

In the end it turns out I wasn't looking in the right place, it's under its own category, not listed with the other episodes. 

One man's battle with technology, with a twist ending, they should make that into an episode. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Just watched it for the first time. It's really well made and the choices are seamless. The good thing is I can watch again and make different choices, my first go only lasted under an hour but it can run for 90 minutes depending on the path you choose.

Sugar puffs instead of Frosties next time around.

Would be hilarious if the entire episode is dependent on what cereal you choose, and all the other choices are meaningless. 

We watched it last night and it was brilliantly disturbing.

there were times when I wasn’t sure if it was good or if I was just engrossed because I had to make another choice soon, then after a while I was laughing aloud at the direction it was taking and the choices I had to make, then I was utterly disturbed by the end and by my part in it.

brilliantly made, great TV, if that’s what it is? 

Charlie Brooker is a weird fucker though.

Don't have Netflix so I had to make do with the "official, linear Netflix approved" (whatever that is) non-interactive version that runs for about 93 minutes and apparently includes 60 or so "legitimate choices" (whatever that is).

In this format, it doesn't work very well, didn't enjoy it too much. Maybe it works when you make the choices yourself so you feel you are in control in leading the character this or that way. At the moment I feel this format would work just as a novelty you'd get tired of soon, or only if the subject matter is dissolution of reality, feeling of a loss of control, sanity.

I don't know. It feels like this might be just a glorified video game. Reinventing how we make and consume television, I don't think so. A bit disappointed.

Maybe it works a lot better on Netflix. Maybe this is what it's all about.

• 4 months later...
On 01/06/2019 at 00:21, AngryofTuebrook said:

I still think "Hated in the Nation" is one of the most genuinely disturbing things I've ever seen. 

Shut Up and Dance and White Bear run it very close.

44 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

New series is very good good I thought 

Cool, that's tonight sorted...

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve watched the first two and don’t think the criticism has been fair. 

The first episode was pretty good but didn’t need the last 5 mins, it should have ended in the car between the husband and wife.

smithereens was pretty good I thought, you could see the twist coming but it was still well played out.

i think the problem the show has is that at its best is incredible but all of the episodes are engaging and entertaining. 

It seems to be a pattern with this new series that they have some brilliant ideas, they just have some poorly thought out endings. All of the first three I watched have poor endings, sorry correction two have poor endings and the first one just an annoying ending. Is Mr Brooker just a casual observer these days or has he sold out?

Also a +1 for the new series being a bit disappointing.

Still a great show but the three latest weren’t very thought provoking and shocking as with previous.

That feeling of being very unsettled also throughout was missing, for me.

Didn’t find myself really thinking about each episode after I finished each of them as before.