You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Is England '88

Redder Lurtz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That scene was one of my favourites from the series. Aside from that I don't think the show or film is as great as everyone is making out. I think it certainly has it's moments but I think characters placed in unpleasant scenarios doesn't automatically make great drama. I also have trouble relating to the actions and motives of most of the characters.

Canny wait lad.

Fucking quality characters, I am not sure if meadow is too much involved now though apart from the editing and some script evaluating.

The film was a brilliant snap shot into 80's northern English life. The series as already said was really the best english drama that I have ever seen, powerful and emotional.

I hope the next series is as boss as the last. I believe that they are in talks about 94' World cup year too!

Canny wait lad.

Fucking quality characters, I am not sure if meadow is too much involved now though apart from the editing and some script evaluating.

The film was a brilliant snap shot into 80's northern English life. The series as already said was really the best english drama that I have ever seen, powerful and emotional.

I hope the next series is as boss as the last. I believe that they are in talks about 94' World cup year too!

I think they want to do Italia 90 first. Cant remember where I read it.

As a teenager in the the 80s,I found the film hit home pretty well but the series just seemed a bit OTT,I cant put my finger on it but it just wasnt the same.

The series tried too hard. Should have made another film and kept the story tighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't really think it was that good if I'm honest. I enjoy all the nostalgia stuff because there all the age I was then so I suppose, to an extent, I can relate, but I thought it was too slow this time round and the writing was too simplistic. I really liked the original movie, but now the idea of it and the writing is getting very stale in my opinion. Like the Walking Dead without the bonus of the zombies.

I'm Sky plussing the next 2 anyway and will watch over Christmas to see if it gets better. I've not given up on it yet.

Didn't really think it was that good if I'm honest. I enjoy all the nostalgia stuff because there all the age I was then so I suppose, to an extent, I can relate, but I thought it was too slow this time round and the writing was too simplistic. I really liked the original movie, but now the idea of it and the writing is getting very stale in my opinion. Like the Walking Dead without the bonus of the zombies.

I'm Sky plussing the next 2 anyway and will watch over Christmas to see if it gets better. I've not given up on it yet.

Did you watch '86? It started off the exact same, really slow, everyone said it had gone stale, then BOOM, the last 2 episodes were class.

I absolutely fucking loved the dialogue, the near-slapstick humour and the pathos. Smell's line to Shaun when she said, "I want you to put your Christmas tail in me" was fucking brilliant; but his whiney, "I can't be bothered" was even better.

The contrast in tone of the various performances are great too: if there's a better British actress than Vicky McClure then I haven't seen her; her brooding, depressive single mum role was very good. Placed next to the various pub clowns, it seems even more realistic - her anger with the nurse/midwife/health visitor was palpable.

However, I thought Woody's almost manic "happiness" was brilliantly portrayed too. He's clearly a man on the brink doing all he can to cover it up. Something mad is brewing but I can't work out what. I'll be intrigued to see how Combo fits in to it all too.

In short, I'm fucking loving it; it wears its influences on its sleeve, but at the same time is totally unlike anything else on telly.