You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

It must be very, very difficult to be fair, living in a massive house surounded by rolling hills and idyllic countryside and on top of that the massive daliy struggle deciding what your going to blow an obscene amount of money on next. Having to look at the same stunning woman every morning as you drag yourself from your pit and get into your top of the range luxury sports car and drive to spend a few hours doing what is probably your dream job.

I don't see the issue. At all, in any way, shape or form.

Sorry Tom, but I think the argument is irrelevant. A well respected figure of the game has sadly died in the most awful circumstances. He was a model professional and had the respect from all corners of the game. A club like ours should be able to see that and respect him accordingly.

Honestly, if any non red was worth shutting the fuck up, for an extra two minutes, it was him.

Personally speaking, I'm still rather taken back by his death. It's incredibly sad, for someone who has lived a life many of us could only dream of, has a beautiful wife and 2 kids, to end it all because seemingly he couldn't speak to anyone. Well that's hearbreaking.

Your wrong, again and Tom is right.

I'm going to be blunt about this.

If Gary Speed had killed himself on a Wednesday the likelihood is that the weekend following would be dedicated to Gary, and that's it, with only his former clubs should they not be playing at home that weekend planning their own further tribute.

LFC have played in two games 48 hours after his death in two high profile games, where Chelsea wanted to pay their respects, regardless of whether we had or not.

The whole situation is awkward, it's not a farce, or overkill it's just the circumstances and timing of his death.

I've met you. At least twice. I couldn't contemplate a world where you could ever be sharp. The merest sniff of the notion would have stadia around the country, and actually some in Mexico, singing "there's only one Nick Leeson" for weeks after they found my naked body hanging from the top branch of a redwood with a cannon ball hanging from each of my toes (just to make absolutely sure).

It bothers me because a) I'VE ALREADY FUCKING DONE IT. And b) I wasn't really mad on doing it then either!

If I'd gone to CHelsea away then I'd have had to have this shit foisted on me three times!

THREE FUCKING TIMES!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't remember Billy Liddell, arguably the greatest player in our history even getting one at Anfield? Did he? If he did I don't remember it.

And I definitely don't remember any other grounds around the country grinding to a halt three times, twice or even once for Billy, or for Bob paisley, or for Matt Busby, or for anyone else for that matter who was perhaps twice the player or ten times the manager and very possibly even better "great blokes" (Copyright every ex-footballer in the world this week) than fucking Gary Speed ever was or ever would be!

But okay, let's play along. Let's get some fucking fairness and balance in to this then shall we.

Every time "a football great*" dies we should all do at least two one minute silences/appluases at every ground in the fucking country. Yeah?

No, didn't think so.

So, it would appear that this over the top public outpouring of grief and woe and outright despair only actually applies if you fucking top yourself in weird circumstances.

Well fuck that. I won't be getting involved in any more. It's fucking bullshit.

You can all cry in to your scouse pies as much as you fucking well like and pretend like you give a massive fuck, but you don't.

And that's my last word on it - and i mean it this time. My wife has a cold and I have to go out and get her some Lemsip.

Hey, you know what, I just realised that I probably give about 3,546,667% more of a fuck about my wife's cold than I ever did about Gary Speed when he was alive.

RIP My Wife's Cold.

YNWA

Banner on the Kop for my wife's cold anyone?

* A title of which, apparently, a career haul of just 2 FA Cup wins and one league title now makes you eligible. Sweet God above help us all when "Giggsy" finally karks it. I imagine we'll all be having a 90 minute fucking silence and a one minute game!

Again, I don't understand why it bothers you so much. It's only a minute. Is there something very important you usually do in the 60 seconds before kickoff that will be jeopardised by clapping or silence?

I don't know what the rules are regarding who gets a minute's silence and who doesn't. I don't think there are any. In this instance it feels right to me and I think Ant's right when he says it's just timing that has thrown up the 3 occurrences of it. You don't want to take part in a minute's silence or applause? Fine, don't then. Nobody cares. You keep telling everyone to move on. Maybe you should take your own advice mate because I don't think anyone gives a fuck as much as you do.

It bothers me because a) I'VE ALREADY FUCKING DONE IT. And b) I wasn't really mad on doing it then either!

If I'd gone to CHelsea away then I'd have had to have this shit foisted on me three times!

THREE FUCKING TIMES!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't remember Billy Liddell, arguably the greatest player in our history even getting one at Anfield? Did he? If he did I don't remember it.

!

There are plenty of things to complain about in this world but paying respects to the dead isnt really one of them.

You really need to stop this incessant whingeing, Tom. It's lame.

It is true that some "greats" die and get an applause or silence in their memory and some don't. I think when Joe Fagan died there was a silence at Anfield but I don't think it was compulsary at every stadium. I seem to remember Bob Paisley being remembered at all stadiums.

I don't seem to remember the great Billy Liddell recieving a memorial at every ground? He had a great career and was also a great man by all accounts.

Gary Speed was a great servant to the game, a honourable and very decent man by all accounts and it was a tragic shame that he did what he did but this will be 3 times now for some grounds that he has a memorial time of applause or silence. I don't see that it should be happenning this weekend. I'm sorry but I don't.

THREE FUCKING TIMES!!!!

And I definitely don't remember any other grounds around the country grinding to a halt three times, twice or even once for Billy, or for Bob paisley, or for Matt Busby, or for anyone else for that matter who was perhaps twice the player or ten times the manager and very possibly even better "great blokes" (Copyright every ex-footballer in the world this week) than fucking Gary Speed ever was or ever would be!

But okay, let's play along. Let's get some fucking fairness and balance in to this then shall we.

Every time "a football great*" dies we should all do at least two one minute silences/appluases at every ground in the fucking country. Yeah?

No, didn't think so.

So, it would appear that this over the top public outpouring of grief and woe and outright despair only actually applies if you fucking top yourself in weird circumstances.

Well fuck that. I won't be getting involved in any more. It's fucking bullshit.

You can all cry in to your scouse pies as much as you fucking well like and pretend like you give a massive fuck, but you don't.

And that's my last word on it - and i mean it this time. My wife has a cold and I have to go out and get her some Lemsip.

Hey, you know what, I just realised that I probably give about 3,546,667% more of a fuck about my wife's cold than I ever did about Gary Speed when he was alive.

RIP My Wife's Cold.

YNWA

Banner on the Kop for my wife's cold anyone?

* A title of which, apparently, a career haul of just 2 FA Cup wins and one league title now makes you eligible. Sweet God above help us all when "Giggsy" finally karks it. I imagine we'll all be having a 90 minute fucking silence and a one minute game!

Gary Speed - The Princess Diana for football.

"One of the avenues of the police investigation is thought to centre on suggestions Speed, 42, and Louise were holding a dinner party on the night before his body was found and a couple of close friends stayed overnight at their luxury property"

Read more: Gary Speed's wife Louise heartbroken as she starts thinking about funeral plans - mirror.co.uk

That is a scurrilous accusation to make. Sadly, there was only one swinger at the house that night.

I dont get this debate at all, Speed was not just an ex-player, he was also the Wales manager so its pretty obvious there would be minutes of silence all around.

Thats not the point though, the point is that some people are going to great lengths to prove that they are more upset than anybody else despite the fact they never cared who he was 7 days ago.

And Tom is right in that respect.

However I dont see any reason why we shouldnt have a minutes silence. It was the right thing to do.

As far as we're concerned, it's just timing and circumstance that's meant we're going to be involved in three acts of rememberance and the only we had or have any influence over was the one last Sunday at Anfield, when as it happens we were having a minute's silence for Brad Jones' lad anyway.

The fact that Chelsea decided to do something on Tuesday and Fulham will do something on Monday is out of our hands and there's nothing we can do about it. Both Chelsea and Fulham wouldn't have played at home since Speed was found dead, so they were bound to do something.

Having 3 moments of rememberance is over the top, but I don't see what the club could do other than cause disrespect and ask Chelsea and Fulham not to go ahead with their plans. We'd have been made to look like twats.

If we'd have organised them all, then I could understand why Tom and others are a bit upset, but we never. It's not going to hurt anyone to clap or stand still for another minute on Monday, while Fulham pay their respects.

i'm a bit miffed for Brad Jones that the minutes silence for his lad has been piggy-backed by this. How about we just did it when we played the derby, or Newcastle away? Means something then.

Was there any mention of Gary Speed at the Euro draw yesterday?

What did you expect them to do? Have one minute for Brad Jones, have a round of applause and then do one for Gary Speed?

Let's be honest you couldn't really give a fuck about Brad Jones and his lad, it's just something else for you to moan about and act like a twat.