You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

Gary speed tho. Player with a bit of everything, 15 goals a season, workhorse, ace player, never dived or whinged just got on with the game. Cant understand the likes of tom r, speeds been on the scene since day one of the pl and barely missed a game. No i didnt cry but its like watching anyone youve grew up familiar with, it takes something out of you. Propa baller he was and always seemed like one of the good lads in footy. For him to go out like this is just fucking crazy, crazy shit. Someone like gazza you wouldnt put it past but i tend to think someone offed him and theres a massive cover up going on, its just easier than believing he killed hisself.

Oh shut the fuck up, you dismal lunatic

Gary speed tho. Player with a bit of everything, 15 goals a season, workhorse, ace player, never dived or whinged just got on with the game. Cant understand the likes of tom r, speeds been on the scene since day one of the pl and barely missed a game. No i didnt cry but its like watching anyone youve grew up familiar with, it takes something out of you. Propa baller he was and always seemed like one of the good lads in footy. For him to go out like this is just fucking crazy, crazy shit. Someone like gazza you wouldnt put it past but i tend to think someone offed him and theres a massive cover up going on, its just easier than believing he killed hisself.

Jesus, dennis.

Any suspects in mind?

So let me get this straight: You can't understand "the likes" of me having some concerns over us mentioning a player during a minute's silence who had no affinity whatsoever to our club? Or how I had questioned people saying things like there should be no football played at all the weekend?

BUT... you think someone "offed" him and there's a huge cover up going on??

Have I got that right? It's just that it's almost so staggeringly difficult to comprehend that I need to be 100% certain before I unleash the full Ross on your weird arse.

So let me get this straight: You can't understand "the likes" of me having some concerns over us mentioning a player during a minute's silence who had no affinity whatsoever to our club? Or how I had questioned people saying things like there should be no football played at all the weekend?

Have I got that right? It's just that it's almost so staggeringly difficult to comprehend that I need to be 100% certain before I unleash the full Ross on your weird arse.

I'm glad we had a minutes silence for him.

I see no reason why we shouldn't have personally.

No one, to my knowledge, said there should be NO football played, people were saying the Swansea match should've been cancelled, as a lot of players either played with him (Jenas, Given) or were managed by him in the Wales national team (Williams, Allen, Taylor and Collins). As Kenny said, football shouldn't get in the way of grieving

I'm glad we had a minutes silence for him.

I see no reason why we shouldn't have personally.

Give me one reason why we should have done, then!

AS I said earlier in the thread, there have been dozens of top explayers who've died in recent years.

Where does it stop? Do we now have to stop the whole world every time "a great player and great bloke" dies?

Or just do when they kill themselves?

Listen, I'm not lacking in empathy or sympathy here. It just has fuck all to do with me, and I don't like it being foisted on me.

No one, to my knowledge, said there should be NO football played, people were saying the Swansea match should've been cancelled, as a lot of players either played with him (Jenas, Given) or were managed by him in the Wales national team (Williams, Allen, Taylor and Collins). As Kenny said, football shouldn't get in the way of grieving

No, it shouldn't. But that doesn't mean a few individuals should dictate to the masses!

Why the fuck should Swansea gain an advantage because some bloke a few players knew and worked with died?

If they have players who aren't up to playing then they can CHOOSE to rest certain players if they feel it necessary, just like we did.

Utter bollocks.

He was the manager and friend of one of our players?

So?

Do we now have a minute's silence when a player's aunty dies? Brother? Dad? Mum?

Or should it only apply to ex-manager's of yours who've killed themselves?

Seriously, where does it end? It's a downward spiral and it's something I don't like.

Almost none of us gave a flying fuck about Gary Speed when he was alive. Stop pretending like you did.

Not really at you this, Jules, I know he managed your country etc, so you probably have good reason to be gutted, pissed off and quite sad.

But 99.9% of you have never given the second thought until he played the odd game at Anfield or whatever.

So geg out of mourning his passing. It's all bollocks.

I have agree with the Ross on this one. It's incredibly sad, but it's all getting a bit over the top.

There's a minutes applause at all premier league games this weekend - so that'll be 3 games in a row where we've either had a minutes silence or applause. That's not really proportional is it?

It's like everyone in football is in some big competition to see who can show the most respect and who the biggest griever is.

He was a very respected player - and rightly so - but lets keep things in perspective.

So?

Do we now have a minute's silence when a player's aunty dies? Brother? Dad? Mum?

Or should it only apply to ex-manager's of yours who've killed themselves?

Seriously, where does it end? It's a downward spiral and it's something I don't like.

Almost none of us gave a flying fuck about Gary Speed when he was alive. Stop pretending like you did.

Not really at you this, Jules, I know he managed your country etc, so you probably have good reason to be gutted, pissed off and quite sad.

But 99.9% of you have never given the second thought until he played the odd game at Anfield or whatever.

So geg out of mourning his passing. It's all bollocks.

Well we had a minute's silence for Brad Jones' son so I'm not sure what you make of that either.

Tom.

I don't really care that much if he didn't play for us. Gary had respect from all in the game, our striker, our greatest ever servant amongst all others. He was a fantastic player, a fantastic person by all accounts and he has died in the most tragic of circumstances.

I, like many others have been somewhat taken back by what happened to Gary. No many of us don't know him, many of us will probably move quickly from it. Football is a global game, but what we forget is that the players who may earn more than we could possibly imagine are still human beings.

I see the point you are trying to make, but I fundamentally disagree with the point that we shouldn't pay our respects to Gary.

The game that we follow has lost one of the good guys, and in the interest of the game, and the values that this club holds. I believe it's only right we show our respect to uphold our values and traditions.

Well we had a minute's silence for Brad Jones' son so I'm not sure what you make of that either.

I'm not sure how I feel on that one either to be honest, but at least I can say that Brad Jones is affiliated to our club and it's our way of showing some support to our own player.

If Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Bolton etc all want to do something off their own back then that's fine with me, but why should I have to be obligated to get involved?

Sorry, great fella, great player, and all very sad and all that, but Gary Speed has nothing to Liverpool football club.

There's a minutes applause at all premier league games this weekend - so that'll be 3 games in a row where we've either had a minutes silence or applause. That's not really proportional is it?

I'll go one step further and say that it's a fucking piss take.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I'm not sure how I feel on that one either to be honest, but at least I can say that Brad Jones is affiliated to our club and it's our way of showing some support to our own player.

If Newcastle, Leeds, Everton etc all want to do something off their own back then that's fine with me, but why should I have to be obliged to get involved?

Sorry, great fella, great player, and all very sad and all that, but Gary Speed has nothing to Liverpool football club.

Yep you're right. He didn't have anything to do with Liverpool Football Club.

But it has everything to do with honesty, decency and respect.