You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

You're being cussed to fuck in the MF. I don't mean to worry you, but you know you're in a bad place if the only person sticking up for you is me.

Getting cussed?

Call me old fashioned, but hanging yourself for your kids and wife to find in the morning...that's not commendable in my book. Sorry, not interested in why. I'm a cunt but I'm a cunt with morals, you don't do that to them, finding your corpse at 7 in the morning?

Bryn Law, a reporter for Sky just broke down live on TV doing a report on Gary Speed from Elland RD. Suprised he was working whilst he is in that state.

Ya, saw that, he was reporting from Elland Road. Maybe he wanted to be around fans. He looked very upset though.

He seems like a good lad actually (for a Sky reporter). I remember him reporting on a Wrexham last game of the season a few years back and he was unashamedly delighted his team had stayed up.

I have not been very close to suicide, thankfully but I'd say there's a "what if" for people close to the person, especially those in who are contact with him/her close to the event.

Getting cussed?

Call me old fashioned, but hanging yourself for your kids and wife to find in the morning...that's not commendable in my book. Sorry, not interested in why. I'm a cunt but I'm a cunt with morals, you don't do that to them, finding your corpse at 7 in the morning?

Dickhead.

Do you want a shovel?

Whoever gets the Wales job is going to have a tough time. Speed is going to remembered as a hero, who would have transformed Welsh football (Rightly or wrongly, only time would have told).

Sometimes people are remembered to be better than they actually were.

Funnneeeee - If Speed was thinking rationally do you think he would have done what he did with a chance of his 13 or 14 year old son finding his body? You've totally missed the point of him not being well or even sane at that time due to depression or whatever made him take his life...

You are rationalising an irrational act.

Some people are so thick they actually think mental health issues are no different to 'being a bit pissed off' or 'feeling down in the dumps'.

Agree completely, difficult to know where to start? Yes as a rational act it can be viewed as selfish, but it isn't a rational act. Mental health issues can be just as terminal to the sufferer as suffering from a physical terminal illness. Whatever state and situation this poor man had reached by Saturday, I wouldn't describe it as selfish. Given his disturbed state he probably thought he was doing his family a favour.

I can't even comprehend what his family must be going through right now, but I have to say that some of the stuff I've heard today is just ridiculous, and some people really need to get a fucking grip of themselves. Seriously.

Gary Speed died.

Feel sad? Fine.

Struggle to comprehend? Fine.

But being "devastated" or "heart broken"? Do me a favour!

Unless you knew him, or he was your family, then you should all lay off with the faux mourning.

And, as much as I got involved with the minute's silence today I really don't think that sort of thing should be foisted on us. There was no affiliation to Liverpool whatsoever, nor to Man City but we're all obliged to feel utterly devastated. Why?

Forget the alleged circumstance, pathetic rumours and anything else and just try and get some context here.

More than one person told me today, with a straight face, that there shouldn't have been any games played today. Sorry, but fuck the fuck off.

Are we now to stop the whole world every time a great player dies?

I hope hope not, because without coming across as a total prick, there have been far better players and (dare I say It) far better people than Gary Speed who have died this day, this week, this month or this year with little or no ceremony whatsoever.

God bless him and his family, but I didn't know him at all, so I'm going to try my best to contain my emotions for now.

I reckon some of you lot should probably do the same.

agree, this is the most shocked I've been about a celebrity death for a while if not ever, and while i just sat there numb for about an hour or so after hearing it I quickly got back on with my life, don't get me wrong I wish it'd never happened but I'd rather leave the grieving to those it actually affects directly

I have a mate who everytime a celebrity dies posts on Facebook about how devastated (which he usually spells wrong) he is to hear the news, its complete bullshit

Christa Ackroyd lapping it up again on Look North. Jimmy Saville, now Gary Speed. She loves it, the hammy, over dramatic, slapfaced fucking trout.

Seeing as i have not seen Look North for a couple of years, since i moved, didn't

Christa Ackroyd resemble Dan Ackroyd..now i see she is slim and almost human...what happened

Getting cussed?

Where would you prefer him being found, Fun? Bus station bogs? Down at the local in the bogs? Some Alley?

Maybe not the time or the place, but...I heard from a massive bloo, about 8 years ago, that Adrian Heath - ALLEGEDLY - tried it on with Speed. Speed forcefully spurned his advances, Drunken got involved and threatened him for the way he had reacted to Heath.

Maybe Speed just didn't fancy him.

It's sad to hear of anyone dying such a lonely death. I have a lot of empathy for him. Where I grew up in the 80's there was a significant amount of suicide's among the male population, possibly down to helplessness of living with a high unemployment rate coupled with an endemic binge drinking culture. I couldn't begin to imagine what pushed Gary Speed over the edge but I guess he might have been troubled for a long time. R.I.P