You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

Suicide is not a disease. Depression is a disease.

People commit suicide for a variety of reasons of which depression is but one.

People commit suicided for a variety of other reasons which have nothing to do with depression.

People commit suicide because the reasons to die outweigh the reasons to live.

For someone like Gary Speed, someone who seemingly had everything in life he could ever want, to do that, is heartbreaking.

People commit suicide because the reasons to die outweigh the reasons to live.

For someone like Gary Speed, someone who seemingly had everything in life he could ever want, to do that, is heartbreaking.

No they don't!

They commit suicide because they think there is no reason to live, usually they do this at a particularly moment in time, which could very well pass.

Suicide is not a disease. Depression is a disease.

People commit suicide for a variety of reasons of which depression is but one.

People commit suicided for a variety of other reasons which have nothing to do with depression.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea if Speed was suffering from chronic depression, but even if this rumour that there was going to be a story in the papers about something in his personal life is true, you can bet your arse that he was not in a healthy state of mind, to end up committing suicide.

It's not something that a rational, healthy person does. Therefore it's a mental illness, whether that's short or long term.

Q.E.Fucking.D.

I was replying to Antynwa's comments on suicide as a disease and not in any way talking about Gary Speed's death.

I fully understand the world of depression and have witnessed it a very close hand for the past 18 years. I have also had a relative commit suicide 2 years ago as result of depression. She was only 40 and spent 20 years suffering.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea if Speed was suffering from chronic depression, but even if this rumour that there was going to be a story in the papers about something in his personal life is true, you can bet your arse that he was not in a healthy state of mind, to end up committing suicide.

It's not something that a rational, healthy person does. Therefore it's a mental illness, whether that's short or long term.

Q.E.Fucking.D.

Just heard fro a reliable source, he was in a gay relationship.

Speed told his dad two days ago a tabloid was going to run the story.

You know the rest.

Just heard fro a reliable source, he was in a gay relationship.

Speed told his dad two days ago a tabloid was going to run the story.

You know the rest.

If that's true it's very sad. I would have thought these days it wasn't near as much of a problem to "come out" as it used to be. Whatever the case it's a terrible thing for anyone to be in that state of mind.

They commit suicide because they think there is no reason to live, usually they do this at a particularly moment in time, which could very well pass.

There is a subtle, but crucial difference between wanting to die, and not wanting to live.

I think that it is unwise to speculate too much on the background to Speed's suicide which will surely come out soon enough.

What this has done is provoke a useful debate about suicide- which is a good thing.

Sportsmen/women and footballers are particularly vulnerable from having been in a position of ultimate euphoria ( scoring a goal in front of 50,000) to "life after".

Possibly irrelevant to his case, but not off-topic, in the West we value life above all else. In the East, suicide as atonement for sin and dishonour is more readily accepted.

Just another opinion on the depression if he helps anybody.

I'm having a tough time emotionally at the moment, you could class it as depression, but I just keep going.

I also have back pain that can be chronic at times. I take NSAIDs, but they're not a lot of good. Recently my doctor gave me some low dose amitriptyline (higher doses are used for depression).

I lasted about two weeks on it. I was spaced out most of the time and contemplated suicide several times a day.

Re Speed's departure from Everton, I heard it was to do with Howard Kendall's drinking? I remember him saying that there were things he would not comment on and thought it was that.

There was a rumour that he had agreed to leave the club and join Newcastle, partly because their finances were in such a parlous state, they were sliding as a team, and it was mutually agreed that the £5.5m quid that Newcastle offered was too good to turn down.

Kendall then cooked up some story that Speed had refused to get on the team coach to a game, in order to force a move through, even though it was agreed beforehand that Speed wouldn't travel. This made it far easier to sell the move to the fans, who would be none too impressed that a boyhood Bitter and their captain and best player was leaving.

So Speed got stitched up.