You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Sherlock Holmes

VladimirIlyich

Seeing as hes the most played fictional character and I was watching an episode earlier I thought I'd ask who the forum thinks is their favourite Sherlock Holmes actor.

I think Basil Rathbone was brilliant in the films while Jeremy Brett was brilliant in the TV series.

Thoughts.

I think I completely agree.

Brett was very, very close to Conan Doyle's written Holmes.

Gotta say, although the new version on the BBC was very interesting, I quickly found myself detesting the entire charade. All style over substance, not cool at all imo.

I know that Rob (PB15) is a big Holmes fan, and he loves the Rathbone films.

Seeing as hes the most played fictional character and I was watching an episode earlier I thought I'd ask who the forum thinks is their favourite Sherlock Holmes actor.

I think Basil Rathbone was brilliant in the films while Jeremy Brett was brilliant in the TV series.

Thoughts.

Cant argue with those choices. Always loved the Rathbone movies as well as the Jeremy Brett series

Can't comment in the Guy Richie film as I've yet to watch it. I've heard Downey Jnr is great in it

Rathbone every day of the week.

How class a film was Hound of the Baskervilles in b&w! All misty and creepy!

The Brett TV series was very good too and a faithful telling.

Never watched the Downey film, but bits I have seen make it look like Holmes for the Jason Bourne generation. Just wrong imo.

Rathbone every day of the week.

How class a film was Hound of the Baskervilles in b&w! All misty and creepy!

The Brett TV series was very good too and a faithful telling.

Never watched the Downey film, but bits I have seen make it look like Holmes for the Jason Bourne generation. Just wrong imo.

I agree with this.

Holmes films are all about the scripts and the acting. Special effects are for films with a few shortcomings.

What a shame both of them are no longer with us other than on screen.

ITV3 is running an episode each afternoon at 5pm with Brett as the star.

Very,very good and not dated at all(Made in the 80's)

Just think that ITV used to make programmes like this in the 80s and now they mostly make FUCKING SHITE.

Brett and Rathbone were both excellent. I've been listening to the BBC audio dramatisations recently and have been impressed with Clive Merrison.

They're very good, I think they adapted every Holmes story although Michael Williams as Watson was replaced by Andrew Sachs following his death.

I'm going to investigate some of the dubbed German Holmes' with Christopher Lee.

kinopoiskrusherlockholm.jpg