You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Unesco set to Strip Liverpool of it's World Heritage Status

Hooch

Unesco set to strip Liverpool of its World Heritage Site status - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL will lose its World Heritage Site status if a £5.5bn skyscraper plan goes ahead without “radical” changes, Unesco inspectors have warned.

Last week’s three-day Unesco inspection “could not have gone any worse”, a top level source has revealed.

They added that the inspectors, led by Ron van Oers, had left the city with “100%” clear guidance that unless Peel’s Liverpool Waters project is radically changed they will recommend the city be stripped of the World Heritage accolade.

At one point during the visit the usually mild mannered Dutchman Mr van Oers was so angered by the plans he stormed: “This goes too far”.

It is understood initial steps would see the inspectors issuing a recommendation to the World Heritage Committee that Liverpool be put on the list of World Heritage in Danger.

Once work then starts on Peel’s huge scheme to regenerate the city’s northern docklands the city would be stripped of its status, which was only granted in 2004.

The inspectors’ report will be written by December 23 and will be sent to Liverpool council and Peel within two to four weeks.

Unesco’s World Heritage Committee will vote on its findings in June.

Read More Unesco set to strip Liverpool of its World Heritage Site status - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

Any opinions on this?

I can see both sides of the argument. I don't know how instrumental the World Heritage title is in wooing tourists etc?

As much as we need the jobs/ regeneration of the area in the northern docklands, all they'll be building is shit loads of high rise apartment blocks won't they?

Peel have already scaled down their plans considerably so the Echo says, surely they could scale it down a bit more though?

Being told something is a world heritage city wouldn't really make me want to go there any more, but that's just me. Still, I think all this Liverpool Waters stuff is all my arse too. Two thirds of dock front property is already empty, so let's build some more. The mind boggles.

Im fairly sure UNESCO could wheel out some stats to suggest that this status increases tourism numbers but im not quite sure if it actually does. People will visit Liverpool because its Liverpool not because its a world heritage site.

Aye. It certaintly wouldn't bow me over any more, but I'm sure there is a type of tourist who is well into all that shit.

I guess it's up to the council to gage all that and consider if it would affect our visitor numbers and revenue at all. You wouldn't think it would.

This whole Peel development sounds a bit suspect though. I don't think there are any gaurantees in place that this is all going to happen for sure, hope they don't just rush through a load of poorly designed towers.

If it puts a bit of doubt in the mind of building more skyscrapers and makes a bit of a compromise likely then its a good thing.

At the end of the day it wouldnt be the end of the world but architecture does seem to attract a fair bit of tourism around the world.

Its usually a building of some sort that is quoted when describing a city.

Its a horrific project.

Sorry but no matter what you do, Liverpool is never going to be a serious tourist destination and ripping up our history is not going to help one iota.

What we need to do is to actually put to use the great disused buildings that we have dotted around and not keep building shoeboxes or trying to be shang fucking hai

What actually irritates me about all this is the influence of what appear to be self-elected guardians of the city's 'heritage'. Wayne Colquhan, or however you spell the fucker's name, seems to be a lone voice, making certain demands on potential investors in the city that seem designed to chase those investors away.

The Liverpool Waters scheme is something that the northern docks and the people in the north of the city need. Regardless of the argument about the aesthetics of the proposed scheme, it is essential that work and wealth should be generated in and for that part of the waterfront. With the exception of the Hartley clock tower I can think of precious little else of antiquity in the existing dock area that merits preservation. Maybe the outer walls of some of the docks, but they could be easily incorporated in the new proposal.

I too am not a lover of skyscrapers for the sole sake of effect. I was in Manchester at the weekend and that fucking monstrosity of a pointless tower is an embarrassing monument to the thoughtlessness of civic ambition. It ties in with nothing else on the landscape. Despite the fact that other constructions are in progress near to it, this monolith will still scar the skyline of the milltown. I do not want anything similar in our city.

Peel Holdings have scaled down their plans but are unwilling to make any more concessions to the 'Keep our docks decrepit' lobby who would find a way to reintroduce scurvy to the population just to keep things 'as they were'.

Or maybe Mr Colqhuan doesn't want any other dockside businesses to compete with his tat shop in the India Buildings arcade.

Guest ShoePiss

We have a few architects on this site don't we? It would be interesting to read their opinion on this.

As for this world heritage title, it appears pretty meaningless to me. I'm going to see how many I've unknowingly visited.

imgp2515b.jpg

I think the waterfront looks stunning with its newer buildings and high rises. Bollocks to these old farts, they should dropkick this Dutch fart back to cloggshoven. Liverpool has looked backwards for far too long anyway - onwards and upwards, ideally with some technology parks and manufacturing plants as well though.

to be honest not sure how we can build dogshit architecture like this right next door and expect it to remain a World Heritage Site

RIBA01_MannIsland_500px.jpg

What makes me laugh about that Mann Island project is that they never show you the ugly square glass block that they've also built, sitting to the right hand side of it.

I'm more interested in us achieving cruise liner port status, which might at least offer a source of local jobs and income into the local economy. Not to mention the bonus of pissing off Southampton.

I too agree that we need cruise line status more than anything else.

Didnt one of the major cruise companies,Thomson I think?,plan on using the city a few years back until they were told that they would have to dock next to a scrapyard?

Maybe somebody could throw up a giant sized mural and hide that for a start.

Your talking about Nortons scrap. I don't see the problem myself as its further towards Seaforth Docks anyway.