You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'You should have stayed at a big club'

Guest San Don

Guest San Don
I don't agree with those saying money played a part in his move, if money was an issue, he wouldn't have taken a pay cut to join us when he did. Athletico offered him more to stay but he decided to join a club that had just been to 2 European Cup Finals in 3 years on less money.

We did gave him a pay rise in his first season. We gave him another 12 months later. When he left us, he was on a reported 125k a week. This doesnt take into account any individual sponsorship deals he picked up while with us or other benefits the club may have given him ie club house, car etc.

I dont think he was worse off with us for too long tbh.

I don't agree with those saying money played a part in his move, if money was an issue, he wouldn't have taken a pay cut to join us when he did. Athletico offered him more to stay but he decided to join a club that had just been to 2 European Cup Finals in 3 years on less money.

Maybe the fact that Athletico don't exist played a part in his decision to reject their offer.

Arse and chavs have got well better attacking players than us mate. Take away Suarez and everything in front of the defence is Aston Villa quality.

Not sure we have even that comfort, being totally honest.

Albrighton, Bent, NZogbia, Agbonlahor, Keane, any would be welcome to help out here for the rest of the season, and would start games.

The plastics are losing patience with him. Just one quote here from one of their forums :

"It's the end of Torres for me. Showing no appetite at all. Although Drogba's getting on, he gives us a focal point for our attack and coming 4th comes before sticking with Torres and hoping he recaptures his form. We should cut our losses in the summer, replace him with either Cavani or Falcao (who we should have bought instead of him in the first place) and forget about it".

Oh dear!! (sniggers quietly)

Why did he reject Chelsea in 2006 then and stayed at Atletico instead, when he could've moved to them and doubled or tripled his wages with them?

We've lost 4 or 5 first team players in the last 2-3 years to clubs which they've believed they have a better chance of winning stuff with. Much like Arsenal, we need to start looking at ourselves and improving our league record instead of blaming other people for players leaving. Winning the Carling cup will be a small step on the road to recovery. Its not enough to guarantee us keeping the likes of Suarez and Reina in the long term, but it would be a start.

I do not know how much truth there is in the Chelsea 2006 link, you probably know better. Perhaps the fact that we were the most feared team in Europe at the time is part of it - as I said, we were the biggest stage to strut his stuff. He did end up getting paid here and I agree - at the end he became disillusioned, as did alot of us, towards the crash of the Hicks/Gilette era- it was a trying time. That said, Chelsea was at best a upward diagonal move, they didnt look like they were on the up, at least to me. They look even less likely now. He has cashed a wedge and is certainly not better for it professionally. He will not be in the Spain 11 imo and is far from respected in London.

As to the main point - there is no substitute for winning in Europe - none. The players who you are suggesting would be swayed one way or another by silver don't care about the league as much as you do imo. Fourth is the same as second. We need to improve enough in the league to secure a place in the dance.

When I have watch Torres this season he is doing a lot of things right, such as holding up of the ball. He still has brilliant movement. He is just lacking confidence, as he won't lose the ability to finish.

I also think he misses the ability of someone like Gerrard who gave him superb service.

i was watching the chelsea birmingham game and i noted how torres just gave up halfway through the first half. He misplaced a few passes and was pretty shit at the start of the game anyway, but then he completely lost his confidence and his runs were more predictable than an Arsenal fuck up. I think that hes still got 'it', but really, chelsea is not the place to find it. I would take him back ONLY if he apologised sincerely and wholeheartedly and promised to shine suarez's shoes

Guest San Don
I'd still do a straight swap with Carroll for him, if he was willing to take a wage drop and apologised for leaving and making an awful mistake.

Me too. But that isn't saying a great deal. There are a handful of strikers in League one I'd have ahead of either of them.

Yeah well thank goodness, neither of yous will be in a position to do that. Weep on for your toy boy.