You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So how many were actually from Liverpool? I heard a a Manc accent, a Bolton accent I think, the black girl at the start who was chucked out on the street to wait for a cab was clearly Irish while trying a blag scouse accent every now and then.

It was truly awful and I cringed throughout.

However, there was one good thing about it, and that was twitter. Some of the comments had me in stitches.

It made the only way is Essex look like a shakespearean play, was anyone from Liverpool ?? That Joe was greast though wasn't he, he managed to muster TWO completely different facial expressions, confused and slightly confuesd. The black bird was a prostitute wasn't she ?? I can only hope they all end up in a desperate scouse fire. I'd never seen Amanda Harrington before that but it's safe to say she's a fucking cunt.

Bloody hell, I can't stop laughing at that lad with the striped shirt. He has the body to head ratio of a fucking Stegosaurus.

Please God nooo!!!! not Mersey Shore... please please please no!

In the depths of hell and despair a man cried out, if there is a God please help me now!

'Desperate' is indeed the most fitting description of this programme. I understand that the participants believe being in this show will/might advance their careers in the media. And, given the success of a total balloon such as Jade Goody, someone may well hit pay dirt after the self-inflicted humiliation of Desperate Scousewives has ended.

On the other hand, the British public's appetite for making the hideous desirable may well be sated before this programme concludes. Then all that will await the current crop of personalities, those that are actually Scousers, will be the local public's constant reminders that they were in "that shite on E4 with the woolybacks and the Irish tart".

But that's what the telly can do for you.

I watch Masterchef Australia on Watch, and the ad breaks on that channel are full of plugs for another show called A Very British Party. I've not watched that myself, but from these ads I can't tell if the people are just actors being eccentric for television, or whether the people are genuinely like that. If it's the later, then it means a lot of people in this country are quite happy to humiliate themselves to become (relatively) famous, and then can't understand why everyone else thinks of them as card-carrying retarded meffs. Either way, reality TV has a lot to answer for. As do the meffs themselves.

• 2 weeks later...