You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving to Australia

Thomo123

Ive been offered a job in Australia, obviously ive done a fair bit of research into what its actually like over there but has/does anybody on here lived/lives their and can offer me some advice. The job is with the Black Group in Queensland working in a car garage, the wages seem decent (approx 85,000 Oz dollars per year) but from what ive read its mega expensive to live there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

If the other option to moving to Australia is staying in Carlisle, I think you know what you should do!

The crux is ive just found out im gonna be a dad, the missus wants to stay here and have the kid with both of our folks around to help out....thus its not quite as simple as just fucking off. Plus in Australia you dont get 362 days of rain a year....id miss it!

The crux is ive just found out im gonna be a dad, the missus wants to stay here and have the kid with both of our folks around to help out....thus its not quite as simple as just fucking off. Plus in Australia you dont get 362 days of rain a year....id miss it!

No, I know mate. If I got the opportunity to move to Australia or Canada the only thing stopping me would be moving so far away from family.

I'm sure The Chimp or Jose Jones will be around to give you some advice when they drag their lazy arses out of bed.

I think your kid would thank you if he was raised Australian.

david-cameron.jpg

[YOUTUBE]eWObgMbh__w[/YOUTUBE]

I love Australia. The missus is Australian, I've lived there before and am sure I'll live there again. However, depending on what you want from life, it's not utopia, and there are things I fucking hate about the place (as there is everywhere, it's just I think some brits that maybe haven't been there overrate the place). That said, it's got to be worth a go..

I love Australia. The missus is Australian, I've lived there before and am sure I'll live there again. However, depending on what you want from life, it's not utopia, and there are things I fucking hate about the place (as there is everywhere, it's just I think some brits that maybe haven't been there overrate the place). That said, it's got to be worth a go..

Please elabourate old son.

I agree there's the grass is greener factor with things like this, but as the man says further up he can always come back if shit goes south. For me, you've got to weigh up your opportunities over here too. I personally think shit's going to get a lot grimmer in the next few years, if Australia is a decent place to escape that, even if it's only for a couple of years, it's got to be worth serious consideration.

Please elabourate old son.

I agree there's the grass is greener factor with things like this, but as the man says further up he can always come back if shit goes south. For me, you've got to weigh up your opportunities over here too. I personally think shit's going to get a lot grimmer in the next few years, if Australia is a decent place to escape that, even if it's only for a couple of years, it's got to be worth serious consideration.

As I say, I do (generally) love the place, and I reckon it's definitely worth trying it. It's fifty fifty whether I'll end up settling down there and raising lots of mini waffles so I'm certainly not dismissing the place. But I guess that's my point, it IS fifty fifty for both of us; there are elements of UK life (bizarre as it sounds at this stage of my life I still sort of prefer the english pace of life, and I feel that London for example is in some ways a more open minded place) that I prefer and vice versa, and the same applies for Mrs Waffle.

Would it make me a horrible person if i went without her, not for good obviously as I love her but for 6 months while i got my shit together. Ive been contemplating it....not sure i have the balls to go on my own though.

6 months? You'd never be forgiven, no matter how accommodating she is, you'd be the one to miss the antenatal appointments, scans ect. It'd be brought up more often then you'd think possible.

Could she not follow you over after say two months after you've found somewhere to live and so on, I'm assuming there's a relocation package? Then should everything look rosie she comes back to the UK to pack her bags and job done.

I'm saying this, she could be one of those hormonal ones - in which case, you're life is laid out for you. x

Would it make me a horrible person if i went without her, not for good obviously as I love her but for 6 months while i got my shit together. Ive been contemplating it....not sure i have the balls to go on my own though.

Great idea. You'd miss all the morning sickness and moaning about swollen ankles and the 'does my bum look big in this?' 'Yes of course, you're pregnant and everything looks big in it.'

You'd come back for the last couple of months,you might even get a bit of a leg over as women's hormones go wild in the last couple of months too.

Great idea.

Anyone can quite easily go to Oz and get a job. I know at least 3 people who are moving there early next year. So all you people who are envious and calling him lucky, you can make it happen for yourself. Just dont go into the paralysis of analysis. Get your ass over there and pck fruit, bar jobs, office jobs.

I think this is called doing a Simon, as in leaving pretty fucking significant info out in the op.

Make sure you and the missus are in agreement about your immediate plans before you go, you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't.

Anyone can quite easily go to Oz and get a job. I know at least 3 people who are moving there early next year. So all you people who are envious and calling him lucky, you can make it happen for yourself. Just dont go into the paralysis of analysis. Get your ass over there and pck fruit, bar jobs, office jobs.

I think you can get a working holiday visa for shite jobs but it only lasts a year I think and you can't get one when you're over 30, far as I know. To get a proper job i.e something you could live off with a family you need to have some skills they want, teaching, electrical etc and you need an employer in tow already I think, don't think you can just go over there and bum around looking for work. The ausies are quite conservative when it comes to these things.

Ive been offered a job in Australia, obviously ive done a fair bit of research into what its actually like over there but has/does anybody on here lived/lives their and can offer me some advice. The job is with the Black Group in Queensland working in a car garage, the wages seem decent (approx 85,000 Oz dollars per year) but from what ive read its mega expensive to live there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Alright there Thomo, nice one on the job offer. Whereabouts in Queensland is it? Queensland is Chimp country so I'm sure he'll be able to offer a bit more advice about that.

Australia is expensive, but 85 grand is a decent wedge. Mind you with the missus preggers and presumably not working for a year or so you'll probably need it!

Things that will be tricky will be selling your house (if you've got one) and buying in Australia - the exchange rate and cost of housing here will kill you at the moment. If you're just renting it'll be no bother, rents aren't too bad.

Things I miss or found hard when moving away were family, friends and football (playing and watching at a decent hour).

Cos the missus is an Aussie and I lived in London we already had a bit of social circle of people to hang out and go drinking with. But it took a while before I developed some of my own mates through work, playing footy, other various means.

We've also got a little boy who's nearly two. My in-laws live in Adelaide (500 miles away) so they aren't really about to help either. It has been a bit tricky at times, particularly when you could just do with someone to look after him for a couple of hours, or paying for a babysitter everytime we want to go out (not very often). Still it's been fine really. Another bonus of having the sprog will be that you meet a load of people through mothers group (organised by the local council) or childcare, some of whom are bound to be in the same boat.

I can't see myself ever moving back really. I'm down with the pace of life, outdoor stuff, better food, happier atmos. Mind you I live in Melbourne which is officially the best city in the world to live, it can be like semi-retirement up in Queensland!