You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Harrison: Living in the Material World

Carradona

Very enjoyable so far - it reminds you how irreverent they were in what were completely different times. Without living through it, or having a significant exposure to the cultural, political and sociological history of the 60s, It's impossible to appreciate just how big the Beatles were. There has been no cultural phenomenon on anywhere near the same scale since. They were deities - politicians would defer to them, film stars would clamour to be in their presence, and album releases would be front page news and make the TV news headlines. I'm just ancient enough to remember when they were breaking up, and it was on the news every night for what seemed like months.

I was really looking forward to this but thought the first part was just alright. The whole maharishi thing is still boring even when it's explained.

most interesting thing was pattie boyd being interviewed about her time with him. she'd still get it.

anybody see the pearl jam doco on friday night? now that was brilliant.

Ringo makes me ashamed to be from the same species as him, never mind the same city.

Stupid, dopey, miserable, completely and utterly talentless, spawny fucking cunt.

I wouldn't wish and assassination attempt on anyone, obviously, but if you REALLY had a beef with The Beatles and you absolutely HAD to take one of them out, then there's surely far stronger candidates than George and John. That's all I'm saying...

Couldn't enjoy it 100% because of Ringo's stupid face talking too much.

Ringo makes me ashamed to be from the same species as him, never mind the same city.

Stupid, dopey, miserable, completely and utterly talentless, spawny fucking cunt.

I wouldn't wish and assassination attempt on anyone, obviously, but if you REALLY had a beef with The Beatles and you absolutely HAD to take one of them out, then there's surely far stronger candidates than George and John. That's all I'm saying...

Everytime Ringo came on screen my Missus was muttering 'Fuck off big nose cunt'

I can't help but feel that even though Paul McCartney is a great musician and songwriter, that he is a massive bell also, not Ringo levels of course.

I loved the clip from the Let it Be sessions were Paul is trying to make out a section is quite difficult, and George just responds with 'It's not difficult at all, I'll play what you want me to play, or I won't play if you don't want to play' showing Macca up for playing to the camera.

George loved the ladies too, and the fact he and Clapton remained best mates till his death says a lot about George itself.

I love hearing Clapton speak about his past and I felt he was a great contributer to the documentary, many others were too. However I just felt Macca was false and that he was one those people that would

Pretend they had taken some LSD and gone round going "Whoah, I'm off my head me, ha look at you, you've got green hair" While John and George just thought 'fuck off knob'

Excellent programme, as was the Pearl Jam on one Friday mentioned by Paul earlier. Just need to catch up with the Simon & Garfunkel one I sky+ last week.

• Upvote 1

The Simon and Garfunkel stuff is well worth a watch, its boss.

Stuff missing from the film is that George goosed Ringo's wife Mo in the same way Clapton goosed Patti, he even did it with Ronnie Wood's wife too. apparently they both bumped in to each on the landing, 'where you going?' 'In there George to your wife' 'Thats funny, i'm going in there to yours!'

He's rumoured to have boffed Madonna in the 80's too.

The film is class, The Beatles are untouchable.

The bit were they argue on Let it Be was like watching your ma and da fight

Robbing bleeding hippie. His most famous song 'My Sweet Lord' was ripped off from the Chiffons.

"In 1976, Bright Tunes Music sued Harrison because this (My Sweet Lord)sounded too much like the 1963 Chiffons hit "He's So Fine." Bright Tunes owned the copyright to "He's So Fine" and received $587,000 when a judge ruled that Harrison "subconsciously plagiarized" the song. Harrison claimed he got the idea for the song from The Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day," not "He's So Fine."

Robbing bleeding hippie. His most famous song 'My Sweet Lord' was ripped off from the Chiffons.

"In 1976, Bright Tunes Music sued Harrison because this (My Sweet Lord)sounded too much like the 1963 Chiffons hit "He's So Fine." Bright Tunes owned the copyright to "He's So Fine" and received $587,000 when a judge ruled that Harrison "subconsciously plagiarized" the song. Harrison claimed he got the idea for the song from The Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day," not "He's So Fine."

He's not the only who's done it.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...