You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Govt. Bans "Muslims Against Crusades"

AngryOfTuebrook

BBC News - Muslims Against Crusades banned by Theresa May

The home secretary is banning Muslims Against Crusades (MAC), a group that planned an anti-Armistice Day protest.

It had wanted to repeat a demonstration held last year, when it burned poppies near London's Albert Hall.

Theresa May's order will make membership or support of MAC a criminal offence. It is closely linked to seven other previously-banned groups.

The organisation, now dissolved, said "the call for Islam will never be silenced by any ban or proscription".

Mrs May said she was satisfied that Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) was "simply another name for an organisation already proscribed under a number of names".

"The organisation was proscribed in 2006 for glorifying terrorism and we are clear it should not be able to continue these activities by simply changing its name," she said.

Muslims Against Crusades is the latest incarnation of an organisation originally set up by extremist preacher Omar Bakri Mohammed, who fled the UK six years ago.

Its previous versions are all proscribed groups. Most recently, it has been involved in potential stand-offs with the English Defence League and it also demonstrated outside the US Embassy on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Anjem Choudary, the leading public figure in the organisation, accused the government of attempting to cover up the truth - but hours later the group declared that it was "hearby dissolved".

The planned "Hell for Heroes" demonstration was also scrapped.

Anyone who would have joined the demonstration as a member or supporter of MAC could face up to 10 years in jail.

Individuals can be charged with an offence if police have reasonable suspicion that activities are linked to a banned group.

In a statement on its website, MAC said: "The intended banning of Muslims Against Crusades by Home Secretary Theresa May is a great victory for Islam and Muslims and highlights the sheer hatred the British government has towards sincere Muslims who wish to peacefully speak out against policies that are (from every angle) anti-Islam and anti-Muslim."

Member fined

During its 2010 protest, members of the group burned poppies and chanted "British soldiers, burn in hell".

One of the group was found guilty of public order offences and fined. The judge in the case described the actions as a "calculated and deliberate insult to the dead and those who mourn or remember them".

Julie Siddiqui of the Islamic Society of Britain had been organising a counter-demonstration for Friday.

She said: "In one sweep, Muslims Against Crusades display an unspeakable disregard for the feelings and common bond of our countrymen and women, a contempt and rejection of our hard-earned democracy and its institutions, a disdain for the majority of British Muslims - who do not share their views - and a violation of the example of the Prophet Muhammad."

Tory MP Mike Freer welcomed the decision to proscribe Muslims Against Crusades.

Last month one of his constituency meetings, being held in a mosque, was disrupted by Muslims Against Crusades.

He was moved for his safety to a locked part of the building while its management waited for police to arrive. MAC later denied threatening Mr Freer.

Mr Freer said: "What we must also do is ensure that any new incarnation of this group continues to be monitored because past history tells us that this group does reform, rename and reappear."

Mrs May said she was satisfied that Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) was "simply another name for an organisation already proscribed under a number of names".

Isn't that an admission that banning groups doesn't work?

Meanwhile, a tiny number of self-aggrandising bellends can tell themselves that they are (a) martyrs, (b) right about this being an oppressive, racist state and © getting under the Government's skin.

Another stupid move by a stupid person working for a stupid Government.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting timing of the announcement don't you think? This decision must have been taken at least a few days ago, but announced at a point (yesterday) when MP's were questioning May about her Border Agency debacle, and at the height of poppy fever (the day before Armistice Day and with victory over those dratted johnny foreigners FIFA being celebrated).

Wait. Could it have been timed to give May some relief from the criticism? No. Surely not?

Yet more crowd pleasing nonsense from the Tories. You can't ban an opinion, and frankly you shouldn't want to. Pointless rhetoric. They'd disbanded anyway and can easily reform under a new name as they have done few times already. Theresa May is a cunt I wouldn't fuck with someone else's dick.

Yet more crowd pleasing nonsense from the Tories. You can't ban an opinion, and frankly you shouldn't want to. Pointless rhetoric. They'd disbanded anyway and can easily reform under a new name as they have done few times already. Theresa May is a cunt I wouldn't fuck with someone else's dick.

If they named themselves The Commodores or something, they'd get a much better press.

Meanwhile, a tiny number of self-aggrandising bellends can tell themselves that they are (a) martyrs, (b) right about this being an oppressive, racist state and © getting under the Government's skin.

Another stupid move by a stupid person working for a stupid Government.

A group that wants to adopt Sharia law and ignore UK law is hardly in a position to call anybody else oppressive.

They're inciting hatred and should be proscribed.

Not sure banning the group is a good idea, they must be addressed and dealt with democratically.

This Government sure does have a weird view of protesting. First they say that they won't sit down and talk with people who riot ala the students, despite it being a minority.

Then when almost all the students protest peacefully, they still won't listen.

Secondly, when we had the tents outside St Pauls, they did all they could to discredit their opinions then eventually moved them on!

It's weird, it's like a semi democracy.

wether you agree with them or not, they should be allowed to protest, we are supposed to be believers in free speech. this should mean everyone gets their say, you dont have to agree with them, i dont nor do i believe in the english defence league, but they have the same rights, banning them just dont work

wether you agree with them or not, they should be allowed to protest, we are supposed to be believers in free speech. this should mean everyone gets their say, you dont have to agree with them, i dont nor do i believe in the english defence league, but they have the same rights, banning them just dont work

The EDL can fuck off too. Blah blah freedom of speech, get fucked, most are dickwads with no interest in political activism but after a good punch up. There's being tolerant and a Graun tree-hugging dipshit desperate to be right-on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think it's a good idea to take people's freedoms from them, just because they're doing something we don't like, or holding view we don't agree with. That ends well, every single time. I also think it's a good idea to ban these groups and push them underground. I don't think you should tackle extremism with education and debate, you should poke it with a stick and hope it goes away.

I'm sick of arguing against this government. If you can't beat 'em...

The EDL can fuck off too. Blah blah freedom of speech, get fucked, most are dickwads with no interest in political activism but after a good punch up. There's being tolerant and a Graun tree-hugging dipshit desperate to be right-on.

Problem is that you cant pick and choose the groups you allow. As long as these groups,no matter how loathsome,use peaceful protests then they have a right to protest.

I hate the EDL too but we have to be careful how we pick and choose.

They're not even proper muslims this lot. All the muslims I know drink a lot and sleep around.

I don't know any muslims. I knew Mr Shabir and his son Tubs who ran the local shop when I lived in Netherley, but I moved from there years ago now. My local corner shop is run by white people now would you believe.

Isn't that an admission that banning groups doesn't work?

Pretty much. Her options are kind of limited by the earlier decisions though, surely? She can hardly leave MAC alone when it's been banned under every other name previously. The only other alternative would be to reverse all the previous banning decisions. Going to happen? No.