You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To be fair there isn't really a stand out option.

I think Stokes would be good in a 'lead by example' way but no idea how he would fare tactically and that's without his mental struggles, his disciplinary record, regular injuries and his up and down form.

I think Broad would be a better tactician, but rumour has it that him, Anderson and a couple of others have been a bit cliquey and that he is not over popular in the dressing room or with Root, who is still by miles our best batsman

I have been faIrly  impressed by James Vince's captaincy at Sussex , and he's certainly not the worst batsman we have had lately. Rory Burns is another possible I suppose, if they decide he is one of the openers for the upcoming tests.

Both would be fucking terrible. Neither would have the first clue about captaincy, just like Root.

Vince, Morgan, Abell, Rhodes, Billings...choose a fucking captain. 

I always find the idea that a captain must be a great player to be utter nonsense anyway. So what if a captain averages 30 rather than 40? Their captaincy can be worth far more than 20 runs over the course of a test match. Often five times that. But now the opportunity is even greater than normal to roll the dice because we basically only have Root, and Stokes at a push, that are test quality batsmen.

What would Rhodes or Vince need to do worth their place in the team? Be as good as fucking Zak Crawley?

Won't happen though, they'll give it to Stokes who would be like Botham - absymal. Lots of bravado but tactically clueless. Or Broad, who would use every single review off his own bowling and probably not much better than Stokes tactically anyway.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Both would be fucking terrible. Neither would have the first clue about captaincy, just like Root.

Vince, Morgan, Abell, Rhodes, Billings...choose a fucking captain. 

I always find the idea that a captain must be a great player to be utter nonsense anyway. So what if a captain averages 30 rather than 40? Their captaincy can be worth far more than 20 runs over the course of a test match. Often five times that. But now the opportunity is even greater than normal to roll the dice because we basically only have Root, and Stokes at a push, that are test quality batsmen.

What would Rhodes or Vince need to be worth their place in the team? Be as good as fucking Zak Crawley?

Won't happen though, they'll give it to Stokes who would be like Botham - absymal. Lots of bravado but tactically clueless. Or Broad, who would use every single review off his own bowling and probably not much better than Stokes tactically anyway.

100% this. The captain does not need to be a great player, one of our finest captains was a bog standard batsman (and that’s being kind)

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

100% this. The captain does not need to be a great player, one of our finest captains was a bog standard batsman (and that’s being kind)

Zero hundreds in 39 games, averaging under 23. 

He could have been out first ball every innings and he'd still have been worth his place as captain.

Incidentally I found this a few weeks ago -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Gmvu5u6LOiLra3f0fYZPw/videos

Channel with a load of old bods talking about cricket in the past. A few guests include Brearley, Lloyd, Amiss, Dexter. Interesting in parts. 

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Absolutely, like you I’ve no doubt they’ll “give it Stokesie” and I’ll die a bit inside.

Yeah, I think it'll be him. Would be an even worse decision considering his mental health problems over the last year or so.

21 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

How many potentially good cricketers spend time overseas in the English winter honing their skills and learning to bat or bowl on different wickets?

Loads used to go to Australia and play club cricket. Not sure it happens much with IPL and Covid these days.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alles ist gut said:

“Summery”?

Also I’m assuming the no-ball was just spite by an opposition umpire

First wicket bowled middle stump, second caught at cover (excellent catch), third caught at mid-off, fourth caught wicket keeper thin inside edge, fifth caught & bowled.  With the bat 14 not out batting at 10,  one four and one six, but we lost by 9 runs.  

Yes, I questioned the no ball with a "really"?

Had my first net for about ten years last Thursday.

The off breaks were a mixture of unplayable, through the gate, deliveries that ripped out leg stump and...some stuff that landed on top of the net.

The batting was good though and, to be fair, I was a batsman.

Found this website very good to refresh a few things -

https://www.youtube.com/c/CoachCricXIOnlineCricketCoaching/videos

I got 7 hole in one's at Royal Birkdale once. 4 birds, 2 googles and saw an Albatross fucking an Eagle. My card got wet in the rain so I couldn't record it. 

I hadn't played Cricket in years but that was a great round. 

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I got 7 hole in one's at Royal Birkdale once. 4 birds, 2 googles and saw an Albatross fucking an Eagle. My card got wet in the rain so I couldn't record it. 

I hadn't played Cricket in years but that was a great round. 

You’re Trumps Korean mate and I claim

my five pounds.