You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The evidence of the two first innings could not have been more clear, the ball is dangerous at first but turns into a marshmallow fairly quickly so be circumspect right ?  Crawley decides to throw a loose booming drive within 10 minutes and gets caught in the slips. They're trolling us.

This is without doubt the worst England cricket team I’ve ever seen.

They have nothing. Piss poor captain though a decent batsman.  Disinterested top player in Stokes. Spinners who everyone knows can’t take wickets. Useless batting line up. Gonna get a fucking good pasting from whoever they play. 

Root must honestly be one of the worst captains I've ever seen for any country. Im really struggling to think of someone who is worse. I was never a fan of Cook's captaincy, he was too defensive but at least he had a style even if you didn't agree with it and he handled the players well. Root just seems clueless in every department, not a single redeeming feature.

13 hours ago, corro said:

This is without doubt the worst England cricket team I’ve ever seen.

They have nothing. Piss poor captain though a decent batsman.  Disinterested top player in Stokes. Spinners who everyone knows can’t take wickets. Useless batting line up. Gonna get a fucking good pasting from whoever they play. 

Yes it’s the worst English side I’ve ever seen, only two players are test standard.

12 hours ago, Gooch said:

Root must honestly be one of the worst captains I've ever seen for any country. Im really struggling to think of someone who is worse. I was never a fan of Cook's captaincy, he was too defensive but at least he had a style even if you didn't agree with it and he handled the players well. Root just seems clueless in every department, not a single redeeming feature.

Cook was brutal with his non declarations 

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Should have gone a long time ago

Agreed. At no point has he ever looked like a competent captain. He's also the best batsman by some distance so it makes no sense him having the added pressure. 

The bar is so low because he's such a shit captain, and because our batting generally is so pathetic (and consequently a new captain that came into the team wouldn't need to average 45 to be worth his place in the team) that it's time to roll the dice. Even with the paucity of options. Root has proven himself to be a tactically inept, uninspiring, pitiful captain. 

56 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Bring England Captain seems to ruin so many good players.

It’s the added pressure, as Jairz says the Captain doesn’t even necessarily have to be all that as a player, see Brearley. We seem obsessed with simply making our best player captain, pound to a pinch of shit if they fucked Root off they’d replace him with Stokes.

I think Root must go as he brings nothing to the captaincy other than his own batting brilliance. The problem is that each of the main candidates have question marks.

Stokes seems the obvious successor but his recent mental struggles may not be aided by extra pressure.

Broad and Anderson ( particularly ) are veterans and were quite critical during the Ashes and it is strongly suggested that Root was behind their non-appearance in the Caribbean which raises the question of Root's mindset if they were promoted.

None of the other players used during the Ashes or Windies tours scream captaincy material.

I would like to see an outsider like Abell or a relative outsider like Billings get a go.

• Upvote 1