You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

India look to have found another top spinner in Kuldeep Yadav, three excellent wickets on his debut this morning.

Steven Smith is in great form, another century today.

Australia have fought back well in this series after losing the two series against Sri Lanka and South Africa, should be a good test when England visit next winter.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Two weeks until the Ashes starts, what are we all predicting?

I reckon England will get beat 4-1. We will get battered in most games but will sneak one either at the day/night match at Adelaide depending on the toss and getting the best of the conditions, or we will win in Sydney where our record is decent and the Aussies will have lost some motivation with the win in the bag.

I expected we would get beat even when I thought Stokes would be playing, now that he won't be there I don't think it will even be much of a contest. I think the weak batting will put too much pressure on Cook and Root to perform and I expect Starc to be star of the show for the Aussies.

What's the thoughts on the Stokes & Hales thing ?

Seems ridiculous that we have grounded Hales particularly when he doesn't appear to have been actively involved in the scrap at all , and while accepting that he shouldn't have been drinking at that time, if it does turn out that Stokes was defending some gay lads from attack / abuse and the charges are dropped how stupid are we going to look.

Call me a cynic but if that was 2 vital Aussie players they wouldn't be missing the Ashes.

What's the thoughts on the Stokes & Hales thing ?

Seems ridiculous that we have grounded Hales particularly when he doesn't appear to have been actively involved in the scrap at all , and while accepting that he shouldn't have been drinking at that time, if it does turn out that Stokes was defending some gay lads from attack / abuse and the charges are dropped how stupid are we going to look.

Call me a cynic but if that was 2 vital Aussie players they wouldn't be missing the Ashes.

Plenty of Aussies have been left out for rather weaker disrepute reasons in the last few years so I think Stokes would definitely have been dropped had he been Australian. Probably in an even more ham-fisted manner as well, going on the recent behaviour of Cricket Australia.

Anyway, I think it will be an easy win for the Aussies too. Unless there’s two months of cloud cover down here.

Guest Pistonbroke

The Aussies aren't without their own problems and I don't see them as massive favourites. Home advantage will be a massive bonus, plus our lads tend to struggle down under, we are also missing one of our best players. I reckon it will be a close fought contest which the Aussies will win by the odd match, I also wouldn't write off England drawing the series. 

• 2 years later...

BBC has an hour long highlights programme of the 2005 series tonight at 10.

Always remember Giles Smith in the Times saying that he loves the opening game of the cricket season and cant wait for the unmistakable sound of ' leather on student '

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

BBC has an hour long highlights programme of the 2005 series tonight at 10.

Always remember Giles Smith in the Times saying that he loves the opening game of the cricket season and cant wait for the unmistakable sound of ' leather on student '

Channel 4 actually mate.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...