You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

Good knock by Bairstow, poor shots from both Ali and Broad, Ali has been utter shit with the bat at test level lately, maybe batting so far down the order has affected his shot selection. 

That cloud cover isn't going anywhere though and I can see us getting SL all out for under 200. I also can't see Root fucking up in his second innings. Match is evenly poised imo and maybe England slightly ahead. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Nice spell from Anderson and Broad, 2 quick wickets, 1 apiece. I think I'll revise my score of getting them all out for under 200 to 150. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Hot knife through butter at the moment, every delivery looks dangerous. Bairstow with three catches.

They are hitting the perfect line and length for Headingley, especially when cloud cover is about. Bowl to your slips and let the swing take the edge. 

Forget my revised score of all out for under 150, at this rate it could be under a 120 or better. 

This top four is worse than Zimbabwe's. Bit cowardly from Thirimanne and Mathews (comfortably their two best batsman) to stay at five and six with Jayawardene and Sangakkara gone. They'll be 20/4 in most games so they'll have to bat early anyway.

England's batting has plenty of questions about it, only Cook, Root and Bairstow look to be mainstays to me, but the seam bowling is world class, especially on green pitches. Anderson, Broad and Finn are top class, and with Ball looking a very good prospect and hopefully Wood to return to full fitness, there is quality back up too. 

The Aussies can practice all they like with the Duke ball, but they won't be able to replicate the conditions or the quality of the bowling. I can still see them being at sixes and sevens in conditions like this. It isn't even a contest against the weaker test nations and those that can't win away from home like India. Hopefully Pakistan will put up some resistance and they will have very good pace bowlers of their own as well as a world class spinner.