You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke
I don't know what these batsmen are taught but I was told the sweep should be used as a last resort as it is the riskiest shot for the smallest return. Straight bat down the ground was always coached to us unless you were a brilliant player of the sweep shot. We seem to use the sweep shot as the default way to play spin with no consideration where the ball is pitching which is ridiculous as when it's full you're asking for trouble, if you look at the dismissals many of them were sweeps to full balls. We really need to improve our playing of spin, especially in the sub-continent.

Spot on mate, dumbfounds me that top class batsmen are still using the sweep shot on the sub continent when it has been a massive contribution to the loss of wickets. It seems they lose their patients are desperate to keep the score ticking over regardless of what kind of ball they face, how about using your fucking feet to put the bowler off his line and length!!!

We didn't gain number 1 test ranking by luck and i still believe we are one of the best all round teams in the World. Not time to flap just yet, but if the batsmen take this attitude into the next test against Sri Lanka and go into the S:A series on a complete downer it just might be.

Bob Willis pisses me off in the studio with his massive knee jerking attitude. Going on about Strauss packing it in this summer etc...fuck off you miserable cunt.

It's got something to do with Flower, who was an excellent player against spin and often used the sweep shot

Flower can play it, unfortunately ours cannot. If the sweep shot was something that is taught all the way through English cricket then I could understand the reason for us using it but through my experience people prefer the method of a straight bat. I just don't see how sweeping a ball gets you more runs than say nudging it back down the ground or onto the leg side, it's a more risky shot for the same amount of runs.

Flower can play it, unfortunately ours cannot. If the sweep shot was something that is taught all the way through English cricket then I could understand the reason for us using it but through my experience people prefer the method of a straight bat. I just don't see how sweeping a ball gets you more runs than say nudging it back down the ground or onto the leg side, it's a more risky shot for the same amount of runs.

I do agree with you, I'm just saying that the coach will have an influence in how to play in the SC against spinners and Flower will be saying that the sweep is an effective tool

Fletcher also was a believer in the sweep so you've got to think that most of these batsman would've been drilled into playing the sweep shot

Flower was also a brilliant player of the reverse sweep. In fact if I recall correctly he was more famous for that. I think he used to play hockey growing up and the sticks are all right handed. Hence him being excellent at the reverse sweep.

I think quite a few of ours used the sweep when playing against Warne and Murali, especially on the sub-continent. I remember one series when SL regularly had 8 men on the onside and would pitch it way outside leg. Playing that shot became a necessity to be scoring. Dont remember it causing us many problems. I haven`t watched any of the England SL match, but I do not think that cutting the sweep shot out would not have won the game for you. The lack of experience playing quality spin bowlers in conditions like these would prolly still have lost you the game regardless. Same reasons why sub continental teams struggle abroad against quality fast bowling.

That`s not a slight. There only have been 2 cricket teams that have won games regularly in all conditions.

Flower was also a brilliant player of the reverse sweep. In fact if I recall correctly he was more famous for that. I think he used to play hockey growing up and the sticks are all right handed. Hence him being excellent at the reverse sweep.

I think quite a few of ours used the sweep when playing against Warne and Murali, especially on the sub-continent. I remember one series when SL regularly had 8 men on the onside and would pitch it way outside leg. Playing that shot became a necessity to be scoring. Dont remember it causing us many problems. I haven`t watched any of the England SL match, but I do not think that cutting the sweep shot out would not have won the game for you. The lack of experience playing quality spin bowlers in conditions like these would prolly still have lost you the game regardless. Same reasons why sub continental teams struggle abroad against quality fast bowling.

That`s not a slight. There only have been 2 cricket teams that have won games regularly in all conditions.

The problem for us is that the sweep isn't a natural, ingrained shot for us whereas you lot on the sub-continent have always played it. 4 out of 8 LBWs were from sweeping a ball at full length, it could have been avoided if they'd just used a straight bat. The way I look at it is that the sweep shot doesn't produce more runs just creates greater risk. Of course, others will see it the other way round.

Guest Pistonbroke
Sri Lanka all out for 275.

England doing well for a change, 83-0 at tea. As long as England don't collapse they'll win this.

Looking good with the bat for a change. The penny has finally dropped with Strauss that he needs to be patient on these pitches. Just have to hope that those who follow take the same stance and we should end the first innings with a healthy lead...Strauss gets his 50 as i type, 94/0.

Guest Pistonbroke

Personally think Anderson and Finn will be the better bowlers in your second innings. I wouldn't be surprised to see Finn get 4 or 5 wickets.

Guest Pistonbroke

Close of play, England 154/1 trail by 121. Definitely England's day, slow going but enthralling all the same. Sets up a great third day. If we can get a 100-150 lead it will make things very interesting when Sri Lanka bat second on a wicket that will only get harder to bat on.