You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pretty remarkable turnaround from this team in the space of 3 tests, especially considering it’s largely the same players that have failed in the past. Wasn’t 100% in on Stokes as captain but the partnership with Mccullum looks great. Not sure you could ask for much more at this stage.

Would back these players in these conditions to go and win against India and South Africa given what we’ve seen. Made some quality bowlers look very average for large parts of this series.

1 hour ago, Gooch said:

Pretty remarkable turnaround from this team in the space of 3 tests, especially considering it’s largely the same players that have failed in the past. Wasn’t 100% in on Stokes as captain but the partnership with Mccullum looks great. Not sure you could ask for much more at this stage.

Would back these players in these conditions to go and win against India and South Africa given what we’ve seen. Made some quality bowlers look very average for large parts of this series.

Personally I don't think you can read too much into these tests. I didn't see much of the lords tests, but the pitches in Nottingham and Leeds were way too easy to bat on. I was at the Sunday of the Nottingham test and it was just tedious. And the way bairstow has been able to score runs on day 5 - not just the runs but the manner of them, I think 72 of 40-odd deliveries today after the fastest ever test ton on day 5 of Trent bridge, just shows these fellas are playing on pitches that are too one sided. It was basically the 2 worst teams in test cricket being allowed to be played on pitches that were pretty sure to get them beyond day 4. The quality of our bowling, fielding and batting needs to massively improve and allow some pitches that make it a real competition between bat and ball. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I don't think you can read too much into these tests. I didn't see much of the lords tests, but the pitches in Nottingham and Leeds were way too easy to bat on. I was at the Sunday of the Nottingham test and it was just tedious. And the way bairstow has been able to score runs on day 5 - not just the runs but the manner of them, I think 72 of 40-odd deliveries today after the fastest ever test ton on day 5 of Trent bridge, just shows these fellas are playing on pitches that are too one sided. It was basically the 2 worst teams in test cricket being allowed to be played on pitches that were pretty sure to get them beyond day 4. The quality of our bowling, fielding and batting needs to massively improve and allow some pitches that make it a real competition between bat and ball. 

The pitches are flatter for sure but it needed to happen. Can’t have dobblers like Darren Stevens bagging wickets every week anymore it doesn’t help anyone. What seems to have compounded it is the balls are shite and go out of shape way too quickly. Maybe if they sort that it’ll be a bit better. Think it’s a step in the right direction for now though.

Ultimately both teams got a go on these tracks and its the England batsman who’ve dominated, so think there’s still reasons to be positive. Probably won’t get away with playing like it overseas, but would just take winning at home again at this point for now.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Was planning on going tomorrow before starting work but Yorkshire CCC in there infinite wisdom decided tickets are free but you have to purchase them online max 4 per person and surprise surprise they have "sold out" on the bright side I'm sure the touts will make a few quid

Watching the highlights tonight, didn’t exactly look like a sold out crowd.. clearly the touts didn’t manage to sell their hoards… which is a shame !

14 hours ago, Gooch said:

The pitches are flatter for sure but it needed to happen. Can’t have dobblers like Darren Stevens bagging wickets every week anymore it doesn’t help anyone. What seems to have compounded it is the balls are shite and go out of shape way too quickly. Maybe if they sort that it’ll be a bit better. Think it’s a step in the right direction for now though.

Ultimately both teams got a go on these tracks and its the England batsman who’ve dominated, so think there’s still reasons to be positive. Probably won’t get away with playing like it overseas, but would just take winning at home again at this point for now.

Yeah, but the bowlers are not mostly getting the batsmen out, they're getting themselves out because they're batting like it's a one day game.

I agree about the balls though. They've been a joke, I think one of the innings one lasted about 10 overs and the replacement not much longer. They certainly need to do something about that, but way too late for the India tour. 

14 minutes ago, magicrat said:

The business of describing wicket hauls as  fivefors and tenfors does my fucking head in. That prick Hussein is the worst offender

He's incapable of speaking like a normal human.

"He's got long levers" "Getting drinks on board" "Going big" "Buzzers" etc.

Insufferable shite.

As for the New Zealand series, I think we made some definite improvement. McCullum keeps things simple and appears to be a very good motivator. Flat decks, a seamless cricket ball, and a decimated bowling attack helped the batting obviously. New Zealand seemed a touch unlucky with the injuries - the Jamieson one destroyed them in that test. However their top order was shit throughout, as was the captaincy from Williamson (and Latham when he stood in), and bar Boult no-one bowled consistently. Bracewell wouldn't stand out as a decent bowler in club cricket.

The South Africa series will be interesting as they appear to have improved a bit recently.

29 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He's incapable of speaking like a normal human.

"He's got long levers" "Getting drinks on board" "Going big" "Buzzers" etc.

Insufferable shite.

As for the New Zealand series, I think we made some definite improvement. McCullum keeps things simple and appears to be a very good motivator. Flat decks, a seamless cricket ball, and a decimated bowling attack helped the batting obviously. New Zealand seemed a touch unlucky with the injuries - the Jamieson one destroyed them in that test. However their top order was shit throughout, as was the captaincy from Williamson (and Latham when he stood in), and bar Boult no-one bowled consistently. Bracewell wouldn't stand out as a decent bowler in club cricket.

The South Africa series will be interesting as they appear to have improved a bit recently.

Yeh agree with that. Not swinging my dick about England yet or that reverse sweeping every other ball is a sustainable way to win test matches !

14 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Yeh agree with that. Not swinging my dick about England yet or that reverse sweeping every other ball is a sustainable way to win test matches !

Yeah, if we try that against Khan, Ashwin or Lyon we'll be made to look very stupid - I imagine we wouldn't, to be fair. Fine against someone like Bracewell, who is no better a bowler than Root. 

So few decent test spinners. They're all playing 20 over shite - Hasaranga, Zampa, Shamsi, Nasum Ahmed, Santner, etc.