You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Enjoyed those highlights. Edge of the seat stuff!

One comment about Babar Azam. Have you ever seen any other top player and captain so awkward in front of the camera during interviews? I piss myself when he just answers the questions by sheepishly repeating word for word what the interviewer has asked. Does anyone on here speak Pakistani? Is it just a second language thing or is he the same awkward fucker when he’s speaking to their TV people?

And what are we thinking of The Hundred this week? I think I won’t bother with the ladies one but I’ll have a look on Thursday. I enjoyed the BBC’s live stuff on Sunday just gone.

One of my mates is massively into the cricket and goes to as many matches as he can, often on his own but in February this year he managed to persuade me and another ten of my mates to sign up for it as something to look forward to during the doom and despair of the Winter Lockdown. We went to Trent Bridge on Friday and really enjoyed it even though England lost. 

It was a really great atmosphere, lots of friendly rivalry between the England and Pakistan fans and it felt good to be in a stadium watching entertaining live sport for the first time in over two years.

I doubt I will ever be a real cricket fan, but would recommend it as a good day/night out. Already looking at going to one of the County T20 games later in the year.    

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

One of my mates is massively into the cricket and goes to as many matches as he can, often on his own but in February this year he managed to persuade me and another ten of my mates to sign up for it as something to look forward to during the doom and despair of the Winter Lockdown. We went to Trent Bridge on Friday and really enjoyed it even though England lost. 

It was a really great atmosphere, lots of friendly rivalry between the England and Pakistan fans and it felt good to be in a stadium watching entertaining live sport for the first time in over two years.

I doubt I will ever be a real cricket fan, but would recommend it as a good day/night out. Already looking at going to one of the County T20 games later in the year.    

It looked cracking on the TV on Friday. I’d love to go to see England in any format but I don’t really know anyone else that likes the cricket and would be up for coming with me. I couldn’t go by myself. 

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

What do you think about the concept generally , can't say I can generate any interest at the moment.

I’m a bit ‘meh’ but happy to watch more cricket and it’s on BBC. Not sure if there’s room for it and 20/20

Just watched the last 50-odd deliveries of The 100 match. It's clear that like T20 it is more about entertainment than technical skill. I'm not sure how they are doing the 'overs' so I'd have to look that up, but the most notable thing is just how much of a big unit the umpire is. Entire-middle-row-on-a-flight sort of big unit.

22 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Just watched the last 50-odd deliveries of The 100 match. It's clear that like T20 it is more about entertainment than technical skill. I'm not sure how they are doing the 'overs' so I'd have to look that up, but the most notable thing is just how much of a big unit the umpire is. Entire-middle-row-on-a-flight sort of big unit.

No overs as such- each bowler can either bowl 5 or 10 deliveries in a row, depending on the captain, and no more than 20 in the innings. There was nothing really wrong with the T20 stuff in terms of popularity, it's just that the ECB didn't have their fingers in the pie, hence this- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/20/hundred-ecb-cricket-the-spin

I quite enjoy watching women’s cricket.  I’ve just realised that may be because it’s more relatable.  When I watch men’s internationals they are hitting it 90m and bowling over 90mph.   In women’s you get full tosses, people of al shapes and sizes, hardly any 6’s and the odd bit of brilliant play - just like amateur cricket. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Trumo said:

That’s the big heifer from Bridesmaids isn’t it.

Why do all ofthe new competitions have such complicated rules ?

The new Bob Willis trophy format would give Stephen Hawking a migraine if he wasn't dead.

Not sure that the pinning the teams in one city will help the 100. I'm aware that Lancashire are generally wools but I still feel invested , but not sure calling a team specifically Manchester will engage people from Liverpool , Preston , Burnley et al.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Why do all ofthe new competitions have such complicated rules ?

The new Bob Willis trophy format would give Stephen Hawking a migraine if he wasn't dead.

Not sure that the pinning the teams in one city will help the 100. I'm aware that Lancashire are generally wools but I still feel invested , but not sure calling a team specifically Manchester will engage people from Liverpool , Preston , Burnley et al.

If you’re a Glos fan the closest you have is either the Welsh, Southampton or Birmingham ffs. 

Fuck this shite off, just have a proper T20 competition and have that on terrestrial television instead. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

If you’re a Glos fan the closest you have is either the Welsh, Southampton or Birmingham ffs. 

Fuck this shite off, just have a proper T20 competition and have that on terrestrial television instead. 

I agree with Rico that any cricket is better than nowt on the tv , but I just don't know why this ever became a thing. The itinerary seems chock a block as it is with the season starting earlier and finishing later than ever.

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I agree with Rico that any cricket is better than nowt on the tv , but I just don't know why this ever became a thing. The itinerary seems chock a block as it is with the season starting earlier and finishing later than ever.

The ECB obviously hoping it takes off like the IPL. If it becomes even half as successful they’ll be vindicated. 

It says in that Guardian article that Aaron Finch and Glenn Maxwell have gone home. Have we got any other big name foreigners playing? India must already be in the country, right?

I’m not talking about the women’s stuff because I haven’t got a scooby who any of them are. 

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Despite the ECB introducing T20 they missed out on the massive financial paydays the IPL/Bigbash etc cashed in on. 

This is their attempt to try and get some of that pie. Why they had to completely fuck with the format I don’t know. 

I just want this to fail and a proper T20 tournament be available on free to air telly so I definitely won’t be watching this.