You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As I said, perfectly timed declaration from McCullum!

Seriously though, this NZ team is a breath of fresh air.  Nearly 800 runs for the game at approaching 5 an over.  Good pace attack, incessantly attacking fields.

The best couple of Tests I've watched for a while.  Credit to England for their part.

Looking forward to the Ashes.  

Hopefully both sides will be prepared to go for each other's throats.

Looking forward to the Ashes.  

Hopefully both sides will be prepared to go for each other's throats.

So am I. It should be a cracking series. I can't help feel though that the Aussies will sour it massively through their constant sledging and abuse. NZ and England have proven cricket can still be compelling and competitive without the sledging.

I really hope the Aussies prove me wrong here, mind, and play the series with - and in - a great spirit.

There is nothing more annoying than this belief that Australia are the only ones who sledge. Granted, there are a couple of twats in the side who go over the top, but outside of that, players from both sides give as good as they get. Do people think that Michael Clarke said what he did to Jimmy Anderson in Brisbane at the beginning of the last Ashes series just because Anderson came to the crease smiling? Give me a break. 

• Upvote 1

There is nothing more annoying than this belief that Australia are the only ones who sledge. Granted, there are a couple of twats in the side who go over the top, but outside of that, players from both sides give as good as they get. Do people think that Michael Clarke said what he did to Jimmy Anderson in Brisbane at the beginning of the last Ashes series just because Anderson came to the crease smiling? Give me a break.

Of course you're not the only ones who sledge. You're the worst, though. By a distance. Everyone knows that.

I personally hate it. But then I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Not a young buck like J and maybe yourself.

Guest Pistonbroke

The first test match between the Windies and Australia starts today, should give us a pretty good idea of what pain is coming our way. 

I often haven't liked the way our players have carried on over the years, right from Ian Chappell's "Ugly Australians".

If you watch that West Indies documentary "Fire in Babylon", the claims among those 1970s players are that the sledging was quite racial.

But, sledging is a part of the game, a game I love.

And it does throw up the occasional very funny story.

Like many things today, the microscopic detail with which technology and the media allow us to view and listen to the game... and the sensationalist motivations 24/7 digital age "journalists" have in reporting things... is as much a part of the problem as the sledging itself.

The first test match between the Windies and Australia starts today, should give us a pretty good idea of what pain is coming our way. 

I'm not so sure, G.

The Ashes is no fait accompli, ever.... going from 0-3 to 5-0 in the two most recent examples, is testimony to that.

An in-form Cook and the possible emergence of Stokes gives you a platform.

I think the big question is whether Anderson and Broad can deliver.

But, sledging is a part of the game, a game I love.

And it does throw up the occasional very funny story.

Like many things today, the microscopic detail with which technology and the media allow us to view and listen to the game... and the sensationalist motivations 24/7 digital age "journalists" have in reporting things... is as much a part of the problem as the sledging itself.

Sledging can be funny, I agree, and the witty banter I have no issue with. There are plenty of examples of some absolute classic banter, as well....."How's your wife and my kids?".....

The 'get ready to have your arm broken' shit? That shit I'm not on board with.

As for that sort of shit being 'part of the game'. That's just rubbish. It's not part of NZ's game at the moment and we seem to get along ok without it.

I know plenty of cricket fans from all countries and most of them are not comfortable with the level of Aussie sledging. Most Aussies I know, included. But, as I said, maybe it's a generation thing. I mean, internet forums are a hive of abuse and trolling. Maybe the people comfortable doing that are comfortable with the sledging the Aussies dish out.

• Upvote 1

England are better than the Windies, whatever result that last series threw up. I don't think this series will be much of an indicator at all.

I'd like to see the Windies win, mind.

As for that sort of shit being 'part of the game'. That's just rubbish. It's not part of NZ's game at the moment and we seem to get along ok without it.

It isn't rubbish. It's a fact, not an opinion.

Whether it's right or wrong is another matter entirely.

And NZ don't represent a significant enough sample of the game.

Yes, you are get along well without it. Good for you.

It isn't rubbish. It's a fact, not an opinion.

Whether it's right or wrong is another matter entirely.

And NZ don't represent a significant enough sample of the game.

Yes, you are get along well without it. Good for you.

Thanks.

And, equally, if you find it an appealing or necessary part of the game, good for you.

Happy to disagree.

Thanks.

And, equally, if you find it an appealing or necessary part of the game, good for you.

Happy to disagree.

Mate, just to be clear, my very first utterance on the subject (which you conveniently left out when quoting me two posts back) was:

"I often haven't liked the way our players have carried on over the years..."

I never said it was either appealing or necessary, just part of the game.

By the way, is cricket another of the sports in which you have a "casual interest"?

If so, this conversation could go on for 5 thousand posts.

In which case, Major, good day to you.

Mate, just to be clear, my very first utterance on the subject (which you conveniently left out when quoting me two posts back) was:

"I often haven't liked the way our players have carried on over the years..."

I never said it was either appealing or necessary, just part of the game.

By the way, is cricket another of the sports in which you have a "casual interest"?

If so, this conversation could go on for 5 thousand posts.

In which case, Major, good day to you.

Twit.

I should know better than to discuss cricket with football fans!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And yes, you usually know better.

I'll leave that for you to decide.

But I definitely should know better than to discuss cricket on a football forum. Of course sledging is going to be enjoyed by football fans. Sledging is all they know!

Congrats on having your work published. Genuinely. Doesn't make your opinion any more valid, mind.