Quantcast
New Suarez comments - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
bouncebrigade

New Suarez comments

Anyone have any idea what this means?

Especially "I called him something that his own Manchester United players call him."

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has broken his silence over the Patrice Evra race row to deny allegations he verbally abused the Manchester United defender.

Evra alleged the Uruguay international repeatedly made racist comments about him during the 1-1 draw at Anfield last month.

Liverpool immediately issued a statement on Suarez's behalf insisting the player vigorously denied such claims, and now the striker has spoken out.

The Football Association have talked to both players and their investigation is ongoing.

"The FA will have to clear it up with him, because there is no proof at all that I have said anything racist," Suarez told Uruguayan newspaper El Pais.

"I didn't say anything like that to him. There are things that happen in football, all in the moment,

that leaves one feeling bad.

"Now we have to wait to see this issue decided and then the Manchester player and I will have to clear things up.

"Depending on who ends up in the wrong, one of us will have to apologise.

"There were two sides of our discussion, one in Spanish and one in English. I didn't insult him, it was just my way of expressing myself.

"I called him something that his own Manchester United players call him. Furthermore, even they were surprised at his reaction on the pitch."

The Football Association have said they have nothing further to add at this stage and will not comment on Suarez's remarks.

"I called him something that his own Manchester United players call him"

What is Suarez on about, and how would he know?

Very odd statement indeed.

What I don't understand is why he doesn't just come out and say what he called him, if it isn't offensive.

Unless he's been told not too while the investigation is ongoing ofcourse. That, coupled with the language barrier, could explain this rather cryptic description of what was said.

Very odd statement indeed.

My guess would be "cunt". Which in Suarez' Spanish probably came out as "cunto". Which Evra chose to hear as "Kunta Kinte" as the evident effects of his period kicked in.

"Cheese eating surrender monkey"? He is French ...

Apparently he called him “negro" which is “mate” when used as a colloquialism in Spanish. Evra speaks Spanish so he was talking to/having a go at him in that language. Not sure if that's true, but that's the rumour on t'internet.

Seems entirely plausible in one way, but also entirely laughable in another.

Apparently he called him “negro" which is “mate” when used as a colloquialism in Spanish.

Not in Spanish per se, but Evra should definitely have had a quick look on wikipedia.

"However, in Spanish-speaking countries such as Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay where there are few people of African origin and appearance, negro (negra for females) is commonly used to refer to partners, close friends or people in general independent of skin color."

Negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry but I cannot believe he called him a Negro, nor do I believe he said anything of that nature.

Because why the hell would Kenny be so utterly determined to get Evra reprimanded if he knew that Suarez's defence was on the basis of misunderstanding? Because if that is Suarez's defence, Evra cannot really be labelled a "liar" or the "boy who cries wolf" - because it is extremely understandable as to why he would find "Negro" offensive, despite its different interpretations.

Furthermore, Evra's team-mates were "surprised with his reaction" - I highly doubt that Rio Ferdinand, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young, Nani and/or any other of the black players, who undoubtedly heard, would have a) been surprised with Evra's reactions or b) not taken offence themselves due to their poor grasp of Spanish/South American linguistics.

No, Suarez must have called him something a lot more innocuous (that is if he actually has made this statement) and it must be so obviously not racist (factually, not interpretably) that it made Kenny throw his hat into the ring and his balls on the line with his statements.

If he has called him a Negro, nothing that has played out so far makes any sense.