Quantcast
Westerns - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

The Clint thread has pushed me into buying some more westerns.

I only just starting to watch them so have not seen that many.

I have seen

Fist full of dollars

Few dollars more

Good the bad and the Ugly

Hang em High

Once upon a time in the West

Both versions of True Grit

The new version of 3:10 Yuma

Anyone suggest anymore

Yes, certainly.

Firstly, You need to watch Eastwood's "Unforgiven" as it's probably one of the best films ever made.

And I would also recommend:

Open Range

The Proposition

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Tombstone (Val Kilmer is quite fantastic as Doc Holliday)

The Wild Bunch

Forgot to add Tombstone to my list,loved that.

I have Unforgiven but have not got round to seeing it yet.

Thanks for the others

Miller and Mrs Mccabe is on this week sometime, great film. As Silverlining said, Wild Bunch is brilliant, especially the finale.

Bad Company with Jeff Bridges is brilliant )Bad Company (1972) - IMDb),

I like the 70's Westerns, The Assination of Jesse James is brilliant, similar atmosphere.

I would add My Darling Clementime, the original with Henry Fonda (better than Tombstone).

Best pre-spaghetti western is The Searchers - classic.

It is isn't it?

Slightly racist mind, but a really brilliant film. Especially the scene in the valley.

Stagecoach (John Ford in general)

High Noon

The Ox-Bow Incident

Dead Man

And the Bud Spencer/Terrence Hill ones for a larf, for example the Trinity ones

It is isn't it?

Slightly racist mind, but a really brilliant film. Especially the scene in the valley.

So many great scenes. Struggling through the snow, the wedding fight, Mose on his rocking chair, Wayne walking out of the cabin at the end. Just a great film.

Interesting sidenote, that on the making of My Darling Clementime, Wyatt Earp was actually on set during filming!

Rich Hall did a documentary on Western's, it usually appears on BBC4 from time to time, it is really worth a look.

Not really a Western aficionado but The Proposition is a fantastic film Lee, brutal at times and with a nice twist on the genre what with it being set in Australia.

So many great scenes. Struggling through the snow, the wedding fight, Mose on his rocking chair, Wayne walking out of the cabin at the end. Just a great film.

Don't know why but I well up watching that film, and normally i can't stand John Wayne films, maybe its because he isn't carrying that film on his tod. There's great performances all round. I've got most of those films mentioned earlier on dvd and I wouldn't call myself a big western fan!

The Culpepper Cattle Company is the best Western ever made.

Jeremiah Johnson, Rio Bravo, The Long Riders, Dead Man, Duel in the Sun, Hombre and Lonesome Dove are all ace.

Another Eastwood western Pale Rider needs to be added to your list. Similar in theme to his earlier creation High Plains Drifter but still a classic. Also The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman i found to be extremely good

Anything and everything with Mr Eastwood in it mate. Can't go wrong.

Didn't see anybody mention The Outlaw Josey Wales. Fucking magnificent film that.

I also loved The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford. Casey Affleck was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor Oscar by Heath Ledger's Joker. Nobody can ever convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestions,get paid Thursday so I'll stick a order in for a few and watch the ones I have.