You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My two daughters 6 & 4 came home asking for money as they had some military in the school for poppies. I wondered how much they knew of the reason why people wore poppies and was encouraged by the school that they had taken time and effort into organising the assembly.

Both my daughters told me that the soldier guy was selling poppies so that the money raised can go towards new bunk beds in their barracks.

Fuck that I said and sat them down and explained. I took them into town and bought two poppies from an ex serviceman.

I've never worn a poppy in my adult life because I don't feel the need to show my donations on my clothing. Every year I slip a poppy seller £10 note and be done with it.

But I'm not having people actively selling poppies like that to kids in schools that don't know any better. Educate them regarding the history properly.

Are the army allowed to raise money from the public for equipment? Sounds a bit strange

My two daughters 6 & 4 came home asking for money as they had some military in the school for poppies. I wondered how much they knew of the reason why people wore poppies and was encouraged by the school that they had taken time and effort into organising the assembly.

Both my daughters told me that the soldier guy was selling poppies so that the money raised can go towards new bunk beds in their barracks.

Fuck that I said and sat them down and explained. I took them into town and bought two poppies from an ex serviceman.

I've never worn a poppy in my adult life because I don't feel the need to show my donations on my clothing. Every year I slip a poppy seller £10 note and be done with it.

But I'm not having people actively selling poppies like that to kids in schools that don't know any better. Educate them regarding the history properly.

New bunk beds in the barracks? How about making some themselves if they are so sorely needed.

This is taking the piss.

Quite disgusted by the reporting of Corbyns bow not being deep enough. The mainstream media is the enemy of truth and reason. Using that day and his dignified show of respect as an attempt to character assassinate him, it's disgusting. Our press clearly don't believe in democracy they want a line towed and god help any who threaten it even slightly.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Does Colin Kaepernick wear a poppy?

Remembrance Day is really justvge kick off for the annual like and share if you want to be able to say Merry Christmas and inevitable stories of schools saying Happy Holidays instead.

My idea at work to put a Festivus Pole ( loads around the back as they make good bus stops) was nixed. Might file a human rughts complaint or challenge my supervisor to a Feats of Strength challenge.

Guest Pistonbroke

I've not worn one since leaving the forces in 1990. (We were made to wear one). 

It's not that I'm being disrespectful, I'd just rather pay my respects quietly and without the 'Look at me' attitude many do it for. I've been pulled up about it a fair few times, repeat the sentence I've just typed and then look at the dumbfounded faces who haven't got a comeback. 

On a side note. I see the German national team have agreed to wear black armbands on Friday with a poppy on them. If the tables were turned do we seriously think this gesture would be reciprocated? I wonder how long it will take for the certain cunts in the England crowd to burst into a rendition of Dam Busters or you can shove Europe up your arse. The irony will be lost on them like, being as they are wearing Poppies for those fallen soldiers who fought for peace in Europe and in doing so gave their lives. 

Ot wore one in a few years. Once the last of the WW2 generation(i mean those old enough to fight not the moody old cunts that act like they do. But just got a great life out of the post war changes of housing,NHS,pensions etc then sold the rest of us down river after they got theirs,Tory cunts) die ill not stick in amy money either.

Man who spent all year mocking ‘virtue signallers’ pretty keen for you to notice his massive poppy

November 4, 2017

Written by Rich Smith

The need to publicly signal your virtues through ostentatious displays of support for ideas you think have value is nothing but a liberal cancer, according to the guy in the pub desperate for you to acknowledge his over-sized poppy.

Dave Williams, 48, has spent most of the year telling people that liberal virtue signallers are responsible for most of society’s ills, and that this ‘sickness’ has led to the erosion of societal values such as free speech and being able to blame immigrants for stuff.

However, he insists that his massive poppy is not a signal of his virtues, and is, in fact, something very different.

He told other regulars in the pub, “Virtue signallers do what they do so people will recognise their very visible gesture and think they’re a better person because of it, whereas I’m wearing this only very slightly over-sized poppy for me, and I don’t care if anyone sees it or not.

The fact that I’m wearing it here in the pub where everyone can see it is nothing but a coincidence.”

“You know what, I might not even wear it on Remembrance Day, because this poppy is for me and it’s my personal tribute, not so other people can see it.

“No it isn’t, shut up.”

Williams went on to deny accusations that it wasn’t ‘virtue signalling’ that he particularly disliked, but rather the liberal values being promoted by said virtue-signallers.

He concluded, “No, you’re wrong, wearing a poppy clearly isn’t virtue signalling, and the fact that it represents something I actually agree with is completely coincidental.”

• Upvote 1