You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:20 PM, sir roger said:

The older members of my mum's family were very much against the poppy appeal organisers based on the way they treated my grandad when he asked for some help after falling on hard times after WW2. 

I donate each year , but as others on here have stated there is a distinctive ' wear a poppy or you are a c*** ' vibe taking hold over the past few years.

when there were massive numbers of people who were still alive who had served, any authority, particularly the state- didn't give a flying fuck because of the costs that might have been involved in giving many some much needed and deserved dignity. that's the level of respect given when it might have caused a problem. virtually zero.

now can be used as a grandstanding exercise by some very nasty and opportunist individuals for all sorts of nefarious reasons. can't be bothered to discuss them, because they are not worth the analysis and are not worth anything compared to those old boys and women.

it was always a quiet respect thing when i grew up and that's how I observe it now. there wasn't a big long fanfare before it happened- it crept up and there you were having the minute silence before playing a match on the Sunday. can't even remember having any sort of conversation with my POW Grandad, because that's the way he was and the way he liked it. like many others. no fuss.

'the sadness will go on'

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

They've started putting poppies on all the lampposts around south Derby and Derbyshire. First this has happened that I can think but one old fella didn't seem best pleased about it.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/councillors-shocked-pensioner-protest-against-2145724#comments-section

The Poppy Police are in full swing in the comments section. One or two measured comments about democracy and freedom of speech, but as usual they’ve been given short shrift.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, skend04 said:

They've started putting poppies on all the lampposts around south Derby and Derbyshire. First this has happened that I can think but one old fella didn't seem best pleased about it.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/councillors-shocked-pensioner-protest-against-2145724#comments-section

I'm not sure about the "don't give a damn comments" but otherwise good on him. It's getting like the States, next thing it will be standing for the anthem and saluting the flag.

Our village has put poppies on the lampposts showing the name of a soldier who died in WW1. In the Memorial Park there’s a biography of everyone who died from Marple, it’s very sobering as they are usually kids.  The extra focus is obviously because it’s 100 years since the end of WW1. It’ll probably go back to normal next year.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Our village has put poppies on the lampposts showing the name of a soldier who died in WW1. In the Memorial Park there’s a biography of everyone who died from Marple, it’s very sobering as they are usually kids.  The extra focus is obviously because it’s 100 years since the end of WW1. It’ll probably go back to normal next year.  

I’m in the station now and there’s also a display about consciousness objectors and how they viewed the war. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Spelling aside, that's good to read that. I like it when more complete versions of history get told.

Would be interesting to hear a few stories about how those 'deserters' were treated too. How many were killed by their own side for trivial reasons? Its why I liked Breaker Morant,although it applied to the Boer War instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of people on Facebook have been posting purple poppies in the last few days, in memory of Speckled Jim and all the other animals killed in war.

What the actual fuck?  Imagine trying to wear a badge in memory of all the animals killed in abbatoirs.  You would, quite rightly, be laughed at, loud and long.  So what's the fucking difference?

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Loads of people on Facebook have been posting purple poppies in the last few days, in memory of Speckled Jim and all the other animals killed in war.

What the actual fuck?  Imagine trying to wear a badge in memory of all the animals killed in abbatoirs.  You would, quite rightly, be laughed at, loud and long.  So what's the fucking difference?

Are you in favour of the flanders pigeon murderer then

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think its for the horses. I agree, load of old arse and faux look at me bollocks. But, a load of beautiful horses did die over there. I guess they deserve a minute. If you have ever spent a moment with a horse you would agree. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think its for the horses. I agree, load of old arse and faux look at me bollocks. But, a load of beautiful horses did die over there. I guess they deserve a minute. If you have ever spent a moment with a horse you would agree. 

You know what they say about sailors - a mare in every stable.