You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't pay attention to morons on Twitter of Facebook, so I don't know, nor do I particularly want to know. I can only judge an article on its inherent merits.

What about the morons who write newspaper headlines or the morons who march on the streets of our towns and cities?

You can't have missed the widespread promotion of a narrative (which serves the racist message of twats like Anjem Choudary as much as it serves the likes of the EDL and BF) that Islam is incompatible with "British values". There is no comparable narrative about Hinduism, Sikhism - or Toryism. And it's a narrative that always hits a peak at this time of year. That's why there's a specific need for a project, like that described in the article, to restore the true history of Muslim veterans.

This isn't hard to understand.

Whist I have respect for the dead troops in the two World Wars and the lads who have died since it makes my blood boil seeing lords, royalty and politicians all standing with their heads bowed in somber tribute.

Stop fucking sending them to die then.

WW2 was a valiant defense against fascism but since our troops have been nothing short of mercenaries protecting the interest of global power and finance not in the defense of peace and justice. That's not criticising the troops but they are being used often illegally. 

There have been exceptions of course but if one of my kids had been killed in Iraq or Afghanistan and I see Blair and the like standing teary eyed next to the cenotaph I would want him in the dock for murder.  

• Upvote 2

Whist I have respect for the dead troops in the two World Wars and the lads who have died since it makes my blood boil seeing lords, royalty and politicians all standing with their heads bowed in somber tribute.

Stop fucking sending them to die then.

Amen to that.

Also, the reason charities like the Royal British Legion and Help for Heroes exist is that those same politicians refuse to honour their debt and their duty of care to veterans. They refuse to try to collect taxes from the richest individuals and corporations, then they pretend we can't afford housing, healthcare, disability support services, social care, decent paying jobs, re-training schemes, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, mental health services, etc.

• Upvote 1

What about the morons who write newspaper headlines or the morons who march on the streets of our towns and cities?

You can't have missed the widespread promotion of a narrative (which serves the racist message of twats like Anjem Choudary as much as it serves the likes of the EDL and BF) that Islam is incompatible with "British values". There is no comparable narrative about Hinduism, Sikhism - or Toryism. And it's a narrative that always hits a peak at this time of year. That's why there's a specific need for a project, like that described in the article, to restore the true history of Muslim veterans.

This isn't hard to understand.

I don't do identity politics. I'll let you and the nutters on the other side play those silly games; meanwhile I will respect the sacrifices made by all people, without trying to divide them along arbitrary lines.

• Upvote 1

I don't pay attention to morons on Twitter of Facebook, so I don't know, nor do I particularly want to know. I can only judge an article on its inherent merits.

I know I specified Facebook and Twitter, but I meant "within British public discourse".  It's just a way of gauging widely held views.  It's also discussed on Radio 4's Today programme, of course.

I don't do identity politics. I'll let you and the nutters on the other side play those silly games; meanwhile I will respect the sacrifices made by all people, without trying to divide them along arbitrary lines.

I'm very happy for you that you don't "do identity politics". The trouble is, lots of people do and lots of British Muslims get abused and assaulted as a result. That article was about some people who give enough of a shit to try to stop that. While I realise it might be safe and cosy in your little bubble of denial, I think those people have chosen a more honourable path.

First year for a long time not bought a poppy

Don't need a bunch of jingoistic Brexit head bangers telling me where my moral compass lies traitor that I am,

I had parents and relatives that put their lives on the line ofr this country in WWII and they would have despised the way these nationalistic cunts have hi-jacked rememberence

First year for a long time not bought a poppy

Don't need a bunch of jingoistic Brexit head bangers telling me where my moral compass lies traitor that I am,

I had parents and relatives that put their lives on the line ofr this country in WWII and they would have despised the way these nationalistic cunts have hi-jacked rememberence

Out of curiosity, do you encounter these type of people in 'real life', or just on social media? Years ago, people chose to either wear or not wear a poppy and that was that. It wasn't really discussed and a fuss wasn't made.

• Upvote 1

It all feels a little bit fascist now, it's so overdone.

The wife and kids get poppies, I put a few quid in the collection tin, but it all feels a bit jingoistic to me now.

I respect the work the RBL do, but I hope there will come a day that we evolve as a species enough to not require such organisations to exist anymore!

I remember the fallen from all wars on all sides. I don't wear a poppy. I'm ex forces and still find the whole thing repulsive. War is hell.

A mate of mine is ex-REME and did a 6 month tour in Bosnia while he was in, and he thinks the same as you, finds it all repulsive. Now a peace campaigner and prospective green party counsellor.

I find such attitudes rare and refreshing!

Out of curiosity, do you encounter these type of people in 'real life', or just on social media? Years ago, people chose to either wear or not wear a poppy and that was that. It wasn't really discussed and a fuss wasn't made.

I haven't been accosted in the street for not wearing a poppy but they are all over the twattersphere,  You have to wonder whether this is deliberately coordinated to whip up support for Brexit by conflating it all as patriotism. 

• Upvote 1

A mate of mine is ex-REME and did a 6 month tour in Bosnia while he was in, and he thinks the same as you, finds it all repulsive. Now a peace campaigner and prospective green party counsellor.

I find such attitudes rare and refreshing!

Thanks bro