You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I see there are videos out there of women in head scarves nicking poppy appeal collection tins from shop counters. Might be worth avoiding Facebook for a few days if you typically encounter the kind of people who will go into a frothing rage over a story like this, catnip for racists.

I see there are videos out there of women in head scarves nicking poppy appeal collection tins from shop counters. Might be worth avoiding Facebook for a few days if you typically encounter the kind of people who will go into a frothing rage over a story like this, catnip for racists.

*judder*

An impending prison sentence will unite them.

• 10 months later...

The way I view rememberence Sunday is simple. It’s a chance to pay respects to a shitload of people who gave their lives, minds, or parts of their bodies so that I could live in a democracy.  

I have no problem respecting a minute silence. I have massive problems with gobshites trying to force feed me poppies because ‘wivout one you isn’t showing the proper respect.’

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

It's about that time of year again...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/10/10/fears-glorification-war-sees-cambridge-university-students-reject/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Cambridge University students vote against Remembrance Sunday motion over fears it 'glorifies' war

That, as much as I can actually access, is ridiculous.  But, sadly, they are right at least in that the insistence that Armistice day must be treated as a Veteran's day is counter to what it should be about. 

I am not honouring people who choose to serve the country (although I do believe that also has a place in society), I am remembering the hundreds of thousands who were forced to throw their lives away in the World Wars.  We can all pontificate about the noble sacrifice or how ultimately they were driven by the greed or incompetence of an entitled few, but any way you cut it, it still ultimately resonates as an almighty tragedy.  One that should not be diluted for the sakes of modern agendas. 

I will absolutely mark this centenary year, back home.  With a poppy on my chest, as a symbol of loss and the promised peace which is regularly broken.  But I don't think I can support an appeal which zealously claims ownership of the cultural devastation of the Somme going forwards.

The older members of my mum's family were very much against the poppy appeal organisers based on the way they treated my grandad when he asked for some help after falling on hard times after WW2. 

I donate each year , but as others on here have stated there is a distinctive ' wear a poppy or you are a c*** ' vibe taking hold over the past few years.

The fact that the legion has links and allows public sponserships from major arms companies means im out. 

So they take money from Lockhead and BAE, the same companies that profit from and make the weapons that cripple and maim the men the men they are supposed to help. 

Its makes no sense at all

The push from the right to go full on yank and "respect our troops,protecting our freedoms, thanks for your service" etc is pure bollocks. There has not been a war to protect freedoms since 1945. And the numbers of actually numbers of those guys left gets smaller every year. Im all on board supporting them but the Iraq,Falklands shits sits squarely on the shoulders of the government who should be helping them

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...