You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things to do in Middlesbrough when the future Mrs S, thankfully, isn't dead?

brucespanner

I live not far from 'Boro and it's sound. The horror stories are a load of bullshit, I mean i'm from Huyton for fucks sake!

With regards things to do, Yarm is good for a pint and has some nice restaurants too.

If you like a bit of culture there's a village called Great Ayton where Captain Cook was born; some good little places there and it's lovely, not sure about winter time though, I usually go there in the summer.

It's the same as anywhere really with the usual leisure options.

You anywhere near Loftus in East Cleveland Brownie???

I'm far from anything of an expert but isnt this maybe a stage of recovery that could very well pass on her way to getting better and just a short term thing?

Possible, but far from certain! Because of the damage the brain has to find new pathways, synapses and whatnot, these, hopefully , will fix themselves and everything will get back to 'normal', but in some cases they never recover and the old self will be replaced by a new self which has no empathy about what has gone before.

I hope to god this is a setback and not permanent!

We've gone from the most horribly loved up couple in the northern hemisphere to virtual strangers, she seems to be pushing me away more and more by the day. I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems common, but the frontal lobe controls empathy and emotions and they're not firing right and she's marginalising me more and more.

Any help would be appreciated, I can't find anything positive on the internet.

Love and hugs any good?

This sounds horrible. Your feelings for this girl came across so strongly..to this..and the 'not knowing.' I hope you have some good people to help you through this.

Just had a thought..have you had anything to do with Headway..as the name suggests, this is their line of work....

Love and hugs any good?

This sounds horrible. Your feelings for this girl came across so strongly..to this..and the 'not knowing.' I hope you have some good people to help you through this.

Just had a thought..have you had anything to do with Headway..as the name suggests, this is their line of work....

Cheers Champ.

Yeah Headway are involved and only provide examples, with this type of injury there are no certainties.

She really is my reason for being as soppy as it sounds, we were the most spastically in love couple and it's been taken away by a fucking horse riding accident! Fucksake!!!

I'm going to leave this thread alone for a while because I'm close to breaking.

Peace, love and happiness people x x x

The kind words and advice a truly appreciated!

Has anybody experienced frontal lobe injuries? Seriously at my wits end now.

I've just had a call from the social worker telling me that Kim doesn't want to see me for the time being, apparently it's quite common, but I'm in fucking pieces!

We've gone from the most horribly loved up couple in the northern hemisphere to virtual strangers, she seems to be pushing me away more and more by the day. I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems common, but the frontal lobe controls empathy and emotions and they're not firing right and she's marginalising me more and more.

Various case studies say that certain behaviors 'change' and I prepared myself for that, but I hadn't reckoned on being cast aside by the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with, raise a family with and be happy with, these were what we talked about constantly, the future, our future!

Any help would be appreciated, I can't find anything positive on the internet.

That's terrible, and I'm really sorry to hear that mate. Nothing more I can say really.

A total shit-hole.

I've driven through there a few times and it looks alright but obviously you need to spend some time in places to know what they're really like!

One thing that is apparent to me is that the places up here that are described as 'shit-holes', actually look okay whereas the shit-holes back at home look really bad. It's weird.

My bird's from Guisborough which is a nice place to be fair.

EDIT - Aploogies for hijacking brucespanners thread by the way; sorry to hear what's happened mate and really hope that your gf recovers. Hang in there.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

How did this work out in the end mate?

I still live up here and I still much prefer it to living in Huyton.

It makes me laugh when everyone on the election thread goes on about how much they care about working people etc but then you read some of the horrible things they say about them and where they live.

Tory Britain.

23 minutes ago, Brownie said:

How did this work out in the end mate?

I still live up here and I still much prefer it to living in Huyton.

It makes me laugh when everyone on the election thread goes on about how much they care about working people etc but then you read some of the horrible things they say about them and where they live.

Tory Britain.

I read it more as criticising the kind of plebs who can't be arsed to work , eat shit chippy food every day smoke themselves to death etc . Your average Jeremy Kyle type folk , rather than attack on working class people living in a tough city. Could be wrong though . 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I read it more as criticising the kind of plebs who can't be arsed to work , eat shit chippy food every day smoke themselves to death etc . Your average Jeremy Kyle type folk , rather than attack on working class people living in a tough city. Could be wrong though . 

So, what, judge a whole town based on about 1% of the population of the country?

Not for me.

I’m not preaching btw because i’ve been guilty of it myself in the past until I realised what was happening.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

So, what, judge a whole town based on about 1% of the population of the country?

Not for me.

I’m not preaching btw because i’ve been guilty of it myself in the past until I realised what was happening.

It was a Catch 22 situation in Middlesborough,similar to here in Runcorn. The chemical works were causing no end of health problems but keeping the town's economy ticking over. The downscaling or closing of them has ripped the arse out of the places with little option in between.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

• Upvote 2

On 07/12/2011 at 12:55, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Move to Leeds, er no thanks, watching Heartbeat is fucking bad enough let alone living on the set.

Negged. I loved Heartbeat. Alf Ventress is one of my all-time heroes. It was set in Goathland, a lovely little village in North Yorkshire. There’s nothing to do there, like, but it’s still boss.

0510C08A-D22F-47B6-B1F0-BA0CFAE3348C.jpeg

I went to work a couple of times at a place called Seal Sands, just away from Middlesbrough. I just remember getting out of the car and struggling to breathe, the air quality was spectacularly bad....having spent 23 years living in Runcorn I should have been better acclimatised I guess......never got into Middlesbrough itself. Since then Ive spent 18 years living downwind of Stanlow, which is similar in many ways...

• 2 years later...