You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The term "Student Mentality"

Carradona

In what context was it said during your last interview? Context is everything.

It was sort of like a test day, where they took us around the job and marked us on three things:

1. Student Mentality
  2. Attitude
  3. Work Ethic

I know the whole point of an interview is to try and make yourself seem so much better than everyone else, but that is sometimes the one thing I struggle with. Questions like this annoy me:

• why do you think you would be better for this job than the person sitting outside?
  • What qualities do you have that make you better than the person sitting outside?
  • What qualities do you think you will need to succeed in this type of job (office job)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was sort of like a test day, where they took us around the job and marked us on three things:

1. Student Mentality
  2. Attitude
  3. Work Ethic

I know the whole point of an interview is to try and make yourself seem so much better than everyone else, but that is sometimes the one thing I struggle with. Questions like this annoy me:

• why do you think you would be better for this job than the person sitting outside?
  • What qualities do you have that make you better than the person sitting outside?
  • What qualities do you think you will need to succeed in this type of job (office job)?

What job was it? That's a baffing thing to mark someone on. Did they give you feedback?

What job was it? That's a baffing thing to mark someone on. Did they give you feedback?

The advertised position was to be a "business to business" marketing team member. Turned out that it was a glorified charity fundraiser. They offered me the job, but I turned it down as it was 100% commission based.

The one tomorrow is a trainee office job at a solicitors.

The advertised position was to be a "business to business" marketing team member. Turned out that it was a glorified charity fundraiser. They offered me the job, but I turned it down as it was 100% commission based.

* shudder

Was it those annoying cunts that harangue you when you're walking down the street? In that case they were probably looking for a 'student mentality', as they seem to be after that 'look' from what I've seen. Well done for fucking it off, best of look with the law job. It's a shame nobody on here can box you off with something, hint hint.

* shudder

Was it those annoying cunts that harangue you when you're walking down the street? In that case they were probably looking for a 'student mentality', as they seem to be after that 'look' from what I've seen. Well done for fucking it off, best of look with the law job. It's a shame nobody on here can box you off with something, hint hint.

Chuggers they're known as. They rent an office in my building. They hold 100 + interviews every week. Out of those they're lucky if they keep two. You would not believe some of the fucking dead heads they interview. Here's a typical interviewee.

Random twat : Hello I've got an interview here today.

Me : Who with ? There's ove 70 different businesses in this building.

Random twat : Errrm, I don't know.

Me : You've come for an interview and you don't know who it's with ?

Random twat : Errm, no I just got told to come here.

Me : They didn't give you the name of the company or the number of the office or a contact number ?

Random twat : Errrm yes but I forgot.

Me : What's the job your being interviewed for ?

Random twat : Errrm, I'm not sure.

Hard to believe but this is what happens.

Interviews are such a ballache, partly the reason I am still in my current role, just the thought of going for another job and the hassle of an interview puts me off.

'Why do you want this job?'

'To pay for ale and trips with the lads'

On the subject of student mentality, as Section said, it is all about the context in which you use it. It most definitely has negative connotations unless of course it is a job that entails dealing with students or young people. In my interview for my current role I was able to draw upon university experience and my understanding of the 'student mentality' because of the nature of the role.

What are your weaknesses?

I'm prone to violence

Seriously the worst most cliched shit interview question ever.

"My weakness is that I find it hard to get past the fact that you have asked me that question, being the horrendous interview cliche that it is, meaning that either a) you have got your questions on rote from some HR department idiot who sees people as meat units to serve the company machine and doesn't understand the fact that every single other sentient being in the known universe loathes or at best pities their miserable existence, or b) you have a massive lack of imagination and most probably intelligence which would make working for you for a year or two come to make me dread getting out of bed dragging my arse into the office and seeing your dribbling countentance. However I need the money and reckon I can put up with the corporate shit for a while as I intend to do as little as possible to get by. Have I got the job?"

Chuggers they're known as. They rent an office in my building. They hold 100 + interviews every week. Out of those they're lucky if they keep two. You would not believe some of the fucking dead heads they interview. Here's a typical interviewee.

Random twat : Hello I've got an interview here today.

Me : Who with ? There's ove 70 different businesses in this building.

Random twat : Errrm' date=' I don't know.

Me : You've come for an interview and you don't know who it's with ?

Random twat : Errm, no I just got told to come here.

Me : They didn't give you the name of the company or the number of the office or a contact number ?

Random twat : Errrm yes but I forgot.

Me : What's the job your being interviewed for ?

Random twat : Errrm, I'm not sure.

Hard to believe but this is what happens.[/quote']

That is hilarious, how do you keep a straight face, I'd burst out laughing.

What are your weaknesses?

I'm antagonistic to the idea of being robbed, exploited, degraded, humiliated or deceived. Misery depresses me. Ignorance depresses me. Persecution depresses me. Violence depresses me… You know, it wouldn’t surprise me if I'm a maniac-depressive.

Didn't get the job as they gave it to their mates child. Damn!

How did you find this out? The last job I went for and was rejected for I never found out who got the job, they were just better than me.

If they were the best person for the job then that would be fine, however if it is a case of them going through the interviews with their minds already made up and going through the motionsm then that is a bit naughty.