You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stuart Downing - what exactly is he?

Xherdan

All we do on here is slag our players off, even when we win, it's quite baffling.

We are the anti-RAWK.

It's something I have noticed this season more than ever though. It's almost like many haven't realised just how fucking fortunate we are compared to the alternative that nearly materialised last season.

Personally I'm very much enjoying it this season whereas for most of the last two seasons it was pure torture being a Liverpool fan.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SpiderLucas
He was a LOT better than this for Villa last year. I get that you don't like him and he would not have been my first choice signing either, but why completely make shit up?

It won't make people agree with you or think you're clever, it just looks like you're being a tool.

Okay then dick head, let’s break it down.

Premier League Stats

Middlesbrough

Season 2003/2004 – 14 apps – 0 goals & 1 assist.

Season 2004/2005 – 28 apps – 5 goals & 11 assists. (Great season followed by…)

Season 2005/2006 – 11 apps – 1 goal & 2 assists.

Season 2006/2007 – 34 apps – 2 goals & 5 assists.

Season 2007/2008 – 38 apps – 9 goals & 5 assists. (Great season followed by….)

Season 2008/2009 – 37 apps – 0 goals & 2 assists.

Aston Villa

Season 2009/2010 – 24 apps – 2 goals & 1 assist.

Season 2010/2011 – 38 apps – 7 goals & 7 assists. (Good season followed by…)

Liverpool

Season 2011/2012 - 10 apps – 0 goals & 0 assists.

He has form for having one good season followed by some utter shit ones, for £20 million I don’t think I want to wait a few years for him to get his fucking arse in gear. It’s not like he’s a kid he’s 27 years old.

Mr Average or Mr Inconsistent take your pick.

Guest SpiderLucas
How does that break it down exactly? He could've had a couple of assists against Man Utd but we didn't convert. Is that his fault? You badly seem to be making it out like it is.

And we could be top of the league if we had won all our games, but we didn’t so we aren’t. The problem with most fans now a day is Ifs BUTs and MAYBEs. Those are the stats and the stats don’t lie. Good season followed by bad seasons, because he’s an average/inconsistent player.

And we could be top of the league if we had won all our games, but we didn’t so we aren’t. The problem with most fans now a day is Ifs BUTs and MAYBEs. Those are the stats and the stats don’t lie. Good season followed by bad seasons, because he’s an average/inconsistent player.

No, what stats do is allow people to form an opinion without having to bother their arse to actually watch the player. Just like you've done there.

My post had no ifs or buts on Downing himself so that part of your post doesn't make much sense in all honesty. Assists tell you who had the last touch before someone scored, not who creates stuff or who did the most before a goal. So it doesn't have any basis on whether he's playing well or not.

Of course stats lie, or rather they present a badly incomplete picture. Looking at goals scored and assists really tells you little about a player unless he is a forward.

For instance many of the years that you have down as bad ones he was playing in central midfield a lot. I am hoping you would not judge a player like Alonso on goals and assists!

There is an expression: lies, damned lies and statistics. I hope you don't think it means stats are the truth!

I'm afraid I'm with SpiderLucas on this one.

Downing is like Joe Cole. He should have pinned down that england spot years ago. He has it all going for him. He hasn't. Why? Whatever that why is, it is the reason he is under-performing now and hasn't kicked on. He was supposed to get better with better players around him, with players like Carroll who suit his natural game. Instead he's regressing.

He needs to mature very rapidly or his career will go the way cole's has. Kenny will give him time and encouragement, but if he doesn't start becoming a factor in games pretty soon now, he will basically be dropping himself in favour of Maxi or Bellamy.

Downing is like Joe Cole. He should have pinned down that england spot years ago. He has it all going for him. He hasn't. Why? Whatever that why is, it is the reason he is under-performing now and hasn't kicked on. He was supposed to get better with better players around him, with players like Carroll who suit his natural game. Instead he's regressing.

Who are you debating with with that paragraph? I really can't find anything that does.

I'm not debating anyone. It's not a competition. I'm saying I agree with someone and providing my perspective.

Who said anything about a competition?

Anyway, you stated you agreed with someone who was involved in a debate. You then expanded to give reasons why you agreed but they didn't correspond, in my opinion, to what was getting debating. Hence me asking the question.

Who said anything about a competition?

Anyway, you stated you agreed with someone who was involved in a debate. You then expanded to give reasons why you agreed but they didn't correspond, in my opinion, to what was getting debating. Hence me asking the question.

Ok. soz.

Okay then dick head, let’s break it down.

Premier League Stats

Middlesbrough

Season 2003/2004 – 14 apps – 0 goals & 1 assist.

Season 2004/2005 – 28 apps – 5 goals & 11 assists. (Great season followed by…)

Season 2005/2006 – 11 apps – 1 goal & 2 assists.

Season 2006/2007 – 34 apps – 2 goals & 5 assists.

Season 2007/2008 – 38 apps – 9 goals & 5 assists. (Great season followed by….)

Season 2008/2009 – 37 apps – 0 goals & 2 assists.

Aston Villa

Season 2009/2010 – 24 apps – 2 goals & 1 assist.

Season 2010/2011 – 38 apps – 7 goals & 7 assists. (Good season followed by…)

Liverpool

Season 2011/2012 - 10 apps – 0 goals & 0 assists.

He has form for having one good season followed by some utter shit ones, for £20 million I don’t think I want to wait a few years for him to get his fucking arse in gear. It’s not like he’s a kid he’s 27 years old.

Mr Average or Mr Inconsistent take your pick.

Last season at Boro, he handed in a transfer request in Jan and Boro got relegated. Unsurprisingly, he had a poor season.

First season at Villa he sustained a serious injury, possibly just before he joined them, I think. So, first season at a new club + serious injury and Downing fails to make an impact. What a surprise.

Second season, settled and no injury problems and he gets player of the season for them, which incidentally means far more than those fucking stats you've put up.

Foolish, foolish stat boy.

You thought you saw a pattern emerging from the stats and you've bravely tried to fashion a reason to go with it. Unlucky. Perhaps this will teach you to be more distrustful of stats in the future and to use your fucking brain and eyes a bit more. Look at the time you've wasted both yours, mine and everyone else.

Downing is settling in at a massive, massive club - way beyond anything he's ever experienced before. He could have had a couple of assists and a couple of goals but he's been a bit unlucky/shitwhatever.

He's a good player and he'll be much better for us in the future, barring injuries. He's not world class, I don't think anyone thinks that but calling him mr average is just plain old retarded and calling someone a dickhead was just uncalled for.

That's the second retarded post of yours that I've spotted recently - is this a pattern?

I think a problem is that our other option on the left, Bellamy, isn't ready for 90 min yet. He was good in the first half against Norwich, but seemed to tire in the second. I think Downing could profit from a few games on the bench, worked for Carroll and Henderson.

2003: some of it spent on loan at Sunderland. You can fuck off with using that as a stick to beat him with. He'd not even got into the first team.

2004/2005: first full season and has a stormer.

2005/2006: misses 5 months with a serious knee injury.

I don't know why I'm engaging with you, I really don't, but I'm going to stop now.

I think he's been risible. He's like the anti Suarez in terms of spark and invention. Come to think of it, I've never been impressed any time I'd seen him play in the past. We need much more, something who keeps defenders on their toes, whereas Downing has neither much pace or trickery. Still, early days and probably struggling with expectation. The expectation being "be more than average", the reality being he's exactly that.

I saw him play live for England in 2006 and watched possibly the worst performance by a winger I've ever seen. He hasn't improved much since then...

I'm not really shocked he has been shit for us and I think people were deluding themselves over him thinking he'd strike an instant partnership with Carroll. He really is poor and possibly our only summer signing I'd like to see move on. I remember NV getting a lot of stick for his opinion on Downing and I agree with him and I've not seen anything by him, ever to make me think otherwise.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see him do well but being realistic, I don't think he will. Downing is very consistent and doesn't have many poor games but he doesn't have many great games either.

Form is temporary. I won't talk about class and Downing in the same sentence though!

It is still very early days, and as I've already said in this thread, I trust Kenny very much as a man manager.

I trust Kenny very much too as a man manager, I worship the man but he has bought some stinkers before. He bought us Nicky Tanner and Jimmy Carter! My brother is a Villa fan and when Downing played for Villa and I watched them, he seemed to me to be pretty average. A typical Villa player if you like.

When we bought him for 20 million I thought we overpaid by 7 million and Villa must be very happy with that price. Villa bought him for around 12 million in 2009 and I personally don't think his 2 seasons for Villa were amazing enough to shoot his value up by 8 million pounds.

Right now after 2 months he has performed as I pretty much expected.

Guest SpiderLucas
Last season at Boro, he handed in a transfer request in Jan and Boro got relegated. Unsurprisingly, he had a poor season.

First season at Villa he sustained a serious injury, possibly just before he joined them, I think. So, first season at a new club + serious injury and Downing fails to make an impact. What a surprise.

Second season, settled and no injury problems and he gets player of the season for them, which incidentally means far more than those fucking stats you've put up.

Foolish, foolish stat boy.

You thought you saw a pattern emerging from the stats and you've bravely tried to fashion a reason to go with it. Unlucky. Perhaps this will teach you to be more distrustful of stats in the future and to use your fucking brain and eyes a bit more. Look at the time you've wasted both yours, mine and everyone else.

Downing is settling in at a massive, massive club - way beyond anything he's ever experienced before. He could have had a couple of assists and a couple of goals but he's been a bit unlucky/shitwhatever.

He's a good player and he'll be much better for us in the future, barring injuries. He's not world class, I don't think anyone thinks that but calling him mr average is just plain old retarded and calling someone a dickhead was just uncalled for.

That's the second retarded post of yours that I've spotted recently - is this a pattern?

He's still shit. Stats don't lie.