You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stuart Downing - what exactly is he?

Xherdan

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Stewart Downing seems to be lacking a lot of confidence since the Sunderland game. If he doesn't start waking up, he'll lose his place to Bellamy (who, in my opinion, works better with Enrique and should be first pick). Just needs a goal at Anfield, Kop end. Soon.

I'm sure I read that he completed more crosses than anybody in the league last season. Strange as I cant remember a single cross he might have put in for Carroll last night. He does have pace, which is a major attribute and of course the left foot guarantees balance. So far he looks no better than Riera.

I'd rather Bellamy than Maxi to be honest by some distance. Maxi had three games for us last season where he excelled. The rest of the time he was pretty average. He also has little pace and will not use the width of the pitch. Bellamy frightens the shit right out of defenders though.

They could both make a decent case for starting/being more involved based on the performances of the players who've occupied the wide roles this season. Why Bellamy hasn't already claimed a starting role I don't know. Kenny has said his attitude has been first class, so you can only assume it's because of his physical condition after games (or Kenny doesn't rate him as highly as others!)

Couldn't believe it at the time when we were linked with this guy for £20m and he has done nothing to ease my fears. Saying that, he definitely has some positive attributes, I just hope he can show them on a consistent basis.

We have spent a lot of money under Kenny, and I would like to see more of the players repaying Kenny's faith in them.

Couldn't believe it at the time when we were linked with this guy for £20m and he has done nothing to ease my fears. Saying that, he definitely has some positive attributes, I just hope he can show them on a consistent basis.

We have spent a lot of money under Kenny, and I would like to see more of the players repaying Kenny's faith in them.

Yeah, one thing I like about Downing is that he always puts a good shift in. It's always a good sign for me when a player isn't particularly playing well but continues to graft for the team.

I'm sure I read that he completed more crosses than anybody in the league last season. Strange as I cant remember a single cross he might have put in for Carroll last night. He does have pace, which is a major attribute and of course the left foot guarantees balance. So far he looks no better than Riera.

He's reminding me of Riera too. All balance and no end product. I thought he was a direct winger who crossed. So far, I've hardly seen any of that. A couple of bits and pieces near the start of the season and a brief spell againt United.

It's probably a bit about confidence too but I said before we signed him that he wasn't sure he had the character to step up to the plate and I'm still harbouring the same concerns to be honest. It's a pity though because he could be a great asset. Let's hope he can get going but so much time without any end product is bound to affect him and it's not like with Carroll or Henderson who have time on their side. He doesn't - he needs to produce pretty much now.

Probably a slightly unpopular opinion, but I'd much rather see him on the right cutting inside. Getting shots off like Johnson does for City. In Johnson/Kelly and Enrique we've got good width and decent pace out wide from the fullbacks. Henderson and Adam can also provide some service into the box when they're playing on the outside of a midfield three.

When he plays on the left he often seems to be occupying the same space as Enrique.

At least Kenny does have some faith in him, and I do trust his judgement very much.

Downing has had a few bad games, but I suspect he will justify his place in the squad over the length of his contract.

Probably a slightly unpopular opinion, but I'd much rather see him on the right cutting inside. Getting shots off like Johnson does for City. In Johnson/Kelly and Enrique we've got good width and decent pace out wide from the fullbacks. Henderson and Adam can also provide some service into the box when they're playing on the outside of a midfield three.

When he plays on the left he often seems to be occupying the same space as Enrique.

Yep, there is defnitely merit in that. Though I think it's vital when a left-footed player plays on the right - or vice versa - that he at least goes outside once or twice a game to keep his fullback guessing. Downing seems to cut in every time on that side and it's all too predictable

Yep, there is defnitely merit in that. Though I think it's vital when a left-footed player plays on the right - or vice versa - that he at least goes outside once or twice a game to keep his fullback guessing. Downing seems to cut in every time on that side and it's all too predictable

He used to at Villa, his right foot isn't terrible.

I just think long term its a better option for the style of football we want to play. Carroll is improving and showing he's not one dimensional. Against West Brom he, at times, took the ball into feet, aerially, and even ran the channels. My point, I think anyway, is that we don't need Downing to play on the left for Carroll. We don't need him just spending the entire game aiming for Carroll's head. Because he's better than that, and so is Carroll.

I think that if Downings shot against Sunderland would have gone in rather than hit the bar then he might be a different player now.

Also interesting that when he hit the post last night it was from an inside right position,which backs up Major Toms point.

I dont really mind which side Downing plays on personally as long as the opposite side player is interchangeable with him. Henderson doesnt really offer this whereas Bellamy does.

My problem with this is that I like Henderson and think hes doing a good job on the right.

I dont really mind which side Downing plays on personally as long as the opposite side player is interchangeable with him. Henderson doesnt really offer this whereas Bellamy does.

This is a very, very good and often overlooked point. When you look at City versus United this season and question why they were able to beat them 6-1, you will find a lot of mileage in noting that United's wingers stick to one side of the pitch, whereas Milner and Silva were switching and even doubling up against them, tearing their defence all over the place.

Milner and Silva were so effective v Utd because their fullbacks were so good that day, both attacking and defending. And Utd's wide players and fullbacks so poor.

Sure it's chicken and egg but when your wider players play as narrow as Milner and Silva did last Sunday, it creates space for the opposition, providing the opposition are good enough to use it of course. And Utd weren't. They were so, so poor that day.

The interchangeable point is a good one though. Particularly if the players in question are set up differently.

Milner and Silva were so effective v Utd because their fullbacks were so good that day, both attacking and defending. And Utd's wide players and fullbacks so poor.

Sure it's chicken and egg but when your wider players play as narrow as Milner and Silva did last Sunday, it creates space for the opposition, providing the opposition are good enough to use it of course. And Utd weren't. They were so, so poor that day.

I would want to have a look at their goals again before I came out with such a strong claim as that ;)

You are right that the fullbacks played their part, but for me that was a victory based on movement.