You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jimmy Savile dead

Mendoza

Now, I'm not saying he touches kids, but if you happened to watch this video, and consider him to look like the end of level boss on a video game in which you have to fight massive dirty paedophiles, then you're entitled to your opinion.

• Upvote 1

Dave Lee Travis charged with assault

15 April 2014 19:34

Dave Lee Travis will appear in court later this month

Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis has been charged with one count of indecent assault under Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard has said.

The 68-year-old is alleged to have assaulted a woman, who was over the age of 16, in January 1995.

The Crown Prosecution Service said last month it had authorised police to charge him with the alleged offence.

He already faces a retrial on charges of indecent and sexual assault after a jury was unable to agree verdicts.

Mr Travis was cleared of 12 counts of indecent assault in February but the jury could not reach a decision on the two outstanding charges.

They relate to an allegation of indecent assault against a woman in the early 1990s along with an alleged sexual assault on a journalist in 2008.

When the CPS announced on 28 March that Mr Travis would face a fresh charge, he said: "It's been a bit of a nightmare.

"And the only thing I want to say is this: The nightmare is continuing."

Scotland Yard said Mr Travis was due to appear on bail at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 24 April

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell. Must have been pretty compelling to have got convictions

When that many unconnected women all tell very similar stories, and in this case had all told family members/friends decades ago about it, that seems to be the key.  Was similar with Stuart Hall, and presumably what forced his guilty plea when he had lied through his back teeth about it initially. 

Who knows whether the likes of Lee Travis etc really were guilty, but historical crimes of this nature seem all but impossible to prove without a pattern of offending being corroborated in this way, as by definition evidence is largely anecdotal.

When that many unconnected women all tell very similar stories, and in this case had all told family members/friends decades ago about it, that seems to be the key.  Was similar with Stuart Hall, and presumably what forced his guilty plea when he had lied through his back teeth about it initially. 

Who knows whether the likes of Lee Travis etc really were guilty, but historical crimes of this nature seem all but impossible to prove without a pattern of offending being corroborated in this way, as by definition evidence is largely anecdotal.

I havent followed these things that closely... Stuart Hall plead guilty but Clifford was found guilty? And the undeniable others. What a fucking bastard

I havent followed these things that closely... Stuart Hall plead guilty but Clifford was found guilty? And the undeniable others. What a fucking bastard

Hall stridently defended himself (outside the police station I think) when initially charged, using similarly dismissive language towards his accusers to that Clifford later would, but once he'd moved his assets to his wife's name and his lawyer had read all the case files abruptly changed his plea to guity.  Clifford played the risks and got done. 

They shared the fact that a great many of their victims described idiosyncratic behaviour in eerily similar terms, which immediately put them both far more in the shit.  I remember reading about the Lee Travis case in the paper and thinking at the time the various things alleged against him didn't have a unifying pattern of offending as such running through them, so it would always be his word against each person in isolation despite their number, whereas Clifford's definitely did, so he also had to deal with the "why are these unconnected women all essentially telling the same story" angle.

Any sex offender getting caught out is a good day, but for King Louse himself to be taken down, that's worthy of a celebration in my book.

My other thought, seeing Des O'Connor outside court having given Clifford a character witness, is it would be interesting to see who else did.  The cupboard full of other people's skeletons Max keeps under lock and key has been referenced and debts called in, no doubt.