You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Forgotten Brilliant Goals

The Guest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karlheinz Riedle's chip against Leeds at Elland Road. I think it was my first away game and I remember buzzing my tits off and singing the Karlheinz Riedle/ Kiss Her Goodbye song for ages after it.

I think it's probably for the best that I can't find youtube. It's a goal that has achieved a hallowed, almost mythical status in my own memory; the kind of aura that is usually reserved for urban legends such as the phantom shitter or the ghost that every school used to have. I fear that if I saw the goal again I'd ultimately be left disappointed.

I know he's a Manc but you can't beat this goal against Spain for sheer technique, right in the top corner as well.

Everyone seems to forget Markus Babbel's goal against Everton in the Derby in 2001 because of Gary Mcallister's free kick. A quick counter attack and he must have ran the entire length of the field to get on the end of it. I nearly got punched by some Evertonian in the Bullens End jumping up and celebrating it!

Everton 2-3 Liverpool 16 April 2001 - YouTube

I remember Mcmanaman scoring one at home to villa just after that Celtic one were he ran from near the halfwayline and slotted it in the bottom corner. It was quality.

I remember you scoring an overhead kick in a home game Bernard, but having it snatched away from you by a comatose linesman. ( Sunderland possibly )

I'm going to apply the same flexible definition of "forgotten" that others have been using. (I mean - Paul Gascoigne against Scotland? What next? David Beckham's rarely-seen free-kick against Greece? Geoff Hurst against West Germany?)

I could've picked any that Berger scored for us, but instead I'll go with one for Pompey.

[YOUTUBE]vo-wk-xrSR8[/YOUTUBE]

Raul against Milan in the Champions League about 10 years ago. Figo on the right wing plays a cross-field ball to Zidane, who plays a sublime first-time backheel to Roberto Carlos bombing on down the left. Carlos crosses the ball to Raul on the edge of the area. In an instant, he cuts in between 2 defenders and spanks it into the top corner with his weaker right foot with the goalkeeper rooted to his spot. Though I hate the term "Galacticos", this is what Florentino Perez probably envisioned when putting that squad together.

[YOUTUBE]r_jznDNXMP8[/YOUTUBE]

I was only a kid at the time, but for any of the older posters, I remember a Ray Kennedy goal v Villa ( I think, may be wrong). Just inside our halve he chips jimmy RIMMER(?)from wide left into the far post, he may have meant a cross to Terry Mac(?) I just remember it being a brilliant goal, altho it was probably nothing like that if I were to ever see it again!

Paddy and Didi's goals never came from tap ins.

Remember in particular a belter of a free kick from Paddy against the Scum at the toilet in 99/00. From memory, the game finished 1-1 as they got an equaliser when Sami was off the pitch getting treatment for a head injury.

The goal is about 1.45 in on the attached clip:

[YOUTUBE]YSS4ONdOrqM[/YOUTUBE]

Sinema Pongolle scored a cracker in some European qualifier a few years back, can't find it though as I have no idea who we were playing.

I think that would be the one against Real Betis after 65 seconds or so. It was our first group game (I think) in the 05/06 campaign. We won 2-1 and Garcia scored the winner.

The only other goal in Europe from Pongolle that I can recall would have been the equaliser against Olympiakos in the group game the season before, again scoring after being on the pitch for a few seconds as he came on as a sub at half time.