You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bass guitar and it´s finest exponents

Red '84

I love Matt Freeman. The self-taught punk bassist who learnt by playing along to motown, soul and dancehall reggae. Tim's great songwriter and Lars is a tight performer but Matt is the one who has made the band's sound stand out. Simple songs like Salvation and Roots Radical become so much more with his lines making the rhythm bounce.

RsgWs4sNHwM

5CUbMi7pOZ8

PTp9SMFQ3Hw

Where to start.

Tony Levin

Bernard Edwards

John giblin

Lea sklar

Mike porcaro

Abe labouriel snr

David hungate

guy pratt

Pino pallidino

Malcolm foster

Stanley Clark

Nathan east

Mark smith

Tubbs from incognito

Just some off the top of my head, but some of the best bass players and musicians that have ever walked the planet.

Norman Watt-Roy of the Blockheads deserves props for his efforts on 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick':

[YOUTUBE]Og-M-98pI_E[/YOUTUBE]

One of Bruce Thomas' finest moments on 'Pump It Up':

[YOUTUBE]tpprOGsLWUo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Bruce Foxton - 'Precious':

[YOUTUBE]xHqWa8ih5uU[/YOUTUBE]

Norman Watt-Roy of the Blockheads deserves props for his efforts on 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick':

Agreed - watch this guy - Marlowe - he's just too good. Some of his other stuff , particularly some his funk/soul stuff - Graham Central Station, George Duke, the Jacksons etc etc - is fantastic. I can listen to him all night. Have a look...

[YOUTUBE]opDEoTZnrwg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GEZqPoPoQik[/YOUTUBE]

Agreed - watch this guy - Marlowe - he's just too good. Some of his other stuff , particularly some his funk/soul stuff - Graham Central Station, George Duke, the Jacksons etc etc - is fantastic. I can listen to him all night. Have a look...

[YOUTUBE]opDEoTZnrwg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GEZqPoPoQik[/YOUTUBE]

Brilliant.

Need to exemplify my choices now:

Michelle Ndegeocello (and yes she is on the other bus); the girl can play:

[YOUTUBE]weN7DkrLjEU[/YOUTUBE]

Thundercat (with his brother on drums) doing I Can't Help It by Michael Jackson; he's basically playing the vocal melody:

[YOUTUBE]wo7LCKpLZW4[/YOUTUBE]

Flea with Chad; sick (A.W.S.I.O.):

[YOUTUBE]E-ImKQ53C-I[/YOUTUBE]

Mark King off The Tube in the 80s (I remember watching this at the time; used to fucking love The Tube - what a great fucking concept: hours long live music show with just about all the coolest/biggest/best bands of the day on Channel 4 at tea time on a Friday!):

[YOUTUBE]6KWd-Qdb2Vc[/YOUTUBE]

Larry Graham; just in case his show wasn't funky enough, he gets the funkiest fucker in the world on stage with him, too (check his bass, though):

[YOUTUBE]NY8IGFyiDVU[/YOUTUBE]

And Bootsy Collins; mental, but great:

[YOUTUBE]cgrOD4PZzuY[/YOUTUBE]

And finally, I know it's not a bass guitar, but you can't have a thread on great bass playing and not include Mingus:

[YOUTUBE]wgX1aMpJkvs[/YOUTUBE]

• Upvote 1

Brilliant.

Need to exemplify my choices now:

Michelle Ndegeocello (and yes she is on the other bus); the girl can play:

YouTube Link

Thundercat (with his brother on drums) doing I Can't Help It by Michael Jackson; he's basically playing the vocal melody:

Flea with Chad; sick (A.W.S.I.O.):

YouTube Link

Mark King off The Tube in the 80s (I remember watching this at the time; used to fucking love The Tube - what a great fucking concept: hours long live music show with just about all the coolest/biggest/best bands of the day on Channel 4 at tea time on a Friday!):

Larry Graham; just in case his show wasn't funky enough, he gets the funkiest fucker in the world on stage with him, too (check his bass, though):

And Bootsy Collins; mental, but great:

YouTube Link

And finally, I know it's not a bass guitar, but you can't have a thread on great bass playing and not include Mingus:

Great shout with Mark King there Paul.