You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EU Referendum

Antynwa

Should the UK pull out of Europe all together?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK pull out of Europe all together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh excellent, I was hoping someone would start a threat on this...

Can someone please explain to me in none political girly lingo the pros and cons of being in or out of Europe?

Surely, (I have no idea if this is true or not) even if we werent in the European Union it wouldnt interfere with trade? I mean, businessses with current international European trade relationships wouldnt just stop if we stopped being their friends?

We could be in the EEA free trade zone without being in the EU. That would leave us in the position of having to abide by EU regulations without being able to influence them.

Opposition to EU membership typically falls into three camps:

1) Xenophobes who hate continental Europeans and don't want them coming here and terking er jerbs

2) Little Englanders who object to foreigners (non-English speaking at least) having any say in our affairs (some overlap with 1)

3) Far leftists who support economic protectionism and are opposed to free trade

None of these groups are people that any sensible person should want anything to do with.

ahh excellent, I was hoping someone would start a threat on this...

Can someone please explain to me in none political girly lingo the pros and cons of being in or out of Europe?

Surely, (I have no idea if this is true or not) even if we werent in the European Union it wouldnt interfere with trade? I mean, businessses with current international European trade relationships wouldnt just stop if we stopped being their friends?

Allow me, as I speak fluent girl. If we were to decide to withdraw from europe, it'd be like Frankie winning the x-factor, but it's about as likely as Jordan getting back together with Peter, so go put the kettle on love.

We could be in the EEA free trade zone without being in the EU. That would leave us in the position of having to abide by EU regulations without being able to influence them.

1) Xenophobes who hate continental Europeans and don't want them coming here and terking er jerbs

2) Little Englanders who object to foreigners (non-English speaking at least) having any say in our affairs (some overlap with 1)

3) Far leftists who support economic protectionism and are opposed to free trade

None of these groups are people that any sensible person should want anything to do with.

Which of those groups would you put those of your coalition partners into who voted against the whip yesterday?

We need to be more assertive with Europe, I see us as part of, but like a lap dog asking for treats, the agriculture and fishing subsidies are fucking scandalous, when looked at in the larger context it's protectionism by the larger EU states. We need to stop being a junior partner and throw ourselves in as a major player without all this little Englander nonsense, if that means adopting then Euro so be it.

If Europe can work as one big state then that's at the benefit of the collective, not the detriment.

Allow me, as I speak fluent girl. If we were to decide to withdraw from europe, it'd be like Frankie winning the x-factor, but it's about as likely as Jordan getting back together with Peter, so go put the kettle on love.

Ahhh why dont they just sat that on the news then? Over complicating things all the time!

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Noos for PM.

I'd rep that if i could.

I oppose our membership as I don't agree with legislation being drafted anywhere but parliament(I think it's around 13%) and I'm opposed to our government being subservient to any legislative body. Particularly one that has no consent from the British electorate.

I have no quarrels whatsoever with maintaining and strengthening trade and diplomatic ties with Europe nor do I have any problems with immigration.

Also, opposition to free trade traditionally comes from the right.

I oppose our membership as I don't agree with legislation being drafted anywhere but parliament(I think it's around 13%) and I'm opposed to our government being subservient to any legislative body. Particularly one that has no consent from the British electorate.

I have no quarrels whatsoever with maintaining and strengthening trade and diplomatic ties with Europe nor do I have any problems with immigration.

I agree. If we are forced by Clegg's opportunists to have a referendum on an issue of Lib-Dem self-interest then I see no problem for one that resonates with the electorate. Won't happen as they can't be sure how it'll swing.

I dont think we are being subservient to Europe. We give the 3rd highest amount to the budget behing Germany and France and countries like Sweden and the Netherlands actually lose more than we do as do the likes of Germany,Denmark and Austria.

We are not the worst off by any means.

Budget of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree. If we are forced by Clegg's opportunists to have a referendum on an issue of Lib-Dem self-interest then I see no problem for one that resonates with the electorate. Won't happen as they can't be sure how it'll swing.

The electorate simply can't be trusted - as the election result quite categorically proves.

You seriously think legislation is best left to parliament? The british parliament? Voted in by the british public? Insane.