You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Toy Nostalgia.

Rorschach08

• 7 months later...

My older brother had one of these trains as a kid. During a 'difficult' period in my personal life I went through a manic phase of buying just this specific train on E bay. I now own over 30 slowly gathering dust in my garage, probably the largest collection in the world of just this one specific train. My brother is a bit bemused by it. Hornby O Gauge Type 40 0-4-0 BR Tank Engine | #244945720

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My older brother had one of these trains as a kid. During a 'difficult' period in my personal life I went through a manic phase of buying just this specific train on E bay. I now own over 30 slowly gathering dust in my garage, probably the largest collection in the world of just this one specific train. My brother is a bit bemused by it. Hornby O Gauge Type 40 0-4-0 BR Tank Engine | #244945720

Cool! I havent got the clockwork type but very vaguely remember something like this running around a bit of track with tin plate wagon and coach.

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Hornby O gauge, made in Liverpool.

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I never had a train set, they were never really my thing although looking at them now, they are lovely things and I can understand why people collect them. Bloody expensive too.

I had a Scalextric when I was about 5, only a basic figure of 8 one with 2 cars, one red and one blue. The blue one was shit, much slower than the red one I recall.

Strange that..

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Pretty sure it was Binns Road. Been gone for years. They made Hornby trains as well as Meccano.

Yes it was Binns Road and yes it's all gone now. Bad management ran it into the ground. The model railways were taken over by Triang and renamed Triang-Hornby. Later Triang went bust but the model railways survived as todays Hornby Trains, but they're all made in the Far East now. Original Hornby Dublo trains can sell for high prices today if the're in good condition.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Cap guns. They used to sell us kids rolls of gunpowder FFS. Then you could buy a candy cigarette.

Also - Shrinky Dinks. Plastic and ink and then you put it in a toaster oven.

I loved the smell of them 

These not so much

c294521b49fbc80d38dd6bf5d222bf47.jpg

• Upvote 1