You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marco Simoncelli

Thomo123

terrible accident, and a terrible loss to the sport but above all else his family and friends.

regarding the accident, i only saw it on youtube. How exactly was he hanging off the bike in the first place? it nearly looks like he blacked out on the bike ,his head is hanging down, its just weird

Guest The Big Green Bastard
terrible accident, and a terrible loss to the sport but above all else his family and friends.

regarding the accident, i only saw it on youtube. How exactly was he hanging off the bike in the first place? it nearly looks like he blacked out on the bike ,his head is hanging down, its just weird

I think he went for a hard front tyre, which the rest of the pack didnt. Bike was going into a lowside and judging from previous form he decided to dig his knee in to stand the bike up. Unfortunately it didn't come off and 99 times out of 100 the bike would slide away from you, his wheel gripped and turned him into traffic. If only he had let go! but this is what made him amazing to watch, the fact he was racing aggresively all the time and would not give up.

Thats my opinion of the accident, maybe someone with more bike expereince could explain it better than myself.

I think he went for a hard front tyre, which the rest of the pack didnt. Bike was going into a lowside and judging from previous form he decided to dig his knee in to stand the bike up. Unfortunately it didn't come off and 99 times out of 100 the bike would slide away from you, his wheel gripped and turned him into traffic. If only he had let go! but this is what made him amazing to watch, the fact he was racing aggresively all the time and would not give up.

Thats my opinion of the accident, maybe someone with more bike expereince could explain it better than myself.

Ah, I see,

Is hate to be in Edwards and Rossi's shoes tonight, they must be feeling terrible, and particularly rossi as he was a good friend of simoncelli

A weird one, looks like he was in a low slide and had gone beyond the angle of recovery.

I suspect they'll be calls to ditch 800cc and go back to thous, and questions about Simo's mad hair and how tight fitting his lid was.

It did indeed look like his lid flew off as he hit the ground and that shouldn't happen. T'is why if you wear a motorbike helmet and don't fit it properly, its pretty much useless. With all that hair maybe he did indeed have his lid fitted very loose - might just have saved the lad if it had stayed on.

Was pretty grim, he was dead right there on the tarmac as far as I can see, they tried to start his heart and got nothing. Ouch.

The Simoncelli crash and that other one above both look brutal! I guess that's one of the risks with MotoGP or motorcycle racing in general, in that the riders only really have a helmet and a racing suit for protection. Unlike with cars, they don't have a steel or carbon fibre shell to help dissipate some of the energy of impact.

The Simoncelli crash and that other one above both look brutal! I guess that's one of the risks with MotoGP or motorcycle racing in general, in that the riders only really have a helmet and a racing suit for protection. Unlike with cars, they don't have a steel or carbon fibre shell to help dissipate some of the energy of impact.

Yup. I think thats why motorcycling appeals to a lot of people though, not just the racing. Its a fine balance of freedom and reward versus risk. There are MotoGP riders who come off pretty much every week (Randy De Puniet comes straight to mind) and rarely have anything to show for it but a dislocation or broken finger - but that crash that Simoncelli had, everything that could possibly go wrong did indeed. Once his lid slipped off, he was fucked. People have died in lesser accidents with all their gear still intact.

Its a proper sad loss, I'd watched him in Moto2 and was made up when he made the step up. Very sad too that he was friends with The GOAT and he happened to be involved in the collision. Bad times.

Edited by Pony Princess
typo

Don't start posting videos for fuck's sake. I have seen it once, but I didn't want to. Horrendous crash, both Rossi and Edwards hit him, I think Rossi's wheel caught the helmet so maybe that's what brought it off the head. I feel for both of them. I don't think I could go out there again if I were in their shoes. Neither did anything wrong but it was horrible. The sight of him prone on the track is heartbreaking.

BBC Sport - Marco Simoncelli: Steve Parrish on the accident

Don't start posting videos for fuck's sake. I have seen it once, but I didn't want to. Horrendous crash, both Rossi and Edwards hit him, I think Rossi's wheel caught the helmet so maybe that's what brought it off the head. I feel for both of them. I don't think I could go out there again if I were in their shoes. Neither did anything wrong but it was horrible. The sight of him prone on the track is heartbreaking.

BBC Sport - Marco Simoncelli: Steve Parrish on the accident

The mad thing is that helmets are tested to fuck so they never just come off even under impacts like that. Worked with a guy whose brother was a motorcyclist and a firefighter and he used to say motorcycle helmets were boss because they'd stay on a head even if the unlucky person was decapitated from the force, meaning he didn't have to pick up bits of brain. They only come off if you don't fit them properly.

There will be inquests anyway and they'll see what happened in minute detail. Its well sad and the first death I've seen in MotoGP since I started following it about 5 years ago. I know there was a few deaths in Moto2 but yeah, in MotoGP, its brutal as fuck.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
A weird one, looks like he was in a low slide and had gone beyond the angle of recovery.

I suspect they'll be calls to ditch 800cc and go back to thous, and questions about Simo's mad hair and how tight fitting his lid was.

This is the last year for 800cc, next year will be the thou's.

I don't believe for one second that Marco would be irresponsible enough to wear a loose fitting lid to accomodate his hair. The amount of times he has crashed through the years and survived (til now) suggests to me that he takes protective gear very seriously.

It was a freak accident, i don't believe there was any problem with the helmet.

*checks helmet ready for work tmw*