You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A week off booze

Redder Lurtz

I fucking love Guiness; really love it. I couldn't face any more than two, or at a push three, pints though. In fact I couldn't face more than three pints of anything. It just makes me feel bloated and a bit sick. To get really pissed I have to be on wine or shorts.

Have you ever had a pint of the black stuff in Ireland?

I'm off boozing with Woo in an hour or so. Gonna see if Remmie is about too. Win.

Pass on my best wishes to Remmie.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me, mate - I literally could not consume that amount of alcohol (or at least not in that form, but I doubt I could in any form to be honest). How the hell do you keep going on the pints for that long? And then the wine too!

I don't know mate really. Just open my mouth and pour it in. It's not as if I drink that much very often though, at least not recently. Most I've had recently was about 18 pints when I did the Pennine ale trail but that was spread over around ten hours. It certainly takes me longer to recover these days; took me two days to recover from the ale trail. I reckon I'm happy to stay off the drink during the week. I think nothing of having a full bottle of wine on a week night but equally having no booze at all has not bothered me at all this week.

Funny I should see this thread, because I'm going to have to go a week without booze after being prescribed some antibiotics by the quack.

Definitely staying in tonight. Nothing worse than having your shitfaced mates chat bubbles to you while you're as sober as a judge.

Funny I should see this thread, because I'm going to have to go a week without booze after being prescribed some antibiotics by the quack.

Definitely staying in tonight. Nothing worse than having your shitfaced mates chat bubbles to you while you're as sober as a judge.

That's a fallacy mate. Stephen Fry said so.

Have you ever had a pint of the black stuff in Ireland?

Aye - in some mental pub in Dublin out near the Guiness factory. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't tell the difference.

I don't know mate really. Just open my mouth and pour it in. It's not as if I drink that much very often though, at least not recently. Most I've had recently was about 18 pints when I did the Pennine ale trail but that was spread over around ten hours. It certainly takes me longer to recover these days; took me two days to recover from the ale trail. I reckon I'm happy to stay off the drink during the week. I think nothing of having a full bottle of wine on a week night but equally having no booze at all has not bothered me at all this week.

*Steps back in amazement.*

Having never suffered badly with hangovers, in the last few months I have been feeling utterly rotten if I have anything more than a couple of beers. This has led to me now being three quarters of the way through a month off the booze. It's been fine, but last night was hellish - as Faustus alludes, drunk people really are fuckwits when you're sober.

Aye - in some mental pub in Dublin out near the Guiness factory. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't tell the difference.

*Steps back in amazement.*

*Applauds*

*Feels a bit sick*

I had 5 cans on Friday night and felt awful all day yesterday :( I still don't exactly feel fine now, it's actually terrible. Each week it happens and I always say to myself that I'll try and have that week off, then when it comes round to a Friday again, I usually can't resist :P

My hangover that I got yesterday was worse than ever I think, but getting drunk is just too good to stop drinking even for a short while. :')

Edited by Stacey.

Having never suffered badly with hangovers, in the last few months I have been feeling utterly rotten if I have anything more than a couple of beers. This has led to me now being three quarters of the way through a month off the booze. It's been fine, but last night was hellish - as Faustus alludes, drunk people really are fuckwits when you're sober.

Age catches up with the best of us, Olly. When I was in my teens I could drink like a fish. However, from my mid-twenties onwards I've been very circumspect in my boozing due to the awful toll it takes on me. As I get older, the pain gets worse - hence my instances of getting arseholed become fewer and further between.

Unfortunately I missed out on the RJ/Woo piss up as I was on the Zombie parade, sorry to have missed you chaps. On an empty stomach I reckon I had about half a bottle of vodka and about 5 pints maybe.

Hangover hasn't been that bad just dead sleepy.

Oh and all while dressed like this:

305218_10150915853430657_563410656_21598009_297935662_n.jpg

Some fucking tarts in here.

I'm nearly 32 and drink far more than I should, and I mean far more.

Put the extra in at a certain sports training and ride the bike* a few times a week and you can still put it away without turning into a slob.

*I also go out on my bicycle for 6 miles a couple of times a week.

Unfortunately I missed out on the RJ/Woo piss up as I was on the Zombie parade, sorry to have missed you chaps. On an empty stomach I reckon I had about half a bottle of vodka and about 5 pints maybe.

Hangover hasn't been that bad just dead sleepy.

Oh and all while dressed like this:

305218_10150915853430657_563410656_21598009_297935662_n.jpg

That photo makes me miss Brighton... funnily enough the worst hangover I've had in recent years was caused in part by the pub behind you in it, can't remember the name -- the King and Queen, maybe? My mate from uni came down to visit me and a few other lads he knew down there and we just went from pub to pub all afternoon getting shitfaced. I was doing an MA at the time and had been reading the Trial by Kafka and I remember being so smashed I thought a girl I was chatting to was 'the law'.

Woke up next to some uneaten falafel and spent the entirety of the next day being sick. Brilliant city for a night out though. Definitely heading back there next time I'm in the country.

That photo makes me miss Brighton... funnily enough the worst hangover I've had in recent years was caused in part by the pub behind you in it, can't remember the name -- the King and Queen, maybe? My mate from uni came down to visit me and a few other lads he knew down there and we just went from pub to pub all afternoon getting shitfaced. I was doing an MA at the time and had been reading the Trial by Kafka and I remember being so smashed I thought a girl I was chatting to was 'the law'.

Woke up next to some uneaten falafel and spent the entirety of the next day being sick. Brilliant city for a night out though. Definitely heading back there next time I'm in the country.

King and Queen it is sir

Some fucking tarts in here.

I'm nearly 32 and drink far more than I should, and I mean far more.

Put the extra in at a certain sports training and ride the bike* a few times a week and you can still put it away without turning into a slob.

*I also go out on my bicycle for 6 miles a couple of times a week.

Ha, ha, ha!!! 32 and you still equate booze with masculinity. Grrrr, you da man!!!

After Saturday I'm off it for a while. Can go a few weeks and not miss it at all, the feeling of being fresh, sleeping well, lose a few pounds, few quid in the bank is over turned by sheer boredom. The hangover these days is just to brutal and agree with Paul age is the killer. Also lifes to short to piss it all up the wall all the time.

This weekends drinking started on Saturday afternoon, sort of speeded up watching something on the telly between 530 and 715 ish, a slight slowing down whilst watching John Foxx at the Stanley Theatre, then sort of went for a sprint finish till 2am at The Swan in Wood St. Then up early Sunday to watch a world sporting final in O'Neills on Hanover St, accompanied by some medicinal pints of cider, then an afternoon watching some sport or other till 6 and knocking the Stellas back. Monday I just felt horrible, not sick or headache, just dirty and sweaty and thoroughly unhygienic. And farting like mad, though the fish chips and curry sauce, plus all that lager and cider will have done that. Thats it now for a fortnight till I go and see Magazine in Manchester.

• 1 year later...