You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My brother-in-law has Down's Syndrome. Like most people he annoys me occasionally but he does buy me the best Christmas presents. I don't use the word "mong" because ultimately I think I'd be perpetuating an unhelpful and unkind stereotype. I wonder whether Gervais would use the term so readily if someone in his family had Down's Syndrome?

"The modern use of the word mong means 'dopey' or 'ignorant'," said Gervais in a statement. "It's even in modern slang and urban dictionaries."

"Well done everyone who pointed out that Mong USED to be a derogatory term for DS [Down's Syndrome], Gay USED to mean happy. Words change. Get over it."

This is pathetic - obviously I missed the announcement when the meaning was changed. Is he saying that at some point in the past it was wrong to use "mong" but now it's ok because everyone has forgotten what it used to mean?

Gervais clearly finds it annoying having to tailor his act to appease those who find certain words and humour offensive. The idea of the evolution of words and their derivations is something that he refers to frequently in his acts.

Nonetheless, it's obvious what he refers to when he talks about 'mongs'. He is trying to stick it to the 'PC brigade' or whatever you'd call it and, unsurprisingly, he's attracted their ire.

His problem isn't really what he's saying - loads of comedians say far worse stuff. His problem is trying to retain his mainstream popularity and cheeky image while simultaneously saying stuff that are not in keeping with the politics of that sort of image.

More subversive comedians like Boyle - whose act is completely fucking shit, by the by - get away with it because they wear their colours on their sleeves. Gervais' wears his poking out of his pocket and tucks them away whenever they're called to attention.

He's in a weird place as a comedian, trying to appeal as a massive stand-up act but not wanting to bow-down to the sort of politically correct stuff that breeds vanilla acts like Macintyre. I think the issue was best summarised by Trey Parker and Matt Stone when they said 'either you can make fun of everyone, or you can't make fun of anyone'. As a comedian, I think you have to follow that principle; either you don't care about upsetting anyone, or you do. Gervais sort of seems like he wants it both ways at the moment. Something has to give in that respect,

I'm disabled and don't find Gervais or SP offensive, I think you have to judge whether they're trying to insult or just using it as a term of slang. SP is far braver and targets all whilst I doubt Ricky would go into Muhammed territory, in that sense he does go for 'easy' targets. Like Boyle, I think the truth is they're limited comedians in the range of their act.

The one I do object to is Jim Davidson and his move the wheelchairs bollix - and much of his ancient racist/homophobic act.

If Science hadn't have been on Channel 4 last Friday, nobody would have been arsed.

He clearly stated his use and the context before using it, and he's right Susan Boyle does look like an idiot.

Silverlining, you have actually got a cheek having a pop at him for the shite you have said to people over the years on here.

There was a woman on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday crying buckets saying "These people don't deserve this in life", just to point out again, he wasn't having a pop at anybody with Down Syndrome, he was having a pop at the dickheads and easily offended in this country. And he has been proved right.

'Mong' is not a nice word, but I think you would have to be completely stupid if you thought anybody using it as an insult towards anyone with Down Syndrome.

I have used it in the past for a lot of the idiots on the *F, the context is because they are fucking idiots, not because I reckon they have or should have Down Syndrome.

But he's not, though.

He's already said that he's using "mong" to essentially mean "idiot". Like he's using an adapted, modern version of the word that has nothing to do with "mongoloid" or "Down's Syndrome".

But he's a lying cunt.

He was first called out over it after describing Susan Boyle as follows:

"Well, she’s a mong, isn’t she? She looks like a mong, doesn’t she?"

So let's not kid ourselves. He's saying she looks a bit Downsy. A bit mongy. A bit like a mong. And that's that.

Exactly.

Saw that 'bit' on telly last week, and that for me is the moment his whole 'I don't mean it like that' argument falls to bits.

If Science hadn't have been on Channel 4 last Friday, nobody would have been arsed.

He clearly stated his use and the context before using it, and he's right Susan Boyle does look like an idiot.

Silverlining, you have actually got a cheek having a pop at him for the shite you have said to people over the years on here.

There was a woman on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday crying buckets saying "These people don't deserve this in life", just to point out again, he wasn't having a pop at anybody with Down Syndrome, he was having a pop at the dickheads and easily offended in this country. And he has been proved right.

'Mong' is not a nice word, but I think you would have to be completely stupid if you thought anybody using it as an insult towards anyone with Down Syndrome.

I have used it in the past for a lot of the idiots on the *F, the context is because they are fucking idiots, not because I reckon they have or should have Down Syndrome.

I agree with this. Although there are enough words in the English dictionary to describe someone as an idiot without referring to them as a mong.

I prefer the world pleb.

I agree with this. Although there are enough words in the English dictionary to describe someone as an idiot without referring to them as a mong.

I prefer the world pleb.

Pleb is a good word and under used these days.

Going back to the word 'mong', me and my mates each other 'potmongs' because we enjoy a good smoke, does that mean I am calling/being called a 'Pot Smoking Down Syndrome Sufferer'?

No it doesn't.

It's the people crying outrage that are keeping the stigma of the word attached to Down Syndrome sufferer's.

The dictionary is not an absolute arbiter of meaning, our language is negotiated and in a constant state of flux. The 'right' use of the word depends entirely on the audience, and a forum like twitter is too broad for a general consensus.

It was used in his stand up, that was shown on Channel 4 last Friday, past the watershed.

Well, he has to accept that a portion of his audience will be offended. Pointing to a dictionary proves nothing. Words are only given meaning by people, they have absolutely none of their own.

Why would he expect his audience to be offended when they have chosen to go and see him?

It sounded like not that many people were offended.

Let's take a look at the evidence...

1. Gervais is always grinning from ear to ear

2. He has a "neatly trimmed" beard

3. He hangs around in tinsel town with size 0 models and famous plastic surgeons.

Conclusion : you're fooling nobody sunshine, you're still a fat fucking smary, unfunny fat cunt.

With a double chin.

Oh, and "Timmy !"