You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anne Williams Petition

Coro

Good idea. How do you do that? And you're right, the title needs more punch

For future reference, same way you get anything done around here - pm Dave.

I've just done it for this by the way, also suggested editing the title to make it a bit clearer what it's about.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For future reference, same way you get anything done around here - pm Dave.

I've just done it for this by the way, also suggested editing the title to make it a bit clearer what it's about.

Well done, sir. And Dave too

I get a lump in my throat every time I think about her. Its just heartbreaking

Same here, I live in Oldham and when I saw this I was reminded of Winnie Johnson, Keith Bennett's mum - spent over 40 years trying to get some sense of closure over her son's death and never managed it before she died. God forbid that should happen to another parent if it can be prevented.

That's what I'd assume. I wouldn't have commented myself just to say I'd signed it if it wasn't for the fact it also served to bump the thread at the time. The point was signing it, not getting a pat on the back from the forum for doing so - think a lot of people here are the same way with things like this.

• 3 weeks later...
I can only hope that gives Anne a boost..... obviously this is just the first step but it can only add to the pressure on those involved to get the job done

Got this from another site. Fantastic news.

THE definitive application to quash the original Hillsborough inquests is set to be made today or tomorrow by the Attorney General.

The accidental death verdicts, which have for 23 years prevented any meaningful inquiry into the lack of care received by the 96 Liverpool fans who lost their lives in Sheffield, have been reviewed by the Attorney General Dominic Grieve in the wake of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report's findings.

His application to the High Court will seek to quash the original verdict - paving the way for new inquests.

Anne Williams, who has campaigned tirelessly for over two decades to get justice for her 15-year-old son Kevin, received the news that her fourth memorial to the Attorney General was likely to prove successful from her solicitor Elkan Abrahamson.

Anne said, "I am buzzing - I'm over the moon that it's finally happened.

Anne Williams

"This document is what I've been fighting the system to get hold of for 23 years.

"I can't believe I've finally got it here in front of me in black and white.

"I just keep looking at the words over and over again in case I'm seeing things or reading it wrong.

"I've had all this evidence for a long time and presented it to previous Attorney Generals, who didn't do their job properly and rejected it for supposedly 'not being in the interests of justice'.

"It is terrible how this has gone on for so long but the main thing is the right things are now happening.

"I just hope there isn't too much red tape involved and they are able to set a date for Kevin's inquest soon."

The Attorney General's office confirmed he hoped to lodge the papers today or tomorrow.

Already done - from the beeb:

Bid for new Hillsborough inquests made by attorney general

The application was made in the High Court by the Attorney General Dominic Grieve

An application to quash the original Hillsborough inquest verdicts has been made by Attorney General Dominic Grieve.

Families of the victims have campaigned for years to have the original 1991 accidental death verdicts overturned.

Mr Grieve, the government's most senior law officer, made the application to the High Court, paving the way for new hearings.

He said the main basis for the move was new medical evidence.

He explained that the alteration of evidence by the police and other emergency services was also a supporting factor, along with stadium safety.

"I believe that the case for the High Court to quash the original inquests is a good one," Mr Grieve said.

"My application has now been lodged with the court. It is my intention to appear to argue the case at the hearing that will take place in the High Court."

Damning report

He said the views of the families had been sought before filing the application, with the coroners for South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire also contacted.

A date for the High Court hearing has yet to be fixed.

Ninety-six Liverpool supporters died as a result of the crush on 15 April 1989 at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium, where their team were to meet Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup semi-final.

The move comes after a recent damning report into the way the disaster was handled.

Anne Williams, whose son Kevin died in the disaster, wrote on Twitter: "Just received e mail the Attorney General is sending Kevin's case to the divisional courts seeking a new inquest (into) his death."

More than 100,000 people have signed an e-petition calling for a fresh inquest into Kevin Williams' death to be held swiftly as his mother is suffering from cancer.

Mr Grieve announced in October he would make an application to the High Court.

Margaret Aspinall, whose son James, 18, died at Hillsborough, said: "We have waited over 20 years for these verdicts to be overturned and I'm sure all the families will be delighted to hear that these steps are being taken.

"It is a great step towards getting the justice we have fought for."

A report by the Hillsborough Independent Panel in September revealed police and emergency services had made "strenuous attempts" to deflect the blame for the disaster on to fans.

It also found 164 police statements had been altered - 116 of them to remove or change negative comments about the policing of the match.

The report said 41 of the 96 who had died had had the "potential to survive".

linky