You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Section_31

Saw this on the news before, absolutely shocking - warning if you watch this video they try and blur it out but you do see the kid get hit.

The toddler basically gets run over by a delivery van while her mother is shopping, the van stops, then drives off - running over her with its back wheels.

A total of 18 people walk past while she's lying in the road, then another van runs her over. A bloke stops on a scooter, looks at her, then drives off. Eventually a street cleaner drags her to the side of the road and goes to find her mother.

The child is effectively brain dead in hospital.

What a fucked up country. I'd be interested to hear any theories on what's caused people to do this. Is it because it's totalitarian? Does it breed a culture of minding your own business to such an extreme degree that you won't even stop to help a kid?

[YOUTUBE]05P0mjtnoD8[/YOUTUBE]

From what I understand, in China if you take a person to hospital you can be held responsible for the cost of their healthcare almost definitely if the injured party is financially broke. There is also an attitude that if you take them then it must be you're fault. I remember hearing a story about some guy that helped an old woman that had fell over. She ended up pressing charges on him for compensation and the court pretty much said 'If you didn't push her then why did you help her'. It really is a messed up culture.

Yes, that's basically it. The precedent set in the courts is that helping an injured person amounts to an admission that you caused the injuries. A £10,000 fine awaits he who is foolish enough to help an injured person, which amounts to 5 years salary. Nice place to live!

Guest ShoePiss

They do business the same way. They always try to shift liability, refuse to help out as part of a team unless their role has been clearly detailed beforehand. Brilliant for them and their business i suppose but a pain in the arse as far as partnerships go. Can't stand working with them.

This story has sparked just as much outrage here as it did in the West. I was in a back-alley restaurant when it came on the news and the whole place went quiet. People were mortified that it had happened.

The precedent that Ashberry explained probably had a bit to do with it. I'm not at all surprised that the drivers drove off, because liability for health costs is something that people are desperate to avoid (there was even a case, recently, of a guy who hit a woman and then stopped his car, got out of it, and stabbed her about five times so that she wouldn't live and file charges against him). For the passers by, though, it's still hard to account for.

Most Chinese people that I've encountered have been really friendly and helpful. I would liken this event to that famous one that happened (I think) in New York, where that person was killed in the street where in spite of their being 13 or 14 witnesses, nobody called the police. In this case, with it being in a market street, my own theory would be that everyone expected someone else to help, and when they didn't they presumed that they didn't have to either. I believe an established precedent is that once the first one or two people do nothing, everyone else follows suit. I think it comes from quite a famous psychological study but my knowledge of it is rudimentary at best.

As for some of the other theories 'they kill little girls because they want boys', there are doting fathers all over the place with little girls on their arms. It is nothing like the way it's portrayed.

In respect of the opening question: 'is it because it's totalitarian, people mind their own business?' My own experience runs completely contrary to that. There is a real culture of curiosity in China, and living and working in a place where I am one of a handful of foreigners, I am constantly asked about where I come from, what am I doing in China, what do I think of the food, the girls (they're ace) and so on. People will often come over and talk to us or simply raise their glass and say 'gambei' (down it) in restaurants, and in some cases they've even bought us food and beer. The welcome with which most of us have been received could not stand in starker contrast to the way a lot of foreigners are treated in the UK.

As an aside, while I'm talking about China I think it's also worth mentioning what a safe country this is. Despite living in a big city and regularly making sojourns to the centre of town, I haven't seen a single bit of street violence, and the only fight I saw in a club was when one of my mates got jumped by (surprise, surprise) another foreigner. You can feel confident walking almost anywhere at any hour. It completely lacks the culture of drunken violence that the UK possesses, in spite of the fact that people will regularly get legless on baijiu or the watery stuff that passes for lager.

It is by no means common to the country to leave a child bleeding in the street and I don't think it's indicative of any kind of widespread social callousness. It's quite anomalous and the people here are appalled.

This story has sparked just as much outrage here as it did in the West. I was in a back-alley restaurant when it came on the news and the whole place went quiet. People were mortified that it had happened.

The precedent that Ashberry explained probably had a bit to do with it. I'm not at all surprised that the drivers drove off, because liability for health costs is something that people are desperate to avoid (there was even a case, recently, of a guy who hit a woman and then stopped his car, got out of it, and stabbed her about five times so that she wouldn't live and file charges against him). For the passers by, though, it's still hard to account for.

Most Chinese people that I've encountered have been really friendly and helpful. I would liken this event to that famous one that happened (I think) in New York, where that person was killed in the street where in spite of their being 13 or 14 witnesses, nobody called the police. In this case, with it being in a market street, my own theory would be that everyone expected someone else to help, and when they didn't they presumed that they didn't have to either. I believe an established precedent is that once the first one or two people do nothing, everyone else follows suit. I think it comes from quite a famous psychological study but my knowledge of it is rudimentary at best.

As for some of the other theories 'they kill little girls because they want boys', there are doting fathers all over the place with little girls on their arms. It is nothing like the way it's portrayed.

In respect of the opening question: 'is it because it's totalitarian, people mind their own business?' My own experience runs completely contrary to that. There is a real culture of curiosity in China, and living and working in a place where I am one of a handful of foreigners, I am constantly asked about where I come from, what am I doing in China, what do I think of the food, the girls (they're ace) and so on. People will often come over and talk to us or simply raise their glass and say 'gambei' (down it) in restaurants, and in some cases they've even bought us food and beer. The welcome with which most of us have been received could not stand in starker contrast to the way a lot of foreigners are treated in the UK.

As an aside, while I'm talking about China I think it's also worth mentioning what a safe country this is. Despite living in a big city and regularly making sojourns to the centre of town, I haven't seen a single bit of street violence, and the only fight I saw in a club was when one of my mates got jumped by (surprise, surprise) another foreigner. You can feel confident walking almost anywhere at any hour. It completely lacks the culture of drunken violence that the UK possesses, in spite of the fact that people will regularly get legless on baijiu or the watery stuff that passes for lager.

It is by no means common to the country to leave a child bleeding in the street and I don't think it's indicative of any kind of widespread social callousness. It's quite anomalous and the people here are appalled.

Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You ever see the pic of the baby girls body lying against the kerb in china? Still can't get the imagine out my head, must of been about 10 years ago too.

Know the pic you mean, can't find it online for the life of me... enyone? Its a businessman (iirc) just walking past a crying child in the curb of a busy street.

From what I understand, in China if you take a person to hospital you can be held responsible for the cost of their healthcare almost definitely if the injured party is financially broke.

Yes, that's basically it. The precedent set in the courts is that helping an injured person amounts to an admission that you caused the injuries.

amd_dick_cheney.jpg

"Fuck me. That's genius!"

Fucking disgusting situation they've left themselves in, if that ruling is to be believed. Also, that article says the toddler's mother was shopping when it happened. Given that several minutes have evidently passed in that video, did she even realise her daughter wasn't with her? Or was she frantically looking for her at the time it happened?