You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blackadder Goes Forth

Hoddy

Just been watching this on DVD; is there anyone who thinks this isn't the best out of the four series? I'd be very surprised if so. For me, this one had it all: the characters were fully-formed, the actors were all in their perfect roles (even Rik Mayall's Flashheart is fucking ace), each episode is top-notch, and the similes are as funny as anything in British comedy history.

Anyone else agree?

I love Blackadder I have the box set but my favorite was Blackadder the second.

Yup.

Forth is excellent but some of the one-liners seem a bit overworked. The casual way Edmund throws the insults around in 2 is superb.

"You look like a bird who's swallowed a plate"

"Jane 'Bury-me-in-a-Y-Shaped Coffin' Herrington?"

"Baldrick, go forth into the streets and let it be known that Lord Blackadder wishes to sell his house. Percy, just go forth into the street."

Blackadder: Not good enough, you're fired.

Baldrick: But, my Lord, I've been in your family since 1532.

Blackadder: So has syphilis. Now get out.

The last episode has to be one of the best things ever seen on television.

Absolute genius. Incredibly funny and subtly scathing at the same time while remaining firmly within the boundaries of taste. I defy anybody to say that the last scene doesn't give them a lump in their throats.

I did like series 1 myself,it's not as good as the others but i did find it funny.

Blackadder: I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then hundreds of years from now I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.

Baldrick: Yeah, and I could be played by some tiny tit in a beard.

Blackadder: Quite.

Hmmmm, I think Blackadder 2 would have a good shout for being the "most classic", but personally I have the fondest memories of the third series.

The brilliant interplay between Blackadder in a more interesting - and infuriating for his character - role as the retarded Prince Regent's underling, an equally retarded Balders as the underling's underling and Hugh Laurie in quite the best comic form of his entire career.

And some simply wonderful cameos by McInerny, Coltrane and Mayall.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

• Downvote 1

Hmmmm, I think Blackadder 2 would have a good shout for being the "most classic", but personally I have the fondest memories of the third series.

The brilliant interplay between Blackadder in a more interesting - and infuriating for his character - role as the retarded Prince Regent's underling, an equally retarded Balders as the underling's underling and Hugh Laurie in quite the best comic form of his entire career.

And some simply wonderful cameos by McInerny, Coltrane and Mayall.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Rik Mayall wasn't in the 3rd series. Sorry to be pedantic Silver but one doesn't often get a chance to get one over on you!

Flash is probably my favourite character. Eats the scenery and steals every scene he's in.

Have to be one of my favourite comedies. Even the much maligned 1st series, which only looks bad when compared to the other three.

So many catchphrases and quotes.

"Melchy? Still worshiping God? Last thing I heard he started worshiping me!"

Rik Mayall wasn't in the 3rd series. Sorry to be pedantic Silver but one doesn't often get a chance to get one over on you!

Flash is probably my favourite character. Eats the scenery and steals every scene he's in.

Yeah, he chews so much scenery I assumed he could chew his way into Series Three from Series 2.

I think I was probably assuming he was one of the baddies in the French Revolution/ Scarlet Pimpernel episode, but actually that was Arnold Rimmer aka Chris Barrie.