You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When I saw the line up I was hoping for good football, plenty of goals and a clean sheet but I was also left feeling uneasy. This maybe from years of control under rafa and the fact that I don't entirely trust a Liverpool team without at least one midfielder who isn't primarily worried about defending. I applaud Kenny for naming the side he did. at the start of the season, after we'd made our signings, I was thinking about the possibility of a team for games against relegation fodder and a team for away games and against the big six. so for a game like yesterday against Norwich I would have wanted to see us drop Lucas (he didn't have to he was suspended) play Gerrard and Adam in midfield and play 2 up front. That's what I got so why wasn't I entirely convinced that we would win this game? It's because I know we need to get at least 2 goals ahead because we're always likely to concede.

Reina made a bad mistake for the goal but after a first half where we managed to score 1 goal from lots of chances, we started to give Hoolahan more space and in the build up to the goal it was him that got the ball wide for the cross. Good cross it was but Reina came out and cleaned Carra leaving Holt to head into an empty net. He made a good save moments later when Holt was free again to get a header on goal but reina snapped a hand up to it and skrtel headed it away. Gi Jo returned at right back, I assume that Kelly is injured again. It's unfortunate for the big lad because he plays well everytime he's in the team. Ashley Young didn't get a kick last week. GJ played well offensively first half when he went on a few runs but he wasn't infallible for the goal either. Holt got the run on him and then he made some poor attempt to jump with the forward. Later on he looked really tired and made some poor decisions like shooting from distance late on which is understandable after his first 90 mins of the season.

We continue to have a big problem defensively and someone needs to be held accountable for it. Many seem to be blaming Carra and I'm starting to agree with them. The reality is that every time we concede a corner or a cross goes into our box we look like letting one in. Take the goal yesterday, we clear the ball from our 18 and it goes straight to hoolahan, he has time to control, look up, knock the ball wide, the wide player has time to control look up and whip in a cross and we're still in our 18. When that ball is cleared in the first place we should be getting out of our 18 there and then never mind after 5 or 10 more seconds of play. Now there are other defensive mistakes in this passage of play like why has hoolahan so much space, why has the crosser so much space, did reina need to come etc but our only form of defence this season seems to be to score more goals than the other team. Carra has been the constant in the back 4 and we're defending really poorly so maybe he is the problem. he's the organiser in there, he should be ordering the rest of them out when the ball is cleared yet we're still in our 18. Agger is fit again so maybe it's time to see him and Skrtel given a go together. If kenny is waiting for Carra to get injured so he doesn't have to make the decision, he'll be waiting a long time. I thought Skrtel was ok yesterday. we didn't have much to do. I can only really remember them having two chances from headers and maybe a shot from range, the problem is that teams only need 1 or 2 chances to score against us. Even Enrique had his worst game for us so far yesterday. he looked very nervous or careless in the first half an his crossing was dreadful. Think it was his long punt forward that led to the goal but that's what we were reduced to in a pretty frustrating first half. We created plenty of chances but the longer it went on at nil nil the less likely it looked like we were going to win.

I said in the lead up to the united game that our problem was not pressing against man united, it was pressing against teams like Norwich. While we dominated the first half in terms of possession and chances we were possibly lucky to be one nil up at half time. There was a period in the first half where we couldn't get the ball off them and this became more of a problem second half. Charlie Adam had his best game for us last week and so far this season I've been impressed with him. He also made a great cameo against Rangers on Tuesday night so I was expecting more of the same against Norwich but Adams problem so far this season seems to be fitness and again yesterday he went missing for 15 or 20 mins after the first 5 or 10 mins of the second half. We might as well have Gerry Adams playing midfield for us when he does this because he just disappears. I thought he was just alright up until he went awol again but his delivery was as good as ever. I just wish he had've moved Downing out of the way for free kicks and corners. if it's on the right side and adam is on the pitch then he should be taking them.

Gerrard in midfield has sparked countless debates. Neither Houllier or Benitez really trusted him in a midfield two, Eriksson and Capello rarely if ever play him in central midfield for England so are all these managers wrong? at 31 years of age and 13 years as premier league footballer have all these managers been playing Gerrard out of position. On yesterdays evidence, no they haven't. Gerrards best position is a free role and whether he has to play left, right or up front when we haven't got the ball to allow him to go wherever the ball is when we do have it then thats what has to be done. The room afforded to Hoolahan is because neither Adam or Gerrard were anywhere near him in midfield. Again, I applaud Kenny for naming this midfield, this attacking line up but defensively there were gaping holes. In an attacking Stevie was ok. I can't remember him creating that much apart from the cross for Carroll at the end.

Kenny's persistence with Downing is bordering on obsession. Started on the right yesterday which in fairness (looking at his show reel with villa last year) seems to be his best position. already this season we've seen him cut in off the right and crack one off the bar against sunderland. He didn't come anywhere close to that yesterday. smashing the ball into the kop after suarez shot turned onto the post was the closest he came. My opinion of him so far is that he isn't good enough for us. He's light weight, not as fast as I thought and takes the wrong option all the time. He had plenty of opportunities to shoot yesterday but took an extra touch or just didn't take it on. that's confidence and he has none of it but how long before the crowd start getting on his back? I reckon, if he starts against Swansea in the next home game and it's anything like yesterday he'll know all about it. He had one decent cross with his right foot that suarez tamely headed into the keepers arms. That's what he's been so far, one moment per game man. not good enough, not good enough by a long stretch.

Bellamy on the other side probably did more in an hour or however long he was was on than Downing has done all season. he scored for a start. our best move of the game came when he took down a great cross field ball from Adam on the move, got to the bye line and pulled it back for suarez whose shot was tipped onto the post by the keeper. Bellamy and Suarez were the only two out of all the attacking players in that starting 11 that had me on the edge of my seat when they got the ball but the way kenny has picked his teams so far this season, he'll probably be back on the bench next weekend.

Increasingly i'm shouting at the TV "just get the ball to Suarez" this is what we're having to resort to every game. get the ball to suarez and hopefully someone will fall for a turn or a bit of skill and bring him down for a penalty or he'll find the net himself. That looked unlikely with that ref yesterday who blew his whistle 13 times - 4 to times to restart the game, once to end the game and 8 times for us being offside. It also looked unlikely he was going to score as he had 2 shots deflected onto the posts but also missed a couple with poor finishing. something else I've noticed is the amount of times he ends up missing across goal. these could be tap ins for the likes of javier hernandez. a poacher would have a field day playing up front with Luis. We're relying on him too much. he's a great player but not a great goal scorer but there's only so much he can do. if he scored as many as he created he'd be better than messi! The moment I knew we weren't going to win this was when Carroll knocked the ball down for Luis and he screwed it wide, he was offside anyway but I didn't know it and I let a "FUCK" out of me that had my wife looking at me like I was a lunatic.

Dirk was fairly anonymous yesterday too. he was playing up front with Suarez hoping to recreate the good partnership they had when Luis arrived earlier this year but nobody seems to be on the same wavelength as the uruguayan and too often i was left wondering why dirk or someone else wasn't anticipating his shots being missed across goal.

The subs were pretty baffling. It looked like we found the position for Henderson last week when he came on against United so when I seen him getting ready my first reaction was I'd rather see Carroll or maxi coming on now but if Henderson can do what he did last week then it might work. I was expecting Kuyt to go right and henderson to push up with suarez when we had the ball and extra body in the middle when we didn't but what we got was Henderson at right midfield where he has been generally shit this year and what do you know? he was shit again. Carroll coming on so late was frustrating as well. he should have been on 10 mins before that. he missed a great chance at the end but that's the way it's going for him. I keep thinking the price tags are irrelevant. we paid what we had to get him but when you see these players sitting on the bench and not performing when they get on it looks like that money could have been spent better. Agger for Kuyt at the end makes me think that Kenny is more likely to play 3 at the back than drop Carragher.

And so on to Kenny. I was a bit cautious about the team he selected. I hoped more than believed it would work. We could and should have been 2 or 3 up at half time but I was delighted we were 1 nil up at least at the break. From pre season on, we've been conceding goals and this malaise has continued into the season. The only way we're going to win games is if the other team get a man sent off, if the other team create no chances or if we get a 2 goals ahead. 9 games into the season now this needs to be addressed by the manager. We are dropping points because we are conceding goals. Newcastle are fourth in the league because they are keeping clean sheets. They're defending their lead. We are battering teams and maybe scoring one goal from up to 20 chances. Our opponents are scoring against us from a couple of chances. it's fucking ridiculous. To use a rafa analogy. The blanket is too small for the people in the bed. if we cover our feet our shoulders are exposed, if we cover our shoulders our feet our exposed. I've heard it said that there is too much space between our midfield and defence, that we are defending too deep. I saw that yesterday especially in the second half. Someone has to be held accountable and it looks like it's the defensive organiser who should be. Agger and Skrtel are fit so let's see if we're any better with those two in there. The stoke game is the opportunity for kenny to play them together and if they do well then he can say they deserve a run. Also Downing needs to be dropped. he's not in the team on merit. I'd have like to have seen Aurelio on the bench yesterday too. he's one who could deliver a great ball for carroll late in a game. Team for next week should be Reina, GJ, Skrtel, Agger, enrique, lucas, adam, gerrard, suarez, bellamy, carroll 4231.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful subs from Kenny. It's becoming a worry that he doesn't seem to know how to change a game through making subs. Yesterday he just ruined any flow we had in the second half with his changes. As bad as Downing was, if you're bringing on Carroll you have to leave the probable supply line on the pitch.

His obssession with 442 is also beginning to annoy. We don't have the midfield (especially in the centre) to play this way so why persevere?

It doesn't feel right having a go at Kenny but there's some pretty simple stuff that he's not sorting out on the pitch at the moment.

Norwich were terrible. I hadn't seen anything of them this year and was expecting something more consiering their league position. As it was, they were there for the taking. It's just we have a set of strikers who need far more chances than should be necessary at this level. After all the money we've spent I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to be further along the road to challenging for the top spots than we are.

Does Arsenal or Everton not count then?

Sad to say, this was (despite the numerous chances) not very good at all and a number of alarm bells were ringing for me yesterday. The chances created were down to two factors 1] the creativity of Suarez, 2] the impoverishment of Norwich who are a very poor side and will be humiliated later in the season when they tire. Suarez, I feel is a player who will miss a lot of chances, he is not as natural a finisher as Torres, his ability is to create space and room wherever he has the ball on the pitch. However, the team are already depending on him too much and if he has an off day scoring wise, no one else is prepared to step up in his place.

To describe the game yesterday, we started with a lot of possession and Suarez with his trickery and movement kept opening Norwich up. However, the rest of the team were slovenly and static and as soon as Norwich identified our gameplan they began to exploit it, getting on the ball and taking the steam out of the Liverpool attack. The main problem was the midfield. I read someone saying they were askance at Bellamy being withdrawn. I think its something you can only appreciate if you are at the game, because watching hi yesterday he was awful. Rather than operate as a LW, instead he seemed to play like a forward, rarely getting back and spending a lot of time on the last man to take advantage of the ball over the top... problem being there was no room for the ball over the top. Bellamy left Enrique cruelly exposed and had to be withdrawn before a second goal was created down his wing (where Norwich were having a lot of joy exploiting the space he had left behind him).

In the middle of the park, the absence of Lucas was notable. As a player he covers over a lot of weaknesses in the side with his running and grafting. Without him both Gerard and in particular Adam are static and immobile. Norwich players kept dropping into the space in front and behind these two; criminally they were allowed turn and look up, giving Norwich a breather and forcing Liverpool to drop off. Only one person was trying to press the opposition, that was Kuyt, who gave his usual all action, limited ability performance. The difference when a fully fit Gerrard is in the side, Meireles was in the side or Lucas is in the side, was mobility and pressing. Its not about tackles, its about giving the opposition time on the ball to do damage. Gerrard and Adam barely pressed. Adam was utterly, utterly anemic yesterday. He offered next to nothing in the midfield yesterday and should have been subbed first for Spearing. How he managed to stay on the full game is beyond me. Off the ball he barely made a tackle, didn't press once, was always five or 10 yards away from the play and only offered himself as an outlet. On the ball he did little as well, as short pass to Gerrard or a trundling run down a blind alley. No incisive passing, dangerous play or dead eye delivery. In fact he hardly took a corner or free all day. The goal for Norwich was a result of one of those trundling runs where he knocked the ball too far ahead, fell over looking for a free, Norwich picked up the ball, played it to the wing where Bellamy was missing, 2 on 1 on Enrique (who didn't do that well yesterday, but had so few options and cover it was ridiculous) a decent delivery into the box where Reina cam and lost the ball. A litany of errors, but starting with awful play by Adam.

The defense was pretty weak yesterday as well. The nervousness of the crowd all game was evident, you always felt 2 goals were needed since we were bound to concede 1. Johnson was a mess at RB, missing tackle and balls, he was craven at time yesterday, though I suppose just being back from injury he was bound to be a little fragile mentally and physically. Carragher was bullied by two very physical forwards and it was up to Skrtel (who I thought had a splendid game) to fight for every ball. One classic moment saw Skrtel flatten one of the Norwich forwards, only for his buddy to try a sneaky charge into Skrtel's back... off of which he bounced to the ground. Skrtel just strolled forward leaving bodies strewn on the ground in his wake. He was the the strong man in the back four all day. Enrique was caught in possession too much and was slow to the ball. The problem being that his outlets were limited; Adam was hiding and Bellamy too far advanced.

The subs when they came were just odd. Bellamy was taken off (rightly I felt), Henderson came on and Downing went right. Henderson was abysmal, running all over the pitch, chasing the ball like a brainless terrier. When Kuyt plays his effort is focused, specific to a particular role. Henderson at one point ran fully over to LB and looked up to see if he coul find himself on the right wing. He ran up front, he ran into the middle, he ran into the backline... poor discipline and football intelligence, he has a long way to go. Agger coming was inexplicable unless it was for match fitness. Downing coming off after Carroll came on was also odd. Downing hadn't a great game, but his options on the ball were so limited. Adam and Gerrard were glued to the center circle and Downing could either pass it to Johnson or hoof it into the middle where Suarez and Kuyt were surrounded by 8 players. We are, again, just not getting numbers in the box.

Overall, I think there is a schizophrenic feel to the team. Half look like they would prefer to be playing 451/433 the other half look more comfortable playing 442. Having rid the team of the Hodgson personnel, there is still definitely the shadow of Benitez hanging over the side. The key performers in the team are still from that era and still look to play in a Benitez way. It's worrying to realise that £50 million worth of players started on the bench yesterday and the others that were brought in looked so out of form yesterday. The game was akin to Stoke and Sunderland, a lot of chances but a poor result as teams take advantage of the weaknesses in the side. There could be a few more games like this this year, until Dlaglish figures out how to mould the team he has into a coherent side.... he would be helped in this by a more dynamic midfield and I feel Adam must be removed from the side asap... even if that does have the unfortunate consequence of leaving Carroll, Henderson and Adam on the bench...

Some people are not happy unless they have a scapegoat. It used to be Danny Murphy back in the day. Then it was Carragher when he played at right back, was slaughtered for not getting forward enough. He converted to centre half and we all know how that turned out (initially). Then attention diverted to Lucas who, in my opinion, has now done more than enough to no longer be seen as the scapegoat and deserving of the criticism he gets.

So, who does that leave as the scapegoat? Okay, so back to Carragher it is. Granted, he hasn't had the best season and I have concerns about his decreasing ability to get to where he needs to be quick enough to make those famous last ditch tackles. Also, his distribution could be better.

However, I have the feeling that if Henry went bankrupt tomorrow, some fans would blame Carragher for this too.

I think he's been wrongly singled out for the goal yesterday. If anything, two players are a lot more culpable than Carragher was - Reina and Enrique.

Reina came off his line. Rashly. Anybody who knows about football, in particular goalkeeping, would know that Reina would have shouted that it was his ball. When this shout went out, Carragher and Johnson would have stopped, just for a slight second, as they thought their keeper was going to get the ball. This allowed Holt to get just slightly ahead of them and, as Reina didn't get the ball, Holt was free to head the ball into an unguarded net.

Enrique. He didn't bust a gut to get over to the right midfielder to prevent him for putting the cross in for the goal. When he did get over, he was too far away and he just hung a leg out, not making the best of efforts to stop the cross. Also, after the goal, Norwich almost scored again with a header. Enrique's marking for this attempt was poor. He let the player just walk in, unmarked, in front of him to have a free header at goal.

I don't like to make scapegoats - especially when any other day we would have won that game about 4 or 5 - 1 but for some resolute defending, a good goalkeeping performance and some poor finishing - however, everybody seems to want to blame Carragher when ignoring the fact that other players were a lot more culpable in the goal conceded and the overall dropping of points.

Some people are not happy unless they have a scapegoat. It used to be Danny Murphy back in the day. Then it was Carragher when he played at right back, was slaughtered for not getting forward enough. He converted to centre half and we all know how that turned out (initially). Then attention diverted to Lucas who, in my opinion, has now done more than enough to no longer be seen as the scapegoat and deserving of the criticism he gets.

So, who does that leave as the scapegoat? Okay, so back to Carragher it is. Granted, he hasn't had the best season and I have concerns about his decreasing ability to get to where he needs to be quick enough to make those famous last ditch tackles. Also, his distribution could be better.

However, I have the feeling that if Henry went bankrupt tomorrow, some fans would blame Carragher for this too.

I think he's been wrongly singled out for the goal yesterday. If anything, two players are a lot more culpable than Carragher was - Reina and Enrique.

Reina came off his line. Rashly. Anybody who knows about football, in particular goalkeeping, would know that Reina would have shouted that it was his ball. When this shout went out, Carragher and Johnson would have stopped, just for a slight second, as they thought their keeper was going to get the ball. This allowed Holt to get just slightly ahead of them and, as Reina didn't get the ball, Holt was free to head the ball into an unguarded net.

Enrique. He didn't bust a gut to get over to the right midfielder to prevent him for putting the cross in for the goal. When he did get over, he was too far away and he just hung a leg out, not making the best of efforts to stop the cross. Also, after the goal, Norwich almost scored again with a header. Enrique's marking for this attempt was poor. He let the player just walk in, unmarked, in front of him to have a free header at goal.

I don't like to make scapegoats - especially when any other day we would have won that game about 4 or 5 - 1 but for some resolute defending, a good goalkeeping performance and some poor finishing - however, everybody seems to want to blame Carragher when ignoring the fact that other players were a lot more culpable in the goal conceded and the overall dropping of points.

it's not about finding a scapegoat it's about fixing the problem of us conceding a goal from very few chances this season. carra has been a constant in the team so far, maybe he is the weak link.

I just want to see kenny admit we're not as good defensively as we should be by trying a different cb pairing.

Arsenal perhaps. His subs in the derby were like for like changes I thought.

I'm talking about spotting something that's not working or can be exploited on the pitch and then making changes.

Yesterday, he spotted that Downing was shite on the right and moved him to the left when he brought Henderson on. Presumably the withdrawal of Bellamy was due to a fitness concern, since that was his first league start this season and we have to take care with his knees.

He then spotted that Downing was still not working on the left, and went to three up front with Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll and a midfield three of Adam, Gerrard and Henderson.

When this denied us any width, he went to three at the back to push the fullbacks on.

We finished the game much more brightly than we had spent the first half hour of the second half. Ok, the subs did not win us the game, but to say that you don't appreciate what he was doing, or that they were not made to correct inadequacies on the pitch, implies a lack of understanding of what he did do and why.

That goal was a shambles on so many levels - giving the ball away in midfield, not stopping the cross, centre backs getting bullied, and a shite decision by Pepe. Fair play to Norwich though - they nailed the cross and header perfectly.

If there is to be a scapegoat though, it's Adam.. He can't play in a 2 man centre midfield. He's a massive liability.. Slow, doesn't track back. Gerrard had to baby sit him.

Downing was also shockingly bad.

Kuyt started well but faded. However, our midfield create fuck all for the forwards.

We need to get Gerrard close to Suarez and get them linking up.

People slagging Gerrard make me want to cry.

Useless, clueless, cunts

I thought he had a very disciplined game and looked quite the quarterback at times. Considering that many have questioned in the past whether he could play there, I found it quite encouraging for his latter years, which must inevitably come sooner rather than later.

Yesterday, he spotted that Downing was shite on the right and moved him to the left when he brought Henderson on. Presumably the withdrawal of Bellamy was due to a fitness concern, since that was his first league start this season and we have to take care with his knees.

He then spotted that Downing was still not working on the left, and went to three up front with Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll and a midfield three of Adam, Gerrard and Henderson.

When this denied us any width, he went to three at the back to push the fullbacks on.

We finished the game much more brightly than we had spent the first half hour of the second half. Ok, the subs did not win us the game, but to say that you don't appreciate what he was doing, or that they were not made to correct inadequacies on the pitch, implies a lack of understanding of what he did do and why.

I thought we played 442 all match. I did have a few more than usual beforehand but Henderson was without a doubt on the right when he came on. And I understand enough about the game to know they were poor changes in any case. Wasn't anyone near me who could understand the Downing one. Or Henderson coming on when you've got a far better player in Maxi also on the bench.

At this point though its fairly obvious the things that are wrong,

1. Not enough chances being converted

2. Midfield leaving huge gaps between them and the backline(but maybe thats the fault of the defence for sitting so deep)

3. And the inevitable goal we look certain to concede every fucking game from the one chance the opposition actually gets.

I think if we sort those problems we'll finish 4th without a shadow of a doubt. Continue to let those problems fester and we won't.

I thought we played 442 all match. I did have a few more than usual beforehand but Henderson was without a doubt on the right when he came on.

Yes, he did, but then when we withdrew Downing he tucked inside more and we played three up top. Have another look if you doubt me.

As for 4-4-2 all match, where did you think Agger played in injury time?

You can question his subs by all means, but at least do it from a position of knowing what he had in mind.

I thought he had a very disciplined game and looked quite the quarterback at times. Considering that many have questioned in the past whether he could play there, I found it quite encouraging for his latter years, which must inevitably come sooner rather than later.

he did nothing yesterday that would make me think Gerrard should play centre midfield every week. definitely belongs in the three behind a front man

he did nothing yesterday that would make me think Gerrard should play centre midfield every week. definitely belongs in the three behind a front man

He definitely belonged there in his prime, and perhaps he does now, but will he always have the legs for it? If we want to extend his career, then at some point he will have to take a less energetic role, and it seems to me that we are thinking in advance on that one.

As for doing nothing to recommend him in midfield, I can't believe we watched the same game. Do you expect the same game from him in that position as when he's further forward perhaps?

Does Arsenal or Everton not count then?

Look at what you are writing here Robbie?

Arsenal and Everton, two games where our opposition were reduced to 10 men.

Against Arsenal both Meireles and Suarez should have been brought on at half time because Arsenal were really there for the taking but the pedestrian team we started with managed to create fuck all, the game was screaming out for both of them still nothing happened before we had played 70 minutes and Arsenal were reduced to 10 men, there is no way possible that game could be used as an argument about using subs the right way even if the result got right.

Against Everton they were reduced to 10 men after 23 minutes, still we waited until the 67th minute before we made changes. Gerrard would always come on at some time and people would argue that Bellamy with his pace should have been introduced far earlier for a struggling Downing against a 10 men Everton.

Apart from the fact that he's the best central midfield player in the country

But yeah, stick that fucking flid Lucas in there. We'll boss the league.

he's the best central midfield player in the country yet he has hardly ever actually played there? and the odd time he does play there the same old debate rumbles on. Gerrard is at his best with two central midfielders behind him so he can do whatever he wants.

_56225048_56225047.jpg

That's me behind Holt's right hand. His celebration was fucking cringeworthy, slapping his forearm like some retarded junkie.

The lad behind me managed to hit him with something like chewing gum, which was a pretty good shot.

Edited by Rafiagra
Embedding fail