You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We kind of have one of those already in Maxi, who always looks good when we have a ton of possession. But he doesn't get a look in this season.

I think it's fair to say that no-one is perfect, and ending up with Kuyt wide left while chasing the game points to poor substitutions from Kenny.

Hence my point.

Are we really that much better than the side that won 5-2 v Fulham?

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the money spent we should be. Given the players we've bought no we're not.

Exactly, and that is the most disappointing thing.

The squad maybe stronger, but the hunger, desire and bizarrely quality that we had just isn't there. It wasn't perfect last season but if you ask me would I rather us play the squad from Fulham against West Brom, or the side from today....

I think the money thats been spent and the players that its been spent on is a debate that will rage for a while yet.

But in reality, it is too early to tell. There has been many cases(in world football) of players being bought, looking shite for a year or two and then suddenly blossoming into good quality players.

I honestly don't know what to think in the case of our lads, I think Downing has been solid but not terribly impressive, Henderson has had glimpses of real quality but looks clueless at times, Adam has been good by enlarge but he does have obvious flaws, Enrique and Bellamy look like the best deals we've done.

Enrique looks like a top player, Bellamy is very effective and the little he has played has made us look alot more threatening.

And then theres Andy, I think deep down theres a top player in there. I don't care what anyone says. But right now, he just seems utterly ineffective, I think partly because of him and partly because of the style of football we are playing.

At the end of the day though, the reason we didn't win tonight was wasted chances and conceding an almost destined to be equalizer once again.

Forget the money we've spent for now, we simply have to fix the issues with the defence and get the team scoring. At the end of the season is when we should judge the players we've bought.

Massively frustrated at the game but a bit calmer now & seeing more of the positives. We tore them to shreds at times & it could have been 5 or 6. Some of the misses were absolutely unbelievable.

There are some issues though & the fact that we have conceded the last goal in every home game this season is worrying. Is it a mental or fitness thing I wonder ?

I feel it's difficult to lay blame today, really.

We created enough chances to win by a huge margin, and you can hardly fault the style of football, Kenny can only encourage the players to attack these teams, which he clearly has, and which we have done, creating more chances so far than i can remember us doing for the entire 10/11 season. It's bizarre that we didnt win 5-1 today.

I have a couple of questions regarding the subtistutions though. Why was Bellamy taken off, he had looked far more dangerous than Kuyt or Downing IMO. And why was not Carroll brought on earlier ?

I understand Kenny wants to give Henderson match time and experience which will develop him as a player and benefit both him and us in the long run, but not at the cost of points, which in hindsight it might have done today.

What the fuck did carra do wrong today? Bunch of mongs who are critising him, peep was a fault for the goal, pretty fuckin obvious.

Carra was caught on his heels for their goal, he should never allow Holt to win that header as clean as he did, but Pepe was the one most at fault obviously.

Guest San Don

Too many fucking moaners calling themselves Liverpool fans imo. Anfield had its fair share of them tonight. Moaning from the first kick to the last. If you dont like it, then just fuck off and let someone who get behind the team have your place.

I thought we played some good football tonight and on another night wcould have won 3 or 4 -1.

Coming out of Anfield, I heard fans complaining about the King. Well, they can all just fuck off as far as Im concerned. This is 2011 not 1986. Times have changed. We have a lot more work than just spending money to get back to the top but some fans just think its a question of spending money.

Played well and simply didn't get the rub of the green.

Fractions of an inch. That's the difference between winning and losing. Another keeper comes to Anfield and plays out of his skin.

Having said that, Carroll really should have put his header in the last few minutes away.

Not impressed as yet with Andy. I do hope he sorts himself out soon.

Too many fucking moaners calling themselves Liverpool fans imo. Anfield had its fair share of them tonight. Moaning from the first kick to the last. If you dont like it, then just fuck off and let someone who get behind the team have your place.

I thought we played some good football tonight and on another night wcould have won 3 or 4 -1.

Coming out of Anfield, I heard fans complaining about the King. Well, they can all just fuck off as far as Im concerned. This is 2011 not 1986. Times have changed. We have a lot more work than just spending money to get back to the top but some fans just think its a question of spending money.

It's the way football's gone now, mate. People assume the whole 'Sky Generation' breed of fan is exclusive to those who grew up with their coverage of the Premiership, but it's just exacerbated the views and expectations of the mongs who watched football in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

At the Goodison derby, some fella- a Scouser as well, not an OOTer, before anybody asks- was stood about two rows down from me and thought nothing of calling Dalglish a wanker and a knobhead at the start of the second half because Gerrard and Bellamy weren't on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, we're far from perfect and there are three or four positions I would like addressed as soon as possible, but the amount of constructive criticism you hear from people after the match in the boozers or on the forums is certainly in short supply. It doesn't do anybody any good at all.

We kind of have one of those already in Maxi, who always looks good when we have a ton of possession. But he doesn't get a look in this season.

I think it's fair to say that no-one is perfect, and ending up with Kuyt wide left while chasing the game points to poor substitutions from Kenny.

It's a mystery this. Kuyt was shocking up front - he wasn't any more ineffective when he was on the left. He shouldn't have been playing. Maxi must be playing like a cunt in training not to get that shirt.

I hope kenny takes the bull by the horns after that. get people who can play with Suarez, around Suarez. I would have Henderson in cm, maxi on right, and Gerrard playing just off Suarez. Bellamy and downing can fight for the left side.

Worth a try.

Just got back from the game and I'm half pissed so you may have to cut me a bit of slack here. I apologise in advance..

Shit result, better than average performance. But fuck me, only just.

Absolutely frustrating as fuck this team aren't they?

How many times did we hit the woodwork? I counted at least four.

How many chances did the forwards lash a foot wide of the post? Again, I reckon at least four.

This is quite patently fucking ridiculous.

So we've dropped another two points. A pathetic, shameful fucking waste.

The absolute burning disappointment completely outweighs any fucking plus points you can take from this game. It's beyond a fucking joke now.

The approach play is there. The possession stats and chances created will probably bear this out but what fucking good is it if your forwards are pathologically incapable of hitting the fucking target?

We simply can't afford to have quite so many players having below par games.

Gerrard was as wasteful as I've ever seen him in possession, (although fuck knows it's virtually impossible to criticise the lad when you considers his circumstances), Adam simply needs to work fucking harder, I understand that conserving energy is an important part of any professional athletes itinerary but for Christ's sake take the fucking six or so steps that will give your team-mate another option to fucking pass to you lazy cunt and close the fucking opposing player down while your at it. We know who you're supposed to be fucking marking so I presume you fucking do too. Start doing it.

And as sloppy as Kuyt was when receiving possession, I absolutely refuse to criticise the lad when you put in as solid a shift as I've seen from any player on the pitch in a very long time. He was there, he gave us options, he did what he does. Job fucking done. He'll never be my favourite player but neither will he get any criticism as long as he does his job as well as that.

Downing? Jesus fucking Christ? Where do you start? A performance at right wing as fucking inept as any I've witnessed at Anfield in years. So poor on every conceivable level that a part of me feels that it's simply got to be some sort of fucking protest at being played on the right. It's fucking obvious that him and Enrique are a superb combination on the left but if Kenny wants you to play on the right to accommodate Bellamy then at least try to get the very basics of the game right. You're a fucking professional footballer. Try and fucking look like one when the ESPN cameras are in, alright?

Last point now 'cos I'm fucking rambling and I'm sorry..

But referees. Just because Suarez will sometimes go down too easily you can't fucking extrapolate from that that every time he goes down it wasn't a foul. That's bullshit.

I know it's his own fault and that he made Atkinson look a fool in the derby but it simply isn't fair to punish him by never awarding him another foul no matter how fucking blatant it is. We had this shit when N'gog dived against Brum two years ago and then we never got another fucking penalty for months afterwards. Sometimes, it'll be a foul on him, sometimes it won't. Use your fucking eyes and your brain. That's your fucking job.

Don't get me wrong. This wasn't a shit performance. We hit the post too many times to call it that. Defensively we were mostly ok, the midfield were mostly ok, the forwards were insanely wasteful but mostly ok.

Against an opposition as limited as that, (skill wise and ambition wise), we should be taking our chances, and a Dalglish team should expect the criticism that comes.

It's simply not fucking good enough. Every player on that pitch should know that.

We're Liverpool FC and a performance like that will never be fucking acceptable.

Gerrard was as wasteful as I've ever seen him in possession, (although fuck knows it's virtually impossible to criticise the lad when you considers his circumstances), Adam simply needs to work fucking harder, I understand that conserving energy is an important part of any professional athletes itinerary but for Christ's sake take the fucking six or so steps that will give your team-mate another option to fucking pass to you lazy cunt and close the fucking opposing player down while your at it. We know who you're supposed to be fucking marking so I presume you fucking do too. Start doing it.

And as sloppy as Kuyt was when receiving possession, I absolutely refuse to criticise the lad when you put in as solid a shift as I've seen from any player on the pitch in a very long time. He was there, he gave us options, he did what he does. Job fucking done. He'll never be my favourite player but neither will he get any criticism as long as he does his job as well as that.

Totally agree with this about these three players.

Although I don't think Kuyt was that wasteful, he had a few moments, but he also held the ball up extremely well at times and does at least link up with Suarez, unlike Carroll.

Last point now 'cos I'm fucking rambling and I'm sorry..

But referees. Just because Suarez will sometimes go down too easily you can't fucking extrapolate from that that every time he goes down it wasn't a foul. That's bullshit.

I know it's his own fault and that he made Atkinson look a fool in the derby but it simply isn't fair to punish him by never awarding him another foul no matter how fucking blatant it is. We had this shit when N'gog dived against Brum two years ago and then we never got another fucking penalty for months afterwards. Sometimes, it'll be a foul on him, sometimes it won't. Use your fucking eyes and your brain. That's your fucking job.

Excellent post. If that's you pissed then you must be as eloquent as Stephen Fry when sober!

Anyway, regarding Suarez. I'm afraid its open season on him now for a while. he's going to get kicked from pillar to post and maybe get 1 in 10 decisions until someone else is flavour of the month.

Had to listen to commentary on TalkShite with Collymore & Matterface creaming themselves when Norwich scored and trotted out their well rehearsed, I'm sure, "Norwich no turkeys" and "Bootifull goal, bootifull"

Aaaaarrgghhhh.

even if we were converting 1/6 attempts that would only be disguising the fact that we are conceding 1/2 chances at the other end.

big decision needs to be made ahead of the next game

I think both are equally as important. Strikers need to start fucking scoring.

And our defenders need a rocket up their arse too. Its as simple as that. Both sides of the pitch have their responsibilities.