You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Opposition fans?

Seriously?

I interpreted "working" as having an effect on, y'know, the football. My bad.

Lazy kissarse journalists and borderline retarded sub-Brummies can think what they like, surely?

Love Kenny's whole tone; "do you think WE give a tiny rat's arse about what YOU think?"

Never into the whole Hodgson flogadeadhorsathon, but imagine him being asked about Suarez; "we know there are elements of his game that need to be ewadicated" etc

I can't be arsed about accusations of falling over because he does fall over sometimes. I often wonder if players like that are undoing some of the great work they do and are possibly losing focus.

He reminds me so much of Beardsley, who used to get kicked a fair bit too but just seemed to have tunnel vision and concerned only with the ball and what to do with it the next time we get it.

Messi takes the odd tumble but nothing too bad; I thinks that's the level Luis is heading for and when he gets there I'll guarantee he'll be taking far fewer tumbles.

This could work out well for him.

Suarez and especially Carroll get booed where ever we go. Now, with the country being full of biffs who garner their news and intellect from the Daily Star, the s*n and talksport, I can see why they'll boo Suarez given the disgraceful press that he gets. But why Carroll? What has he done to anyone? He gets roasted everywhere he goes.

He cost 35 million and hasn't set the world alight yet, therefore an easy target if you are a bit of a meff.

There is definitely a bit of momentum in the sports media to target Suarez since Ferguson labelled him as a diver. And it's not just The Mirror. It was evident in the BBC commentary on the Stoke game, and the match reports I've read regarding the penalty. It's all little comments like he "didn't dive... ...this time", etc.

And it's evidently working judging by the reaction of opposition fans, who boo him just for being on the pitch. Fucking horrible Little Englander mentality. I'd like to see our players and management pull interviewers about it.

There is no momentum build up. You give Ferguson's influence way, way too much credence if you're suggesting he can sway the mind of a nation. Suarez had a reputation for diving long before Ferguson mentioned it a week ago and it's not without substance either. He goes to ground far too easily on occasion.

Yesterday's penalty was a prime example of the flipside to this though, a blatant penalty not given by the ref (I am assuming he saw it).

And it's not a little Englander thing either. The English football folk have long had major issues with diving - rightly or wrongly - and put it down to the influx of foreigners. And they are right in my view. But it's now prevalent among all players, English or otherwise - witness Downing's theatrics against Utd. A joke.

The best thing Suarez can do it give the people no ammunition and he'll do himself a favour also by actually getting awarded stonewallers like yesterday.

That's bollocks, Major Tom.

There's players who dive far more and don't get the grief he does.

Nobody cares about those players though because they are not among the best players in the world. Suarez obviously doesn't care about all this, so neither do I.

The press are going to write the easy, lazy stories. More often than not about us, just because people want to read about us. So, let the shit-storm continue, because the alternative would be sticking the boot in on Carroll and Downing and those two are probably far less inured to these kind of vindictive sideshows.

And while we are at, he should continue to dive until the way the game is run stops rewarding diving. There's absolutely no point taking the moral high ground and putting yourself at a disadvantage in a game where margins are fractions of percentages. Be judicious, sure, but don't hamstring yourself.

And while we are at, he should continue to dive until the way the game is run stops rewarding diving. There's absolutely no point taking the moral high ground and putting yourself at a disadvantage in a game where margins are fractions of percentages. Be judicious, sure, but don't hamstring yourself.

Quite.

Until they start giving penalties for fouls which don't end up with someone lying on the ground, expect dives.

Agree with that. Sometimes players are obviously able to stay on their feet but their progress/momentum has been impeded and the only way to win a foul is fall to the floor. But choose your battles and as you rightly say, be judicious.

There is no momentum build up. You give Ferguson's influence way, way too much credence if you're suggesting he can sway the mind of a nation. Suarez had a reputation for diving long before Ferguson mentioned it a week ago and it's not without substance either. He goes to ground far too easily on occasion.

The cunt has been doing it for years. He has a huge influence and practically anytime he opens his mouth with an opinion its all over the backpages. Thats part and parcel of him being so succesful though.

But I think that quite easily lets him sway the mind of the nation considering a sizeable amount of people form their opinions on the basis of what they read in the rags.

If tomorrow morning Fergie came out and said Suarez touches kiddies, half the country would fucking believe it.

There is no momentum build up. You give Ferguson's influence way, way too much credence if you're suggesting he can sway the mind of a nation.

I know where Anubis is coming from, although like you say it's a fair bit more complex than it seems on the surface. There is a bit of a cowardly pack mentality in the british press and often when something is legitimized by someone like ferguson, the pack will abandon all balance and descend into the kind of feeding frenzy we're seeing now. Pathetic really.

Has anyone used the line 'Earth control to Major Tom' line yet? (any smart arse who says Bowie is getting negged).

There are loads of players who dive more than Suarez. He doesn't actually dive, he just tends to throw his arms up and make a big deal when he's fouled. He's theatrical, but I don't remember actually seeing him 'dive'.

Definitely Ashley Young, no doubt about it at all. His completely blatant dive in the trashing by City went without any comment from any pundit, media or anyone else.

I agree with this, I said in the Man Utd thread that his first half 'performance' against us was possibly the worst 45 minutes of diving I had ever seen. Martin Kelly even looked embarrassed for him at one point.

Has anyone used the line 'Earth control to Major Tom' line yet? (any smart arse who says Bowie is getting negged).

There are loads of players who dive more than Suarez. He doesn't actually dive, he just tends to throw his arms up and make a big deal when he's fouled. He's theatrical, but I don't remember actually seeing him 'dive'.

I agree, however theatrical can be seen in some circles (with an agenda) as diving. I have no problems with Suarez and his way of playing. And Dalglish did the same as he always does, cut the crap, get the decision, and get on with it. He was like that when he played for us, he was like that as the manager back then, and he has not changed.

Ground control to Major Tom, you musical halfwit.

Stick to Westlife.

Know your Bowie! Earth control indeed.

It depends on your definition of dive. If you mean fall to the floor with no contact, not many players do that, that often. I am really referring to the fact he makes the most of any contact. And I am not really sure how that can be argued with. He does! Lots of other players do it also but Suarez is prominent among them. As Piscinin said earlier, it's a necessity to do so to draw a free kick but he has to choose his moments.