You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Look i agree the ban is too long, that Suarez is not a racist, that Evra is a cunt. Basically I am a little annoyed and disappointed that Suarez got himself in this position to begin with, and this make him a SAINT stuff dosn't wash with me.

I don't want to make Suarez a saint either.

Indeed, like Evra, he probably has some cunt in him too.

To my knowledge, though, there's no law against being a cunt.

Your disappointment is with Suarez getting himself into this position, mine is with the FA taking sides and making an example of one of the "cunts".

Far from making anyone a saint, I'd just rather cunts were given a fair deal.

I agree with you in kind, but regards racism in football he should know, you wont convince me otherwise.

Fair enough, it will be interesting then to see what Evra said in Spanish to Suarez and whether there are any racist overtones or any general abuse in that.

Shocked and disguested by this decision.

Suarez has been given 14 days to appeal but according to the LFC statement they are still awaiting the findings put together by the FA panal. If this is the case then Suarez does not have 14 days to review, he has as much time as the FA take to get this information out. is that right?

Also what is the most he could get for the fulham incident 3 games? which could be a total of 11 game ban?

Fuck me.

This may have already been answered but we have 14 days from the time the findings are presented.

The club needs to fight not for a reduction in the ban but a total removal of any punishment.

The FA really are a snide bunch of fuckwits.

And what frustrates me so much is the thousands of retards with their hairy palms and knuckles scraping the pavements, reading their tabloids and proclaiming "he called him negro/negrito, that's racist" without any smidgeon of knowledge of the intricacies of the cultural differences, the translations etc.

Stitch up from start to finish.

I had to have a 24hr ECG fitted yesterday morning, and the doctor will study the results today. Don't know what he'll make when he gets to last night around half seven or so. "Mr R, from these results it looks as though you'll be dead by New Year".

Mackie banned for racist remarks

reddit this

Staff and agencies

guardian.co.uk, Friday 28 February 2003 10.43 GMT

Article history

Reading defender John Mackie has been banned for three matches and fined £1,500 by the Football Association after admitting making racist remarks to Sheffield United striker Carl Asaba.

Mackie pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and abusive and/or insulting words to an opponent at a hearing at the FA's Soho Square headquarters.

The charge related to an incident during the Division One match at the Madejski Stadium on December 14 last year, which United won 2-0.

His ban will start on March 17 and rule him out of the away games at Ipswich and Bradford and the home clash with Preston.

The FA have also taken steps to deter Mackie from transgressing again. Another five-match ban and a further £1,500 fine will be suspended until the end of next season.

An FA spokesman said: "In the event of a similar incident before that date, this additional suspension would be activated with immediate effect."

I think the bit in the Echo article that highlights the 'editing' of Evra's statement is also disgraceful, and certainly suggests a stich up.

He said he called him a Nigger, 10 times, so therefore if that is not the case then surely his evidence should be discounted? This looks like they have heared what Luis said, and asked Evra to change his statement to provide consistency with their judgement!

We should be making more of this, if that is the case then that is absolutely scandalous.

I agree.

When the heat dies down, and cool heads prevail, Ayres, our PR Department and our legal team are going to come under some scrutiny regrading their effctiveness.

This may have already been answered but we have 14 days from the time the findings are presented.

The club needs to fight not for a reduction in the ban but a total removal of any punishment.

The FA really are a snide bunch of fuckwits.

And what frustrates me so much is the thousands of retards with their hairy palms and knuckles scraping the pavements, reading their tabloids and proclaiming "he called him negro/negrito, that's racist" without any smidgeon of knowledge of the intricacies of the cultural differences, the translations etc.

Stitch up from start to finish.

I had to have a 24hr ECG fitted yesterday morning, and the doctor will study the results today. Don't know what he'll make when he gets to last night around half seven or so. "Mr R, from these results it looks as though you'll be dead by New Year".

What makes it better is that a load of these people will be Mail / Sun readers who watch Top Gear and chortle at Clarkson's finely tuned brand of genuinely nasty bigotry without batting an eyelid.

I just wonder how many of these so-called journalists or members of the 'independant' panel have actually lived in a foreign country and had to learn a foreign language on the go? Yes, you can perhaps get the basics of a language but the nuances of a language, as well as the various elements of slang within any language can only be learnt properly once in the country and through a fucking lot of trial and error, i.e. putting your foot in it over and over again.

Let alone knowing a word in your own tongue may be offensive to a guy speaking another language in a country with yet another language.

8 games? Fuck off.

Nice to see our persecution complex is in full swing. It appears that the only person that bears absolutely no responsibility for this is Suarez himself. Bottom line is he chose to introduce a racial slur into a heated situation with Evra. We buy into the 'cultural misunderstanding' far too readily in truth.

Yes the FA are **** operating with a wider agenda, yes it's a disproportionate pumishment, yes Evra's evidence is questionable, I wouldn't disagree with anyone but honestly, Suarez doesn't bear even the slightest bit of responsbility?

Personally, ever since he made it clear the circumstance that he used the word the inevitability of him being found guilty has been pretty clear. The club has handled the situation poorly especially the daft statement they put out last night.

Nice to see our persecution complex is in full swing. It appears that the only person that bears absolutely no responsibility for this is Suarez himself. Bottom line is he chose to introduce a racial slur into a heated situation with Evra. We buy into the 'cultural misunderstanding' far too readily in truth.

Yes the FA are **** operating with a wider agenda, yes it's a disproportionate pumishment, yes Evra's evidence is questionable, I wouldn't disagree with anyone but honestly, Suarez doesn't bear even the slightest bit of responsbility?

Personally, ever since he made it clear the circumstance that he used the word the inevitability of him being found guilty has been pretty clear. The club has handled the situation poorly especially the daft statement they put out last night.

You appear to have made a cultural misunderstanding. Not to worry.

Mackie banned for racist remarks

reddit this

Staff and agencies

guardian.co.uk, Friday 28 February 2003 10.43 GMT

Article history

Reading defender John Mackie has been banned for three matches and fined £1,500 by the Football Association after admitting making racist remarks to Sheffield United striker Carl Asaba.

Mackie pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and abusive and/or insulting words to an opponent at a hearing at the FA's Soho Square headquarters.

The charge related to an incident during the Division One match at the Madejski Stadium on December 14 last year, which United won 2-0.

His ban will start on March 17 and rule him out of the away games at Ipswich and Bradford and the home clash with Preston.

The FA have also taken steps to deter Mackie from transgressing again. Another five-match ban and a further £1,500 fine will be suspended until the end of next season.

An FA spokesman said: "In the event of a similar incident before that date, this additional suspension would be activated with immediate effect."

Needs highlighting that

Go back to redcafe you boring twat.

I disagree with pretty much everything in your post. You seem to have totally missed the main point about him calling him Negrito but it not being used as a racist slur which Evra himself has actually admitted to in his evidence.

The "draft" statement that Liverpool put out was far from a "draft" - it was well thoughtout and covered every single issue that Liverpool Football Club had with the verdict.

:yes:

Indeed, how would Barry Hall go in the EPL, eh mate?

Now that you mention it, he should have just 'Barry'd' him. Probably would've copped a lesser ban and only been branded a standard Rooney-variety thug.

YouTube 'barry hall brent staker' haha

Mate, I think you'll find the so-called persecution complex comes from the bit of your post I've emboldened.

This is a mess. Like most Reds I am aghast at how this has unfolded.

FSG will be receiving digital copies of today’s back pages with alarm. Questions will be asked.

Unless something dramatic emerges from the detailed adjudication, this appears to hinge on semantic and cultural linguistic usage. The howls of protest from our support appear justified, so what has gone wrong? Have the FA made a mistake? Are they guilty of wilful bias (pro Manc/ anxious to show anti racist credentials to Blatter/UEFA)? Or have the club mishandled this?

FSG have no football experience. Only one Director, Ayres, is UK domicile, with no previous experience of high profile FA Tribunals. The last time Kenny managed us we had one of the most respected Football Administrators in the game, Peter Robinson, at the helm. Now, there is no-one with experience, contacts, and know-how.

The FA, in Paul Goulding, had one of the top QC’s in the country on this case : “He is ‘a leading silk at the very top of his game.’ His ‘extraordinary eye for detail, technical excellence and strategic mind’ make him ‘the number-one choice for complex, high-profile disputes in the employment field.’ He is renowned for being extremely hard-working and ‘just wants to win for his clients.’ One source adds: ‘He is like a machine. He piles through the work’.” Paul is also ranked in the Sports area and regarded as “one of the go-to practitioners for sports employment cases.” Who was in our team? What direction were they given? Has the club let Luis down?

I am deeply concerned , as FSG will be, that this has the potential to become even more damaging. In the world at large “loyalty, backing, support” for the player, may appear as backing racism. The game at OT is a nightmare with thousands of fan camera phones and dozens of TV cameras in place to pick out “support” for Suarez and abuse for the victim from our travelling support- with the sceptre of further charges.

So how has it come to this? If this hinges on semantics/linguistics, what attempts were made to head this off at the pass, before it escalated? Did the club and player offer an unreserved apology for an unintended offence? Was that rejected? Or were we asleep at the wheel?

At this stage our options are quite limited. As a club we have agreed to be bound by the rules of the tribunal. We can appeal, but are we appealing the decision, or the sentence? If it is the decision we will have to overturn in two weeks something which it has taken the FA two months to arrive at. If it is the sentence, then the odd game or two is neither here nor there.

Last but not least is why the Club have permitted the verdict, but not the adjudication, to be made public? Much of the current outrage is as a result of a bewilderment, that I share that a case that appeared pretty flimsy has been allowed to turn out like this.

Excellent post, it highlights a few thing clearly missed by the club specially when you read the statement below

Taylor also revealed how attempts by his organisation to mediate between Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra failed.

"I didn't want [the case] to escalate, but I wasn't able to get the players together," Taylor said.

In addition to the ban, Suarez has also been fined £40,000. Liverpool have 14 days to make an appeal.

From that statement I'm left feeling very complexed, it only shows we've not got the experience in the club to deal with matter off the field.

The Luis Suarez racism case is "one of the most difficult of modern times", according to former Football Association chief David Davies. (not really it is a case of one cunts word against another mans, when the cunt has lied in his allegation (ten times on camera ffs))

The Liverpool striker has been given an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

"This has been one of the most difficult disciplinary cases of modern times because of language and cultural issues," Davies told BBC Radio 5 live.

"The FA has got to be consistent, but it has also got to be fair."

Former executive director Davies said the FA was "way ahead" of Uefa and Fifa, the European and world governing bodies for football, when it came to tackling racism in football. (HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHHHAHAHAH)

"The FA has been at the forefront of fighting racism over more than a decade, and using football to do so - perhaps way ahead of Uefa, let alone Fifa," (I think that is more of an indictment of how shitty UEFA and FIFA are than how good the FA is) he added.

"Yes, they've got to be consistent (nope), but they've also got to be fair (WRONG) and right (WRONG AGAIN)."

Lord Ouseley, chairman of Kick it Out, football's equality and inclusion campaign, said it did not follow from the guilty verdict that Suarez was a racist but that the FA's decision had to be arrived at on the basis of the comments made.

"All players playing in our jurisdiction know what standards are expected," said Lord Ouseley.

"No-one is saying he's a racist - he's probably a very nice guy. (how fucking condescending does this guy sound He's alleged to have made abusive comments and that's the basis on which [the case] was considered (after the precedent set due to this every player in the PL will be banned for a shit ton of matches."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "It's important that when players come to this country they appreciate that while we are very culturally diverse, very cosmopolitan, that's it's also a job for the PFA and the FA and the clubs themselves to educate them.

"That means not just the rules of the game but what's acceptable as the law of the land, and what isn't acceptable both on and off the pitch. This is about treating people equally." Although some get treated more equally than othersm you know the english ones

Taylor also revealed how attempts by his organisation to mediate between Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra failed.

"I didn't want [the case] to escalate, but I wasn't able to get the players together," (first time I have heard of this why is he only bringing it up now, sounds like the PFA is trying to wipe its hands of any wrongdoing)Taylor said.

In addition to the ban, Suarez has also been fined £40,000. Liverpool have 14 days to make an appeal.