You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

• 10 months later...

Just been going through this thread, and I did have a lot to say for myself didn't I! This bit stood out though, written after the 1-1 draw against Norwich at Anfield last season:

Did anyone else see that little incident near the end where a through-ball was played for Suarez to run onto? The ball was a bit overhit and went through the keeper. Suarez and the defender (Barnett) were both closing in and put the brakes on to avoid a collision with the keeper. Suarez must have nudged Barnett slightly, and put his hand up as a gesture of apology. No big deal. Yet Barnett shoved him away in the same manner that Evra did last weekend. I found it to be needless by Barnett in light of past events, as otherwise there had been no problems. Is this is a sign of Suarez's given reputation (as given by the likes of Ferguson and Evra, for different reasons) beginning to precede him?

The very same Barnett absolutely bulldozed into the back of Suarez at Carrow Road a few weeks ago, somehow avoided conceding a penalty, yet had the gall to have a go at Suarez for 'diving'. Of course, the issue of Suarez diving was the hot topic at the time. Barnett really is a fucking mong who allows the cretins in the media form his opinions for him it seems.

One man accuses another man of being racist. The FA look into it, they go ahead and push charges and the defendant gets banned for 8 games and his reputation is sullied.

One man accuses another man of being racist. The FA look into it, and decide that due to the fact it is all based on the words of one man, the charges are dropped and no further action is taken. The defendant's union demands an apology and compensation.

Evra - Suarez

Clattenburg - Ramires

It really is that fucking simple, and that fucking corrupt.

Yes but Luis admitted saying something which with hindsight made it easy for the FA to find him guilty.

Clattenburg denied saying anything (rightly so).

Lesson to be learned, keep schtum and lawyer up before being interviewed.

The rest of football will have learned from this and as usual LFC are the guinea pigs just like the "respect" campaign.

Yes but Luis admitted saying something which with hindsight made it easy for the FA to find him guilty.

Clattenburg denied saying anything (rightly so).

Lesson to be learned, keep schtum and lawyer up before being interviewed.

The rest of football will have learned from this and as usual LFC are the guinea pigs just like the "respect" campaign.

Indeed. Any attempts to be open, honest, respectful and helpful will only get you dry-bummed.

Welcome to the Premiership.

One man accuses another man of being racist. The FA look into it, they go ahead and push charges and the defendant gets banned for 8 games and his reputation is sullied.

One man accuses another man of being racist. The FA look into it, and decide that due to the fact it is all based on the words of one man, the charges are dropped and no further action is taken. The defendant's union demands an apology and compensation.

Evra - Suarez

Clattenburg - Ramires

It really is that fucking simple, and that fucking corrupt.

The first bit is simple- but not as you present it.

Suarez admitted using a word with reference to anothers’ colour, the Club helpfully confirmed it.

Clattenberg had a word reported by a third party which may have no reference to anothers colour whatsoever.

The implication by some that it is ok to abuse racially so long as you don’t admit it isn’t helpful.

Although the current system of dealing with racial abuse is quite clearly flawed neither LFC, nor CFC, have made any effort to amend and improve that system by formally proposing a revision of the rules.

The issue of how you can, and cannot, abuse an opponent on the field is also unclear. The situation for non native English speakers is, as Suarez discovered, a minefield. Suarez claimed in an interview that he called Johnson a negro all the time in training which raised several other awkward questions. Too much of the defence of Suarez has seemed like an apology for racism and an exercise in “getting him off” (what?). Too little time has been spent in fixing a broken system and dealing on a practical basis with race issues? Why- because its difficult and there is no money in it.

Only Suarez knows what he meant on that day. But I have little doubt that in the heat of a bitter derby, and with insults flying from all directions and all parties, it wasn’t friendly or affectionate- why should it have been? But he was badly let down by the Club who haplessly allowed the incident to become a cause celebre for something it was not.

Corruption? No. Indifference, yes.

The worst part of that clip is that Gerrard fucked up the through ball. Imagine if he's have played it properly and Suarez had ran through and scored.

The anger from bacon face would have resulted in his head exploding on live TV, damn you Stevie, just think how much that would have improved the statue!

The worst part of that clip is that Gerrard fucked up the through ball. Imagine if he's have played it properly and Suarez had ran through and scored.

Thought of this many times, but in my version Ferdinand breaks his neck and Evra fucks his own knee. seconds on the clock played, and they 1-0 down and made 2 subs, the horrible cunts.

That game angers me, everything about it, the fucking mocking/ dancing at the end deserved a boot up his fud.

Only Suarez knows what he meant on that day. But I have little doubt that in the heat of a bitter derby, and with insults flying from all directions and all parties, it wasn’t friendly or affectionate- why should it have been? But he was badly let down by the Club who haplessly allowed the incident to become a cause celebre for something it was not.

Nicely summarised. Would just add that while I agree it wasn't friendly or affectionate another way in which the club/legal represenatatives let him down was by not picking up the crucial point made by the language experts that the phrase doesn't have to be loaded with conciliatory emphasis or the opposite but can be and often is simply a neutral and non perjorative expression. The linguistic principle of which was accepted without hesitation in Evra's defence of his initial 'concha de tu hermana' sledge.

Not so nicely summarised but certainly an illustration of your last point how the club failed to even try to get a grip.

It may not be corruption but there was definitely an element of some dirty dealings in the Suarez/Evra case.

Between the dodgy evidence the mancs were providing being taken completely at face value,

and Evra the bollox being brought in for a trial run and coached through his fucking evidence,

to the numerous clear and constantly ignored gaping holes in the report which despite being fucking highlighted all over the web people still ask for them over and over again.

To me it always be a case of we made a hugh fuck off rod for our own back, but to deny there wasn't some foul play from the Mancs and their bum boys in the FA is bollox. They fucked us in the ass royally.

• 2 weeks later...
It may not be corruption but there was definitely an element of some dirty dealings in the Suarez/Evra case.

Between the dodgy evidence the mancs were providing being taken completely at face value,

and Evra the bollox being brought in for a trial run and coached through his fucking evidence,

to the numerous clear and constantly ignored gaping holes in the report which despite being fucking highlighted all over the web people still ask for them over and over again.

To me it always be a case of we made a hugh fuck off rod for our own back, but to deny there wasn't some foul play from the Mancs and their bum boys in the FA is bollox. They fucked us in the ass royally.

read this before, is their proof that Evra the bitch was advised/ coached over his statement?

Perhaps one of the few token black people in the House of Lords might be better employed highlighting the racism that exists in his own place of shirk. The dishonorable Lord, though, being more concerned with protecting the perks and the platform his peerage affords him, won't go biting the hand that holds his leash.

One hypocritical old cunt, Ouseley spouting about morality while upholding the oaths of the most amoral institution in the nation would be laughable if it wasn't so fucking insulting.

Perhaps one of the few token black people in the House of Lords might be better employed highlighting the racism that exists in his own place of shirk. The dishonorable Lord, though, being more concerned with protecting the perks and the platform his peerage affords him, won't go biting the hand that holds his leash.

One hypocritical old cunt, Ouseley spouting about morality while upholding the oaths of the most amoral institution in the nation would be laughable if it wasn't so fucking insulting.

Agree.

Being on the board at Man Utd you mean?

Shit like this is bound to dribble out from time to time, because the club - the owners, lawyers, PR people, etc - made such a bollocks of their decision not to appeal against the verdict of a lynch mob. Get used to it.

• 1 year later...

Love this.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/13/iverpool-luis-suarez-race-row-patrice-evra-all-false

Luis Suárez has risked reopening his race row with Manchester United defender Patrice Evra by claiming he has no regrets over the incident which he described as "all false".

The Liverpool striker was banned for eight games after being found guilty of racially abusing the Frenchman in 2011. However, Suárez says the only mistakes he regrets in his career involved twice biting an opponent. He told Sport890 AM: "Let me tell you, I've made only two mistakes in my career. My first was when I was playing for Ajax and I bit an opponent. My second was when I bit [branislav] Ivanovic [against Chelsea].

"The case with Evra was all false. I was accused without proof. But that's in the past. I was sad at that moment, but I'm happy today. I have grown up. I have thought more about things before doing them.

"Now people in England can't talk about me because I'm not doing anything wrong. They have to talk about me only as a footballer. I said I'm sorry [after the Ivanovic bite] and that was all, end of story. I've nothing else to regret. All the other things were like a movie that people in England believed in."

Suárez also admitted to fears over his fitness as he prepares to play for Uruguay at this summer's World Cup. "The truth is that I am scared of what happened to [Radamel] Falcao and [Theo] Walcott," he said, referring to the serious injuries picked up by the Monaco and Arsenal forwards.

"But you live in the present and you always give your best for your club - you can't be thinking about that all the time. It is a unique opportunity and we all want to be there but I prefer to focus my mind on the English league. The moment to think about the national team will arrive later."

and and why the fuck should he let it go? I wouldn't. Repairing his reputation then bringing up again is smart. About playing the game unfortunately.